💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wha??? ive had absolutly no luck decompiling and recompileing, how you doing it?
muffins. i might try it the same way i did the cookie model ^_^

Best answers
Though one thing . . . when I recompiled the Dragonball model, it's smaller because it didn't include the second skin. Some one . . . HELP ME!!! *cries* I don't know how to do this! *calms down*

Can I e-mail the files I have to someone, so they can help me finish this thing?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
meh... ive compiled some emeralds, im going in to test em now

Best answers
uh, we're talking about the emeralds I made . . . you know . . . my emeralds . . . which I worked hard on. Not your emeralds.

Best answers
lol worked hard on.....anyways, wing zero, quick question. What tools does gmax have that milkshape doesn't? im considering moving over to gmax or 3dsmax or w/e, but maybe someone can tell me the pros/cons of each? i heard gmax has like a cut tool or somethin..........can anyone inform me?

Best answers
Gmax/3Ds Max vs. Milkshape 3D, let's see . . .

Milkshape- it is easy to use, simple can compile models for half-life, Q3, and a million other formats. It is free for the first 30 days, then, if you want to use it afterwards, you have to register it, but it is only $25 or so. Unfortunately, Milkshape is more of a low poly modelling program, and it has limited tools and features, and you can only use it for models.

Gmax/3Ds Max- extremely complex, with a multitude of difficult to understand functions and tools. It is much, much more powerful than Milkshape, having so many more tools at your disposal, hense the extreme complexity. You can even make entire maps for games like Quake III. Yes, it does have a cut tool (about a million different tools for seperating, and mutilating your model), which is one of the reasons I chose Gmax to make my chaos emerald model (the cone shape being the second reason). Why the hell doesn't Milkshape 3D have a damn cone shape?

Unfortunately, it cannot compile maps for Half-Life or any other game on it's own. You need to get these Gmax game packs for certain games that let you compile them (I do not see Half-Life on the *extremely* short list of games they provide on their website). I don't know much about this. I really do not know how to compile Half-Life models myself with this thing, hense some of my troubles making my chaos emerald models, which I'm not even sure I want to release now, since shjing went and released his own Chaos Emerald models (which he made 2 months ago) the day after I announced I was making mine.

Anyway, Gmax is completely free, while 3Ds Max is the rediculously over-priced, uber expensive version (3Ds-Max 5 is $3,495.00!! That's $3500 bucks!) that has even more features, and is like "the best thing since sliced bread" (which is the way they make it sound).

3Ds Max is for professional 3D graphics designers. It's likely the Half-Life team themselves used 3Ds Max, or something similar to that when developing the models and graphics for Half-Life. I wouldn't get 3Ds Max just for modeling replacement models for ESF. It's a serious program, that costs quite a chunk of change.

Milkshape 3D is probably the way to go. Much less expensive, and much easier to use. I have no clue what to do with these chaos emerald models I made with Gmax. They are just sitting there, staring at me. They are begging me to give them bones, scale them, and are pleading with me to compile them, but I do not know how. I can't!

I NEED SOMEONE TO HELP ME!! Please?

[J]

Best answers
sorry, the only way to compile them would be to get the q3 gamepack for gmax and export to .md3 then import the .md3 into milkshape for compiling. :p

Best answers
Ah, I'm glad someone finally told me that, I looked around the stickies, and I didn't see it posted anywhere o_O . Now how do I get the Q3 game pack? Don't tell me I need to buy the damn thing! :scared:

*edit* I'm looking on the Quake website, and it has a bunch of downloads, but I don't know which is the one I need! Could it be the Q3A 1.27g Tool Source download? Could they make this any harder for me?

[J]

Best answers
it should be on www.discreet.com under gmax. It will be called the tempest gamepack. Thats how i exported my sonic and compiled it.

Best answers
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much! *worships you as a god, complete with his own shrine* Let's see if I can get this baby to work and release my own chaos emerald and ring models! w00t!

*goes to download Tempest Gamepack*

*after downloading, goes to install it*

*message appears on screen: *
68 File(s) copied
Could Not Find C:\gmax\gamepacks\Tempest\TempestDev.lnk

What the hell does that mean? What happened? I don't think that's supposed to happen.

[J]

Best answers
hmm not sure mine installed beautifully :p its nice when you get it to work though cuz gmax is such a better tool for modeling, just no compiling features lol thats why you still need milk

Best answers
well, I see it's working, I don't know what that error is, but one problem though: how the hell does this thing work? How am I supposed to turn it into a MD3 so I can then turn it into a .mdl (I downloaded something that takes an md3 file and compiles it and makes it a mdl file?

Best answers
Well, I'm trying to work on an improved version which would look more angled, like in the video games. It's going all right so far. I'll have pictures when I have the time. Right now I must stop procrastinating and get to work on my homework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom