Best answers
I been trying out Milkshape 3d 1.6.4 and i've been having problems;/. So i just want to find out which is better: Milkshape 3d or 3dMax?

please anwser if you've had experience with both and some good tutorials you might know.

Best answers
milkshape is more easier controls while 3ds is more complex if anything i would go for 3ds but i use both

Best answers
ok thanks, i think my 30 day trial just ended though so im gonna go try out 3d Max.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
milkshape = 20$

3dsm = 3000$

so nautural u wouldnt want to cash out 3k unless u REALLY like modeling

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In my opinion Milkshape is more user friendly, but it is harder to model in Milkshape than it is in 3dsmax!! Cuz, in Milkshape, u do vertex modelling, but in 3dsmax, u carve and manipulate a starting object!!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
yeh i use milkshape mostly but i am starting to use 3ds max which is alot more manageable whe you have a really chunky model.

Vassago

V
How about...NEITHER of those programs! ;)

The best applications for organic modeling and animation are Lightwave, Maya and Softimage.

3dsmax is O-K, but wasn't made for organic modeling. Not even Max5.

Lightwave - $2,499
3dsmax - $5,500
Maya - $15,000
Softimage - $8500

My favorite app is Lightwave - it's just the fastest and easiest to use, imo. Plus is was made for ppl who do organic modeling, and it's tools only prove that.

Anyways, you can always download trials of all of them and see which one you like yourself :)

★ Black Lounger ★
Best answers
i use a combonatino of milkshape and 3d max. I really dont care what u use for modelling....its what ever u feel comfortable with. there is no way to tell which is better....its all what you prefer. Usually people learn on program and stick with it. I could care less. But i do know if uwanna go to george lucas schools they use softimage for their animations and modeling i beleive.

Best answers
Milkshape

• Simplest of the modelling programs.
    Cheapest.
    Not often used by professionals because of it's simplicity, but for most of us here, it will do.
    Models are done Poly-by-Poly, which is more time consuming.
    No renderering capabilities.

3ds MAX

• Great Rendering Capabilites
    You make the model out of pre-modified shapes, so if you are good at it, it goes quicker.
    Usually it deforms better when animated because it is made out of shapes, but not always.
    Expensive as hell.
    You can get a student discount, which drops the price ALOT.
    Has many many more features than milkshape, but you most likely wont use alot of them.
    Wasn't originally made for character design.
Lightwave

• Many included plugins that are actually useful.
    Great for player/character modelling.
    Least Expensive Professional Modelling Program
    If you get a student discount, you can get it for like 200 USD or less.
    I think you can model the fastest using this program.

Maya

• Most advanced 3d design program.
    Has awesome capabilities other than modelling, especially animation.
    Keystroke Animating
    Used to be VERY expensive, but it has dropped down to a mere 1500 USD. That's a huge drop compared to the 15,000 and 7,500 that it used to cost.

Soft-Image

• I've heard about this program, and seen many movies and things made in it, but I have not used it myself, so I can't give advice on it.

If you are just beginning, I'd go with Milkshape, because it's a mere 20 USD, and you get a 30 day trial.

Discreet Site (makers of 3ds max) (trial available)
Lightwave (trial available)
Maya (trial available)
Sorry No Link for Soft-Image, maybe Vassago Will Provide One ;)

There are many other modelling programs out there, but these are the most popular. There is another one on my mind that I can't think of at the moment, but once I do, I'll tell you.

**EDIT**

I remember it, it's call mirai. Its 6,500 USD.
Mirai Site

★ Black Lounger ★
Best answers
actually sonic any model I make in milkshape is made with primitive shapes....the way u add detail is by subdivision. So u can make models with boxes and cylinders with milkshape and its fairly easy.

Best answers
pfft...

a "viewpoint" renderer...

im in awe :shocked:

but really, its the most basic of renderers, and 3ds max has a MUCH MUCH better rendering system

Best answers
wonder.....

I was curious, what's the best free one out there for those who just wanna get a starting look at modeling?

Best answers
Re: wonder.....

Originally posted by Mr. Hyde
I was curious, what's the best free one out there for those who just wanna get a starting look at modeling?
milkshape

Best answers
If you are a beginner, use Milkshape 3D, if you are more experienced with modeling use 3D Studio Max, but Gmax is like 3D Studio Max, so get Gmax for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom