ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i have and 6+ old system and i can't say that i'm happy with it. I would buy a new one in this moment if i had the money.
Spunky, spending 300-400$ on a new PC isn't just for 1.3. You can play other games too. :)
Although it would be nice if you guys manage to do some sort of compatibility mode in Esf so that almost everyone can play it.
Just my 2 cents.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can already play most games just fine... except ESF, apparently.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can already play most games just fine... except ESF, apparently.
Most games such as? Anything released in 09? When I mean that I mean something not using an altered version of an old engine like Source. I mean like the current unreal SDK and whatnot. And why not just swap out the CPU? Even on an older system it's not that hard. It could probably be done for $50 or less tbh.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343 4025&name=$25 - $50

All under $50. Anybody can afford that, even if you need to save up for a few months.

I still say it's unfair to expect ESF to use old standards just because the engine is old.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even if you don't care about playing a game on low settings, I highly recommend that those with older computers upgrade their hardware. Not just for ESF, but for other games. Every year the requirements are getting higher and higher, eventually you'll be left in the dust with your older computer, unable to play a new game on the lowest settings possible.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE
So I have no SSE2? If so, well, I guess it's over. No ESF for me.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't just upgrade my CPU. I would if it were as easy as that. Newer CPUs use a different socket. I'd have to buy a new motherboard, which means a new video card (this one is AGP), and new RAM. There's no way a 10.5" card is fitting in this case either. I'd have to buy a new PC altogether, which I don't feel like doing while I'm perfectly content with what I have. I couldn't even if I wanted to, I don't have a job at the moment. All of my time is spent on school.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I suggest you start raising money from now so that you can buy a new rig. It's an achievable goal considering that ESF will still be in production for a while.
I mean, that's what i'ill do. :)

I can't just upgrade my CPU. I would if it were as easy as that. Newer CPUs use a different socket. I'd have to buy a new motherboard, which means a new video card (this one is AGP), and new RAM. There's no way a 10.5" card is fitting in this case either. I'd have to buy a new PC altogether, which I don't feel like doing while I'm perfectly content with what I have. I couldn't even if I wanted to, I don't have a job at the moment. All of my time is spent on school.
Dude, believe me, i'm in the exact position that you're in right now.
But i thing i'll manage to buy a new one in about an year. lol :)

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ugh, you're rig is right on the edge of when pretty much all the standards simultaneously kicked it up, eh?

Still you could probably get a cheap mobo, cheap CPU, and there are still some reasonable AGP cards in the nvidia 7 series, all of which is pretty cheap these days.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The best solution would be to raise money efficiently. Meaning that instead of spending money to buy an older system that you get rid off in one year you should add money to the cookie jar as much as you can until your target is reached. :)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
there's not much to tell, ESF will require SSE2, simple as that.Therefore some ppl will have to upgrade their CPUs. A SSE2 compatible CPU is like 5bucks on Ebay and the Steam Hardware survey states that 98.9% and increasing have SSE2. Therefore we will use it as it provides way faster math functions. Anyways that's not the topic so stay on it.
Only SSE2 instruction? How about 3DNow!? Source engine support this code (only for AMD processors), which improves the performance of many graphic-intensive applications. Can you explain to me?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't just upgrade my CPU. I would if it were as easy as that. Newer CPUs use a different socket. I'd have to buy a new motherboard, which means a new video card (this one is AGP), and new RAM. There's no way a 10.5\\" card is fitting in this case either. I'd have to buy a new PC altogether, which I don't feel like doing while I'm perfectly content with what I have. I couldn't even if I wanted to, I don't have a job at the moment. All of my time is spent on school.
A 10.5" card Spunky? You plan on buying a $400 video card for this new computer? Be realistic. You need a new mobo, CPU, and video card. It would all fit in your current case.

Mobo: $45 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157158
CPU: $65 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=Athlon_II_X2_250-_-19-103-681-_-Product
GPU: $50 (6" long) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131178&cm_re=4650-_-14-131-178-_-Product
Total: $160

For the price of just over 3 brand new video games at $50 each, you can have a brand new computer!

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It wouldn't be $400 for the video card... Do you know anything about hardware prices right now?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

If I bought a new computer, it wouldn't be something cheap that I'd just have to replace again. I'd want it to (ideally) last as long as this one has, if not longer. Not realistic seeing the pace the technology is moving at, but still. I don't want a tinker toy. The hardware you posted all sucks.

Last edited:
NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's just funny. I play HL games: HLDM, CS, ESF 1.2.3, I play HL2 games: HL2DM, CSS, DODS, TF2, etc. Heck, I play UT3! And I can't play a HL mod because of some visual feature that I don't even care about. Fascinating.

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
kinda reminds me of all the haters that posted on the Battlefield2 Forums when they realized they had to upgrade their hardware. Yet still it was a very very successfull game, despite that everyone said it would be a total failure because they required ppl to move on with their hardware. Spunky has a point though, and if we weren't a mod I would surely try to deliver two sets of client.dlls but right now we can only make one choice and that would be the one that gives the game a better performance eventually.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My CPU is 4 years old now. And it can run SSE2 spunks. Yes i know that my CPU is the reason why my games run like crap. But its old and it cant be helped.

Computer hardware is outdated half a year after it comes out maybe even faster. 4 years is really old and 6 years is close to prehistoric.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good call Tenzo. DDR3 is priced about the same as DDR2 now so that wouldn't be a big deal. I just don't particularly like AMD chips. They turn any room into an oven.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good call Tenzo. DDR3 is priced about the same as DDR2 now so that wouldn't be a big deal. I just don't particularly like AMD chips. They turn any room into an oven.
Buy a proper am3 heatsink and you're set. It's around 15-20$.
The difference in price between Intel and AMD is kinda big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom