New game mode: Boss Mode

Would you like to see this in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Yes, but let me tell you what I'd like to change....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
This mode is for many players and is played in rounds, with one 'Boss' player chosen at random. The boss player's health scales in real time according to the number of players in the server, he gets a 'Temporary boost in powerlevel' which is the player's current PL multiplied by 3, and he also regains 20hp after every kill. He also gets first pick on his hero. Furthermore you can click on a button that says 'Prefer Boss' so that you'll be more likely to get the role than players who do not click this button.

There will be a fighting time limit of 1 minute. After the minute is up, the boss will fight a different opponent. The next opponent will be displayed in the HUD, so that everyone will know that he is up next to fight and then he can position himself accordingly.

• The 'Lesser' fighters are all on the same team against the boss, but take turns fighting him 1 at a time.
  • The 'Lesser' fighters CAN transform
  • All the 'Lesser' fighters who aren't fighting the boss (and are still alive) can fly around the map but can not do any attacks or use turbo-fly (because it would get too distracting for the main two). But they CAN teleport.
  • The boss CAN damage living players ONLY WITH ENERGY ATTACKS. You'll have to either block the attack or teleport out of the way to avoid damage.
  • Nobody is allowed to pick the same two fighters in this mode. No duplicate Gokus, Vegetas, etc. When the round is over everyone picks new fighters. If two or more people pick the same fighter at the same time then one person will get it at random, and the others are forced to pick someone else.
  • A 'Round' is complete when either the Boss is defeated, or when all of the 'Lesser fighters' are defeated.
  • The 'Lesser' fighter in queue to fight next can begin charging an energy attack while he waits, and as soon as it is his turn to fight he can fire it.
  • If a 'Lesser' fighter survives the first minute, then he regains 2 health every 10 seconds while waiting for his next turn.
  • Boss regains 20hp after every kill.
  • Boss's health scales in real time according to the number of players in the server
  • Player who gets the Boss role will have their powerlevel temporarily multiplied by 3 until defeated.
  • Fighters (other than boss) who are killed in battle will respawn in 'Ghost Form' which is a copy of their model except it is 50% transparent with a white hue. All ghosts can only fight each other, and can not do damage TO nor take damage FROM any living characters. Living characters can not see the Ghosts.
  • Every map will have a special training area. To enter, walk though the door (or cave entrance or whatever) and you'll be taken to an area where you may fight FFA style with other living fighters to increase your power level. You'll do no damage and take no damage in this mini-zone. If you're next up to fight you will be teleported to the outside entrance of the training area when your timer reaches 0:30s, and unable to re-enter until you've survived the boss for 1 minute.

Let's discuss and evolve this idea!

EDITS: I changed mechanics for the boss's health. I think it should scale instead of being set. Also, no restrictions on the number of players per server. I've also added the ability to transform, the ability to fight other defeated fighters in 'Ghost Form' and I've proposed a temporary increase in the Boss's powerlevel. Changed health regen for standard players to '2 per 10 seconds' instead of '1 per 10 seconds'. Added 'Training area'.

HUD1.jpg

cave.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We had something like this we talked about. Broly Mode.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People have been suggesting this for quite a long time, the usual response is that it wouldn't really work well in a game like this. Especially if someone really good got broly.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Yeah, too unbalanced, and could be achieved with an honor system.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think the idea of Broli mode was ever shot down, just that Broli isn't really going to be in ESFF. So Cell, perhaps? Some unique game modes wouldn't hurt.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There was a sneak peak of Broccoli in the character select during one of the live streams. But I dunno, in theory the idea sounds fun but its hard to code the ai so it doesn't get abused by the players. There's not a whole lot a bot can do against people attacking from every direction.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There was a sneak peak of Broccoli in the character select during one of the live streams. But I dunno, in theory the idea sounds fun but its hard to code the ai so it doesn't get abused by the players. There's not a whole lot a bot can do against people attacking from every direction.
That was GG and Kamas Brolly for 1.2.3 It was a test of the old skin selection system from the open betas.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Z, what does a bot/AI have to do with anything here?

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I personally don't think that it would be worth the effort to implement seperately.

Like I said, honor system on a server.

The problem I can see is that the person being the whole regeneration of HP thing isn't gonna work properly. He only gets an absolute maximum of 24 HP per wait. That's a tad too much, IMO. It makes it so that you'd have to be a truly great player to win while playing as the boss, but you could just be ESFn00b to win as a 'lesser'.

Also, I'm not too sure about the charging the energy attack. E.g, p1 charges spirit bomb with a high server PL average. He fires as soon as the other player's time is up, and the boss just gets gibbed.

Take the same example using a Kaméhaméha wave, it'd be awful for the boss.

All in all, I think it needs more balancing to the boss before it can be implemented as either an honor system or an actual add on to the game.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've always liked the idea of a co-op mode, but a mode like this would be different. A lot of you weren't around during the apex of 1.1 and 1.2 and don't understand how absolutely retardedly skilled people got at this game.

I would also like a "damage done" mode as well. No deaths but the system will keep a score of the total damage done and determine a winner based on that. A round would be 15 minutes to keep it fair and balanced and you'll be forced to pick a different character at each round end to keep it interesting. Maybe even forced to pick a random character.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Am I the only one here who has no idea what the **** horatio is talking about, mainly whenever he brings up this "honor system"?

The idea isn't really a bad idea and has been brought up multiple times, and I'm pretty sure the last time there was a big discussion about it, it wasn't entirely shot down. It'd be interesting to see a game mode similar to people going against the super bot, except it actually being balanced. I could see this being considered if there's enough time to do it once everything else is complete.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Am I the only one here who has no idea what the **** horatio is talking about, mainly whenever he brings up this "honor system"?
I was saying that you could make a server, where there are no actually, built-in rules, like a server mod. Just a list of rules stated at the MOTD screen that people are advised to follow at risk of people getting annoyed at him.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say let's first have the Kanonball Z mode implemented.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
Or my suggested Cell vs all mode ...

Which thread is right below this one...

http://forum.esforces.com/threads/155646-Suggestion
Except that, like, mine is actually something thought out with a little depth to it, instead of just "HAY GUYZ, LATZ PLAY THA CELL GAMESZ!?!?!" With mine we don't NEED cell to be the boss, it could be Vegeta or Piccolo or Frieza or whoever the *F* you want it to be... How dare you link that brain-fart of a thread in to my thread which I actually put some thought in to.

--- edit ---

I personally don't think that it would be worth the effort to implement seperately.

Like I said, honor system on a server.

The problem I can see is that the person being the whole regeneration of HP thing isn't gonna work properly. He only gets an absolute maximum of 24 HP per wait. That's a tad too much, IMO. It makes it so that you'd have to be a truly great player to win while playing as the boss, but you could just be ESFn00b to win as a 'lesser'.

Also, I'm not too sure about the charging the energy attack. E.g, p1 charges spirit bomb with a high server PL average. He fires as soon as the other player's time is up, and the boss just gets gibbed.

Take the same example using a Kaméhaméha wave, it'd be awful for the boss.

All in all, I think it needs more balancing to the boss before it can be implemented as either an honor system or an actual add on to the game.
OMG DOES ANYONE READ? I SAID THE BOSS GETS 20hp PER KILL!!! That's a maximum of 80HP recovered this way once he kills the first 4. Every fighter he kills will give him 20HP!!! (but we can tweak this number) thats why we're here! to play with and balance this idea together! C'mon guys.... put a little effort in to it. I'm not your mommy and I'm not going to make your bed for you.

And in regards to the whole "p1 charges spirit bomb and fires as soon as time is up" that is exactly the point! But some how you're pretending like it's not totally easy for the boss to either block or teleport out of the way? Have you actually played ESF? Anyways, the boss would really have to not be paying attention or slip up in order to get tagged by a guy who u can see charging from a mile away. And there would be no Instant Kamehameha this way because the 'Lesser' fighters can't transform! AND THE BOSS STARTS THE GAME TRANSFORMED!!! *READ MY ORIGINAL POST!!! READ IT!!*

Furthermore, do you remember how I said that all of the other players who aren't fighting CAN'T USE TURBO FLY?? Ofcourse not because you didn't read it... But imagine them just flying around at their normal unbuffed fly speed following the fight. Now picture this: The current 'Lesser' fighter is battling the boss and losing. Meanwhile, his friend is charging up a Special Beam Cannon. The timer has only 2 seconds left! The lesser fighter hits the boss in to the ground, the clock changes, and SPECIAL BEAM CANNOOOOOOOOON!!! Lesser players win the game. It would be hard to pull off but it could be done. .... OR.... the current lesser fighter could also try and sit close to their allies or block most attacks and run away (akin to Gohan fighting Frieza when his dad got hit in to lava) to buy them time for everyone else to heal. Although you do that and risk the transformed boss firing off his powerful energy beams at you from a distance.

--- edit ---

The idea isn't really a bad idea and has been brought up multiple times, and I'm pretty sure the last time there was a big discussion about it, it wasn't entirely shot down. It'd be interesting to see a game mode similar to people going against the super bot, except it actually being balanced. I could see this being considered if there's enough time to do it once everything else is complete.
Thank you so much!! Finally someone who read my post! :-D I'm a happy panda.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Jeez bro, calm down.

You're gonna get a heart attack or your jugular will burst or something...

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
Jeez bro, calm down.

You're gonna get a heart attack or your jugular will burst or something...
That has zero effect on what I'm trying to accomplish here: A balanced and fun mode which could actually be implemented with success for the benefit of all ESF players.

You should discuss my anger in an off-topic thread, because I'm trying to accomplish something here with the HELP of others. Posts like this are totally useless.

edit: Useless trolls insecure about their lack of creativity will do anything in a desperate bid for attention. Even negative attention. Makes me sad when people have no concept of who they are or how the world sees them.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Look, how about this. I'll edit this post right here later when I can answer your points and build a mode that might be good to add to the game. Just kidding, man. Seriously. :p

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TBH I find the OP's "in-depth" details terrible. For the game mode to work and not be underplayed, it should be something much less generic as limiting the people count to 6, giving HP for kills and restricting awesome game features. Perhaps I'll do my take on how the Boss Mode should be later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom