Best answers
I have been modeling in Milkshape for a while, and have just switched to 3ds max. The way I model is I have like 10 cylinders and I shape them and connect them all when I am done. The one problem is I can't figure out how to connect these cylinders in 3ds max. I can sort of get a crude system that works for connecting the wrists or feet but for areas like the neck and especially the hair I can't get it to work.
Does any one know of any tutorials that can help me, or can anyone tell me how to do this. Or should I just switch my entire style of modeling.

Best answers
its hard to solve your problem because you havent given any details, max is a complex program. i can give some suggestions though.
-to connect two meshes together in max, select one mesh and go to the modify tab, select the faces where you want to connect the mesh and delete them, so you have a hole. do the same with the other mesh, so there is a hole in each mesh where they will be connected.
-before you connect the meshes together, you need to make sure that there are the same amount of vertices on each mesh where you are connecting (eg 7 vertices around both holes), and you need to line up the vertices as if they where connected.
-once that is done, select one of the meshes, go to the modify tab, and select 'attach', and click on the mesh you want to connect to. select all the vertices you want to connect, then scroll down the modify panel until you find the 'weld' button, click that.
and the vertices should be connected, and you have one mesh.

There are lots of tutorials around that cover this, and explain it better, just search for some 3dsmax tutorials.

and finally, keep your modelling style if it suites you, and you can get results with it. I usually just start with a box and then sculpt it into my model, so then i dont need to connect anything because its all one mesh.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if anyone can give me a link to a plugin for 3dsmax4 to import .smd and/or .mdl files, i will be very grateful.

Best answers
hmmm another way to connect two meshes in max is to do a boolean if you know what this is. if you don't so answer me or pm me and i'll write a short tut for you :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom