Best answers
Ever wanted a moving shadow? Maybe from some cirkeling planets? Any expirienced mapper could tell u that its not posible, cuz the HL engine only renders 1 shadow per object, take for example a door, it stands between a bright and a dark room. If u saw it from the darkside, light would be coming right trough, because its a func, wich the hl engine dosnt render.

So if u have a cirkeling planet in the sky, and u want it to cast a moving shadow, its imposible. But not if u trick ppl into thinking its a shadow. It can be done by making a very flat, and black disc identical with the one in the air. just flat, black and on the ground. Shift it a litle to the one in the air, unless the light is coming from straight above, then place it right underneth. We are making it a Func_rotating, to make it moving. What does all this give us?

A flat, black, rotating disc.... Hmm now if we set the Render mode to texture and the Fx amount to 40 its sudently seetrough... making it look like a shadow rotating.....

This is not a image, its a Zip file, right click on the link and press save as... Then u open the downloaded "jpg file" with your winzip or winrar and unzip the example.rmf

Example map

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While a good idea in principle, what about when the terrain is uneven? It wouldn't be possible to make the shadow move over the terrain and have it keep looking like a shadow, would it?

-Karrde-

Best answers
mmmh...very nice idea, Ill have a look...
but there is one thing Im worrying about: shadows fade from the dark area into the illuminated area and this disc ends abrupt.

interesting topic...

*edit*
@ Karrde: jup! youre right...but I think an uneven area is not a big loss compared to a moving shadow!!!
*edit*

Best answers
*clapclapclap*
I had a look, and I can tell ya...its really cool!
This pic cant show how it really looks like, youve gotta see it yourself!!
Did you work that out on your own?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now the question of the hour is can you get the disc to change size as a function of the distance of the object whose shadow it is? Then again, with the current build of ESF, is there an entity for making moving objects at all?

-Karrde-

Best answers
No i dont think so, i guess u have to use spirit to do that. And yes its my own idea, it just hit me yesterday that u could trick ppl to think they saw a moving shadow... But didnt

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
i know that technique of making "dynamic" shaddows in hl ... but its only usefull for a few objects in maps. becouse if you have a map full of func_rotatings, you epoly would be incredible high and the map would lag :(
but its a nice example map :)

Best answers
good idea TAz, i like ur maps

btw, thx for learning me how 2 map

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom