[][] Helping Newbies At Art [][]

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, Well I just got this idea of a thread well replying to someones thread in the signature thread.

Well your prolly like well what is this, right? Well what my idea was that people who aren't new to photoshop, paint shop, ect could just post tips or little hints, ect about things they should learn or things that can help make art better.

This would baisicly cover computer art not drawings.

When I say this I don't mean newbies post there proplems, they can make threads for that. But what I'm talking about is that some good artists post some things that beginners should learn fast to get good.

---------- I'll Start ----------

[][] Something that is helpful to learn really early is what text should go were, like how to choose fonts, and make it look good. I'd recommend any beginner and even pros to practice this, even I open up old .psd's and try to work with the text to make it better.

[][] Another helpful thing is blending, I see alot of times when people blend there stuff by changing the opacity or whatever you do in paintshop pro [I use photoshop 7] In photoshop there are some nice things in a drop down bar, which is on the "Layer" box, it would normally be set to "Normal" but you can change it.

----------

Please add more, and if this shouldn't be in this forum move it, I wasn't sure were to put it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
get good at cutting out with the marquie tool. dont use the free hand, or magnetic marquie always use point to point so you have more control over what you are doing.

get to know your image>adjustments menu because you will be using this alot when you start on the more advanced works.

as for the fonts you really cant learn which fonts to pick because what font you pick alld epends on your style. alot of the time you wont be able to find a font that you think would go well with something, in this just dont use one, or you can search for hours trying to download new ones.

eventually try to come up with some sort of insignia to put on your work. that way it makes it a little harder to rip. granted if a pro wants to rip your work he can with ease but chances are a pro wont want to bother with your work.

you make think the pen tool is useles, but its very helpful when doin photomanipulations and other stuff where u have to draw crap.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Somthign I would recommend for beginners, and I did this, is just sit down for an hour with free itme, just you and photoshop or whatever and mess with brushes, layers, blending, filters, maniuplating, ect.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Use blending modes. Double click a layer and go house on the blending options. Even at default paraments, you can get some nice effects going. And also, don't be shy about layering several of the same image in the same spot over itself, then running some filters on each, and use blending modes to blend them together. You can get some really wild effects going.

Oh, one more tip for the rookies: there is no "lightning" filter. A lot of people think you just click it, and it happens--it doesn't. A lot of initial images in photoshop begin their existence as colored different clouds. **** with the contrast, and you'll see that you can even use difference clouds for things like encrusted blood, smoke, mountains, rocks, or even my fave, the lightning.

Best answers
lol, I read a tutorial on how to do lightning, and I messed up, and it looked like i made a mountain range... it was sweet, but I deleted it on accident.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When following a tutorial make sure you follow it perfectly. If you run into trouble, such as not being able to find a certain effect, then you should check what version the tut was made with, if its a later or ealier version then check the Help + Search thing for that effect. Also, always try to use tutorials that are ment for your skill level, back when I started out I had alot of trouble trying to do some awsome tuts but didn't understand alot of it.

The "Fade *Filter*" Effect is in a different location in Photoshop 6 then in Photoshop 7, so that throws people off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom