• No, not really, dont care to much for it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ya, sorta, i like it a lil bit

• what is Red Vs Blue?

• Total voters
Best answers
What are opinions on the best methods to use when carving?

Currently I want to create a pillar type object in my map. I've approached it by firstly creating a large tall block solid and carving away at its sides to shape it into a circular-ish (big rock pillar is not an exact circle anyway) shape.

This makes the pillar into a number of brushes. Does this greatly affect the speed of the map?

PS and is there a way to add extra vertices to a brush? It would make carving life a lot easier.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
dont use the carve tool often .. it sux and its lame. use the vertex manipulation tool instead of carving.

and with the vertex m. tool you can add faces to the brush. select two opposite vertexes and press ctrl+F

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Carving can really mess up brushes sometimes. Sometimes when you carve, the tool gets messed up and extends a face of the brush beyond the map matrix and on to... infinity.
When I have to carve stuff, I use the Clipping Tool a lot. Try that. :D

Best answers
What is the difference between the carving tool and the clipping tool?

I have been using the method of creating a brush, placing it over/in the other existing brush so the overlap is what I want to delete from the existing brush. Take the selection tool and press Ctrl+Shift+C.

DJReady - I guess I know which tool you mean by vertex tool. It is the one that lets you drag each vertex/side around independantly or in groups, yes? I will try out adding new faces to a brush as it might make doing this a lot easier.

I was going to keep my map secret, as I might not get it finished... but I'm trying to make the area where the Z-Sword was in the pillar of stone in the middle of that lake. I have a month off Uni so I hope I can get it done.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The carving tool lets you take a shape of one object and carve it into another, it is not always reliable. The clipping tool is a tool that lets you cut of parts of your shape. add a new level of vertecies and I forget if there is one more thing ;D.

Best answers
I've been playing around with it for a few hours... both methods seem to have their own problems which make it long and torturous to make some sort of smooth-ish edges on a pillar.

I thought i would try and make a "dome" cutter (like a pool) by using a cylinder to make a 1/16th of the dome then pasting & rotating that piece. It worked, and I got my dome prefab but when I try to cut a square block with it Hammer freezes. I guess it can't handle cutting away at such minor angles.

Does anyone know some good prefab sites? More like prefabs for molding and shaping brushes than item type prefabs.

The cliping tool seems to play up, or I don't understand what it is doing. I know how it works but I want to make a pillar with rounded top edges on it. The cutting tool only allows me to really slice away at 4 of those edges. If I do a Ctrl + M transform and rotate the brush and cut on different angles, many bad things start to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom