Melee good or bad you decide. (Official Melee Post)

Do you like the ESF melee system

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• It should be changed.

• Lets talk about something else.

• Total voters
Best answers
Melee:

The bottom line is melee is easy to do, but hard to master. People who say beams are non existant are just impatient. I agree its harder to do them, but is that really such a bad thing? Before it was beam spamming with people just causing big radius blasts everywhere killing almost everyone instantly. The melee system has toned that down a bit which is good. Now it would of sucked if melee interupted powerstruggles, but luckily you become invulernerable to outside interferace when locked in one.

Melee is used a lot, but im sure that was intended. It certainly not an uber attack with no weakness. With the combination of block/teleport/melee/ and yes even beams. Melee can be countered.

I, like many, like melee. Sure it might not be perfect, but they are improving upon it (melee struggling). Also, i think people should give it more time and learn the game some more. At first i didnt like it either, especially when your getting owned. But as you play it more you learn all the cool tricks you can do with it.

All i can say is the game requires a lot more strategy now. No more stand in one place and shoot beams all day. If you do u deserved getting boucned around like ping pong ball. Lots of people are up in arms and annoyed because they ve been waiting for this beta for a long time and are displeased right away. Its understandable but it is uncalled for.

I for one am very thankful for such an enjoyable game. I especially love meleeing someone into the ground, ki balling them until a blast radius starts to grow, and then shooting a quick gen beam into it causing the blast to blow. Countless times that occured in the show, kudos to the team for getting that in.

Personally i don't understand why some people get so angry. Its not like you had to pay for this game. If anything we all should be thankful and supportive in our opinions.

And if anyone of you need help learning some basic melee tactics you can find my server "=*=ESF Q&A=*=, when im playing. Its not up all the time, but if you do happen to come across it, drop by if you have any questions. I will try to help with what ive learned.

Best answers
yeah the team has done a great job to capture the style of DBZ fighting in the game. when advanced melee gets made it will be even better.

and consider the fact that we even have these forums to voice our opinion on the mod. the team could just sit behind their screens making the mod however they want and release it and say "this is what you get, we like it so shut up and play or go away". but they dont do that. they read our ideas and take them into consideration, use the best parts and make the game the best it can be.

there should be a "praise" sticky thread if you ask me, for posting praise to the team for their hard work.

Best answers
I wonder what the people who suggest to remove swooping or making it go in one direction fixed are thinking. You would hit NEVER with fixed swooping except on servers with idiots who stand still all day. Even while charging a beam you can easily avoid melee attacks with the current system. Remove swooping and people will use beams 100% of the time because melee gets as useless as in alpha. I usually fight 65% melee 35% beams and it works just fine.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can melee a bit. (still working on it :D) but I got owned much. so let me tell why it does NOT ****.

Simple.... If someones under you slap him in the ground and kiattack. Above: Kick him high. He's bound to come back later by or great friend gravity. :D Hold a nice beam for theat. or maybe a next kick. Sides.... Easy.... block and kick. Or when there're far... get a good beam like GG which is strong now. :D Release on last sec. This will get ya damage to but the charge will finish the other.

See all can be countered.

Best answers
just played for a couple of hours and there is nothing wrong with how the mod is. even with just this basic melee it is great. melee struggles will make it exceptionally cool.

i also have to suggest a duel mode like JK2 has. it gets annoying when you are having a good duel with someone and then someone comes in and knicks your frag.

dont know why people complain about ki attacks not getting used. every round i was playing had beams, ki shots and ki beams going everywhere. the power struggling seems to be not as good as the alpha. maybe it needs some work.

a little bug i found: Gohan's ki shield doesn't disappear for a very long time. probably already know about it.
suggestions: while blocking, allow melee targeting to be activated. it's stressful on a 56k modem trying to release blocking for a half sec to press fire to lock onto the guy thats waiting for you to let your gaurd down.
make it so the rate that you can shoot ki balls increases with your PL. Not the speed that they fly, (well maybe a little) just the rate that you can fire them. Or even make it so when you are in turbo it shoots them faster.

HND

Best answers
i think the melle system is inovating.
its good in a way because when u play 1x1 u can dodge the melle very easy and if the guy keep spamming melle he will lost, but when the server is crowded melle sucks cause when u hit someone another guy come in ur back and most of the people spamm melle now, so that make teh kame hame and company pointless.

Best answers
well i also found just tonight LOOK AT YOUR SCOUTER

dear god you cant play without it. When you are looking one way (perhaps you've just kicked your target off somewhere) if you look at your scouter, look for red dots that are closing in QUICKLY onto you from behind/sides. As long as your mouse sensitivity is not on some stupid low speed, there is always enough time to spin around and block these swoopers. I think I had 2 people coming swooping in at me tonight from different directions and I blocked it all. So LOOK AT YOUR SCOUTER MORE!

Oh yeah, and once you block them, hit alt fire straight after while looking at them and send them on a trip. As long as they dont counter your counter, you have got a hit in on them.

Best answers
melee is what makes ESF so great. if you just want to sit around spamming everyone with beam attacks why dont you go play one of the many other mods that revolve around just shooting. the feel of hitting someone with melee is one of the most satisfying and innovative sensations in a half life mod. its also much better than going around punching and kicking till somebody passes out. the struggles are pretty pointless cause it doesnt require much effort like in DMZ where you had to tap your way to victory. its a matter of who has more ki. and who gets on the turbo faster etc. KEEP MELEE

Best answers
I know this probably wont be read or even considered by much and I have no clue if this was suggested already(I'd rather not waste my time going through 100+ posts in one sitting) but I strongly suggest giving this some thought.

Instead of having a one hit, one go FLYING, you could have a mini battle before this were to happen. Say both players were in melee mode, and the players engaged eachother in hand to hand combat. Have them move around TOGETHER and make fighting animations. There would be a struggle bar like for the normal struggle stuff, but this one for fighting. Whoever wins this 'struggle' or fight would knock the other guy flying while still taking damage from the initial struggle.

Don't get me wrong I love how the guys get knocked around and whatnot but it gets very anoying and tiresome fast! Expecially the newbs that only know how to do this! ARG! I just feel this would give an even more DBZ feel to it.

Best answers
The problems with melee struggles are:
They are either all about tapping buttons which is bad cause people with scripts win.
Or they are about pl and the people with the higher pl always win.
No skill involved. I dunno how the esf crew is planning to realize melee struggles in beta 2 but i think they will use a different concept.

Scruffie

S
Melee has it's bugs, that's true. Some people do overuse it, that's also true. But it's worse when you overuse beams, that IS true.

I hated it, there was no way to stop it! I can stop melee easy, just black, then hit them back. Nothing too difficult. Beams were impossible to stop, all you do was teleport away and hope you aren't caught in the blast.

Do you have a suggestion for making melee better? Fine, lets hear it, but no one can say that ESF was better without it.

I PS all the time on servers, maybe you just have bad luck when choosing servers. :p

Cypher X: I mentions that melee idea in SoS forums a while back, I love that idea of melee. I think they should consider it.

Best answers
Ok, in my opinion the meele system is perfect and requires extreme skill to use. Just because you can't beat NightShade at meele does not mean the system is flawed. I understand some might still think its unfair or flawed. But think about what it would be like without the meele system. Movement is relatively slow and the dbz feel would not be established without the meele dashes. All I would need to do to kick your ass is choose Vegeta , go ssj , shoot a big bang at your beam. While your power struggling my big bang , I can shoot another one :p , and then you go boom! It would be easy. I can sit there charging big bangs. You shoot a beam at me I let go of my big bang and teleport out of the way. You can't teleport out of your ps so you would have to destroy your beam and dodge my big bang. By the time you do this I would have another big bang ready. Without the meele system the game would be very very boring. Without the meele you wouldn't be able to kick me in the face , do a triple combo , and put a nice generic beam through me now would you .

Best answers
Oh and also , someone very early in the topic made the point that if you block someone charging at you from the front, you can't block the 3 people behind you. Umm... what to say , duh ? When you're going 4 v 1 you're not suposed to win , you're suposed to die. I mean, what, you want to be able to shoot 3 beams out of your ass o_O??????!?!?!?!

Scruffie

S
Don't double post use edit.

Um well, Goku (for example) never just crosses his arms and hopes they attack him from the front, he blocks all sides. Block should stop attacks from all sides, so there's none of getting past the block.

And yes, you're right, Melee does require skill. If you haven't got the hang of it, no need to become a whiner, just practice.

Best answers
Hmm I fought a 1 on 3 today(me being the lone 1) and my final score before disconnecting was 62-10. Beating 3 people (or 4) isn't that hard when they don't know what they are doing. Sure everyone can swoop at you but if he doesn't know how to do it properly you can knock him back every time. If you time it right even with 3 people attacking you beams are possible(SSJ Goku helps a lot with this). The thing with melee is that it takes more skill to master than beams and that pisses some people off. They want the simplicity of charging a beam and letting it go at an enemy who is preferably too slow to dodge the blast. That's just lame. The people who cry that they miss beams must have get something wrong because everywhere I go people use a mix of both and a mix is necessary to operate at top efficience.

Best answers
I like the melee system but I also agree it should be changed. As most people noticed, melee in the show doesn't just consist of one flying towards the other at insane speeds, and then biffing him in the face/being blocked and only doing 1 damage. There should be lesser punches and kicks that don't send the opponent flying so much. Also, swooping should cost a lot of ki or briefly stun the character after swooping.

Best answers
it was fun for like....15 mins....but after that....it just seemed like a hassle. u have to be a certain distance away...or it wont hit....u have to right click EXACTLY at the right time..or u sit there and stop. when ur charging at someone thats far away....it like...stops....when u get somewhat close to them. blocking is just plain ANNOYING now....

i say that they could keep it like this....change it so that if ur close to someone...u can just plain kick/punch them. teleporting should be changed to teleporting REAL FAR so when u melee a guy to the ceiling....u can teleport...then smash them to the ground (like in the show). otherwise though...i give the melee system for Beta.....7.5/10

nice try...but cmon....even ALPHA had basic punching...:\

Best answers
I think melle would be so much better if it was slowed down... alot cuz u can just speed half the map and kick some1's ass

Best answers
SSJ Vegeta:

Hey thats not such a bad idea...Since you can't melee when your super close, maybe you should beable to punch and kick? Im thinking this might be something similar to the melee struggle thing. Well anyways, the melee system will only get better, many of the team members mentioned its only in its infancy.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSJ Vegeta..

You CAN melee when you are real close. And if you read the manual, you would KNOW how to melee properly, because by your post you don't know how to at all.

It stops because you can only swoop for a certain period of time before you get tired, and have to stop for a second.. If you just swooped untill you clicked off it wouldn't be vary fair.

And if you knew how to teleport and melee properly you CAN do combos like in DBZ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom