Melee good or bad you decide. (Official Melee Post)

Do you like the ESF melee system

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• It should be changed.

• Lets talk about something else.

• Total voters
Best answers
Alright . I'll admit , the melee looked good in the trailer , but dear God . It's fun for the first five minutes , but after that , it's whorish . Let me explain a bit .

First , everyone fights like a sissy . Swoop , attack , then hold block until other guy attacks , attack , repeat . And everyone friggin' does it . Either that , or swoop , attack , spam kiblast . Also , block doesn't work as often as it should ( Guy stood in front of me and held attack , while I held block , and he got through on the second shot ) , nor does attack ( I swoop , run into them , hold left attack .. nothing . Click it . Nothing . I get knocked away . )

Secondly , the targetting system sucks . You target them , swoop , miss a shot , and then keep going to be safe , and you un-target them . Turn to retarget ( Much slower now ) , bam , you're flying , and still can't target . At least allow us to target after being stunned . And yes , it's a beta . That's why I say to improve for the next release .

Another thing is the fact that it's extremely easy to double-team , even accidently . There should be something that lets you know your teammate ( In team and CTDB ) has the guy targetted for melee , so you can avoid cheap shots . In DBZ , when it was 2v1 , the guy on the 1 side could hold his own , despite being attacked from both angles . And I'm talking Goku + Piccolo vs Gohan , when they were out training . Gohan was weaker , but he held his own .

Finally , this is a bit of beef all it's own . The melee system reminds me too much of BFP , where you looked at them , hit the melee key , swooped forward , and stunned them , then could blast them or keep stunning them . It was cool for a few minutes , but then you found the whores .

Frankly , the new release as a whole is good , but when you get down to the melee , it's not that great after you get out of a LAN with a friend . The models are good , the animations are good ( Mmm , Burning Attack and Trunks going SSj ) , general effects are good ( Ki 'blob' ) , but the melee ? Bleah . No one fights differently , it's too damaging and fast ( 10 HP for a hit , another 10 if you hit something ) , and it's generally whorish . If there a delay between attacks , and if you could swoop even at close range to move away it'd be great . But , oh well .

Best answers
Melee is overused in games.After a longday of beta one MOST people just use melee,it gives no one a chance to use beams cus the insane speed u get when u are using melee just lets u get there before they can throw the beam.it is WAY to over powerd,What ever happend to the good old beam wars in alpha 2.0?,Melee just unbalanced the game big time,Althought i gotta admit,i kinda over use it to..But this feature takes the fun outta the game

Best answers
Originally posted by <MRA>+PpC+
Remeber in the Alpha? All of those people spaming BBA? Well, now they tosted out the BBA and threw in a melee..
what the heck is BBA?? I voted no because melee is just too powerful and too cheap. A person can gain an instant speed boost and do a super punch that can knock u out in an instant. That is waaaayy to unbalanced. To make matters even worse, they do it again and again and again constantly doing melee on u. You end up not being able to move as you are being punched around like a beanbag. I'm sorry but recover just aint doing it because right when u are recovered, you see ur enemy flying towards you and punching you once more. Back to the point, melee really defeats the purpose of beams because everyone uses melee and rarely anyone uses beams And it gets especially boring when every single person is doing melee and you see everyone flying around the map at super speeds punching each other. Wow, it really takes skills, to look at a person, press and hold down 2 buttons and you kill them. wTf!!!
And this game really reminds me of bfp with the melee and all. Maybe thats why bfp died so fast, omg........ Oh well.

Best answers
In every server I goto every person is overusing melee like crazy, its not that its bad, or that its hard to block cuz its not, but people don't realize how lame it is to be using the melee over and over and over and over again, almost everytime when i do get knocked down, I've had some newb sit over me and wait till i got up, then, before i can click my mouse, boom, i'm down again, it gets lame fast when people are using it like that, for the people that dont go crazy with melee, and throw a beam now and then, god bless ya..

Best answers
I am so with you Kronik, i refuse to sink down to their level and abuse melee. I'm all about the beams. They should make it so that u can't use melee constantly every single second and make it so that doing one melee punch will drain all your entire ki bar or something. somethng that will make it more balanced.

Best answers
They should add a feature to where when ur charging a beam and some dumbarse melee spammer starts flying at you,they should make it to where if they attack someone chargin a beam,the beam shouldnt be interupted on charge,the melee dmg shouldnt throw from you one side of the map to the other,give the charger a chance to withdraw his beam and move to a safer location to finish the charge,EX
I am charging a Kamahamaha
Melee fighter charges and hits me with melee dmg when im half way charging
I fly back a short distance But keep the beam still charging
Two crazy melee fighters charge at me from both directions
I withdraw the charge temporaly(u can only keep beam withdrawd for 10 secs before it disappears from charge)
I teleport to safety
Then i resume the charge and fire it succesfully
Should work like that,it would give beamers a chance wouldnt u think?

Best answers
ive played around a bit more and have realised something. you really can win the entire game without using a single ki attack. when in the show did they bludgen a main character to death? and when in the show did EVERY melee attack send the opponent flying? the "main attacks" were jabs and quick kicks that did little damage but could be thrown repedidly. only big punches that were thrown ocasionaly sent the enemy flying. youd see one of those for every 50-100 normal punches (serious). now another thing. when in the show can two people of equile power level fight, one person blasts him in the head with a full powered shot and the other guy still sends him flying?

basicly im just saying no, this melee system is not like the show, so stop using that as justification for keeping it.

and i do have sugestion. if someone blasts you with a full powered finisher, you get knocked out of swoop.

Best answers
even BETTER idea. remove swoop and make it so melee takes a (VERY SHORT) charge to knock back.

removing swoop gets rid of almost all your problems, and making melee take a short charge time keeps people from just standing over you to melee you again. since you can move while charging anyways this would fix every single problem without destroying melee from the game.

Best answers
i think to improve the melee, make it so your pressing of secondary fire must be timed like someone else suggested. While swooping, if you press the sec. fire it should make the char *do* their attack. So if you push it too early, you miss short of the player, and if you do it too late it could either allow them more time to realize you are gonna kick them or just do a smaller hit on them and not send them flying. I also think you should be able to punch, kick, sweep, uppercut etc. while not swooping. Think of this:

You swoop in, and kick a little too late, so you just knock into your target. You are now near each other. You now can commence some one on one in close range, and if the JK2 style duelling gets added this would be good for that. While not swooping, primary fire = punches, sec fire = kicks. I dunno how hard it would be to program, but if you tap a direction at the same time as a melee attack it could do a different type of attack. Example: punch + left \= left hook, punch + right = right hook, punch + up = uppercut.
This is just ideas, most people would probably not like the idea of keys + button at the same time cos its a bit too much like DMZ.

PS: I think there are a lot of people that dont like melee because they are used to the alpha where melee was non-existant. I also think some people dont like melee because it is too simple. Swoop, kick, swoop kick, etc. JUST REMEMBER: THIS IS ONLY BETA REALEASE NUMBER ONE. I'm sure they will add more to melee as the game develops, so instead of whinging about melee how it is now, goto the Suggestions forum and suggest ways to improve the melee!!!!!!!!!!!

People that say DBZ is "all about the beams" are wrong. ESF alpha 2.0 was all about the beams. DBZ and ESF Beta1 is about melee AND beams. And in the show melee FAR outweighs the use of beams. small Ki shots are cool! I love em.

Best answers
If U Really Notice It I have Been Observing People Play while on top of rocks and it really looks like tha anime on Toonami.

They were swooping at each other trying to hit each other until one of them actually did,Melee is perfect,just add struggles. :]

EDIT:For example:Freeza and Goku(but Not That Fast) they were going crazy meleeing each other but something esf can't do lol and is impossible i think is (melee so strong u melee each other through a mountain and the mountain falls down.:paper:

Best answers
Well, for me it's kinda a debateable topic really...

For the most part, yes, most ESF battles are going to be about melee. Being farely good at DMZ myself I can say it's like dealing with constant hyperpunchers! >.< Of course, it's fairly easy to counter hyper punches in DMZ. ^^;; Anywho, I'm drifting off topic...

I say give it a little bit, and if the same problems keep popping up, then address melee. But for now it's a fairly new/good system.

Swooping, I will admit needs to be toned down a tad... I mean... Cell form 2's swoop speed is damn near Tachyon speeds! o.0 And it gets a tad hard to block, let alone counter, someone who can swoop behind you before you can really humanly react, drill you into the ground/wall/ceiling and come back for seconds.

-_- So I think the swoop should be a bit faster than the Boost like suggested earlier in the topic, just because Boost is primarily used (Well, now that I think about it, it SHOULD be) to boost your power level so you have a chance to beat the guy you're fighting. And chuck a beam back at your enemy. ^^;; (Nice to know one of my guilty pleasures from DMZ is in ESF! =D) and it does'nt speed you up all that much in the air. Boost + Swoop should be the really fast stuff IMHO.

Anyways, I doubt anyone will read this whole thing through, so I leave a summary:

Melee should be given some worn in time. Perhaps swoop tuned down a bit. Block area should be a bit bigger... I think. Candy attack is fun. =9

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want some original kickin and punchin but,don't erase the swooping system ,i like it.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
What are you people complaining about????

The melee system is just fine.

The only bug is when someones lieing on the ground you can`t punch or kick him.:S

And for the n00bs blocking helps against melee attacks.(yes, i know i`m also a newbie to you)

I can`t wait for melee struggles.;D

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that's not a bug when someone is in his recovery period from melee you can't melee while he is trying to stand up.If you would read the manual you would know.

Best answers
this is it i know it let the speeding up with melee stay but if u punch him you can stay punching him and he can still charge beams and he doesn't hit walls until he has only 10 hp that would be cool :D

Best answers
There just needs to be something done to balance it out, or fix a few tiny errors in it.<br><br>
1. Even with low ping, the right click isnt very responsive. You can click a million times sometimes, and no melee action.<br>2. a low pl person barely hurts a strong, transformed person, while the transformed person unleashes a beating. This makes sense, but stronger people are just unrelentless with the melee sometimes, and weaker people just cry and cry and cry...<br>3. People who make servers (0 pingers) have massive melee advantage; they can charge you, you can block, unblock to try and attack, but be nailed before your character will do the attack. <br><br> This is just the OPINION of me and a few people I play with, so don't flame me or anything. My main complaint is the responsiveness of the attack button. At full charge, aimed right on the guy, he isnt even moving, I still dont hit them sometimes. Oh well, I still love the melee system, it is awesome. Great job.

Best answers
To my mind the meele is good ;)
But i have a problem with it:

Example:

I see somebody and attack with meele, he blocks the attack and then he can hit me down...
But when i block and somebody attacks me with meele i dont can it right?! I click right, but nothing happens. Just sometimes....
Of course the enemey is not far away, direct in front of me

How can i hit him when he direct is in front of me?(with meele)

Other problem:

I have with goku 1.75+, i try first time to become ssj, but all attacks me with meele, nobody wants that i become a ssj.
Maybe a shield would be good...

Best answers
i dont like the swoop/melee system as it is now..

when you come into a server the only thing going on is melee..

i think that when u use "swoop" you should loose KI
and, the swoop technique shouldent be iternal...

the beams arent geeting used this much anymore...
ofcause i see that the melle is funny.. but it kinda lets the beam attacks out, ... so :no:

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SwordMaster.. Swooping does drain KI.. It takes a good 1/8 of it on a full swoop.

You people say melee makes it so you can't shoot beams like you could in Alpha 2. Is anyone home? That is the whole damn point. YOu arn't supposed to shoot beams every 5 seconds. They are too damn strong to do that.

I also see people complaining about getting knocked down, then someone stays there and waits for them to get back up.. I have a 1 word solution. It is called "teleport"

I also saw someone suggesting being able to teleport away while charging a beam... Goku is your answer.

I do understand what you are saying about the block time being really slow and not allways working.. THose are simple tweaks.

I also saw someone saying spamming KI balls is a bad thing whn they are knocked on the ground... THATS WHY THEY PUT RECOVER TIME IN WHEN YOU GET KNOCKED DOWN.

If you use nothing but melee, you might get a few kills, but you are never going to be a big fragger. You need KI attacks to really rack up the kills.. Melee just knocks them down while you charge up your KI.

Look how many people changed their ideas of melee from bad to good when they realized how it worked... Give it time, get better at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom