What makes a HL mod server lag free? (e.g. ESF Final + NNK)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Hi

I will be moving in to a new apartment which I will share with my girlfriend. As we will have a good connection provided by the housing cooperative, and I will have a spare laptop without a screen doing nothing at all. I was thinking of starting an NNK/ESF server with pretty good uptime. However, I'm curious to see if this is feasible and wonder if a laptop can sustain a HL server without any hickups. So I'm wondering, what makes a good HL mod server? What makes it lag free?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would say use direct connect internet, A decent router/modem, and decent internet provider.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So it's not a spec issue, more of a connection issue? It would be connected to a fibre cable through a router with ethernet. But as I'm an avid downloader, can I somehow allocate bandwith to HLDS so that it can always have a certain amount of bandwith to work with? And how much is understood as good?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well having a wel specced comp will help since it won't be maxed just trying to do the client side work. But latency is just a a measure of how long it takes to communicate with the server. Again, connect directly (no wifi), have the mimimum number of interuptions in the connection (modem to router to computer), have a good internet provider, and make sure you're dedicating your bandwidth to the game.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea. It wont hurt to have a somewhat decent computer. But I was running a server back in 2005 24/7 with a Dell from 2001. No lag issues or anything.

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
What makes both NNK and ESF freeze whenever you run a server, or connecting to someone else server? I ask somebody who works with both ESF and NNK if the game might freeze if my horrible graphic will work with the new ESF final the game. He said it won't, I need to format my computer. I ask him if the new ESF and NNK are both the same and he said yes. If you run your own server or join in someone else server then the game will crash. Just like when i run NNK R1 and my whole screen crashed. I try to exit, but i won't respond and its kinda frustrating when you run a game like that, that is freezing on your computer.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well having a wel specced comp will help since it won't be maxed just trying to do the client side work. But latency is just a a measure of how long it takes to communicate with the server. Again, connect directly (no wifi), have the mimimum number of interuptions in the connection (modem to router to computer), have a good internet provider, and make sure you're dedicating your bandwidth to the game.
In regards to the connection, I seem to have a more than adequate start. However, your client side remark made me a bit confused. What I'm getting is that the computer itself needs to be able to run the game i.e. render it etc (even though it's just HLDS?) or? To be totally clear, I have a Macbook from mid 2009. Yes, I agree it's not what someone would imagine being a game server, but that is why I'm asking. Could this laptop run a HLDS ESF Final server even though it probably couldn't run the game itself (videocard issue)?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In regards to the connection, I seem to have a more than adequate start. However, your client side remark made me a bit confused. What I'm getting is that the computer itself needs to be able to run the game i.e. render it etc (even though it's just HLDS?) or? To be totally clear, I have a Macbook from mid 2009. Yes, I agree it's not what someone would imagine being a game server, but that is why I'm asking. Could this laptop run a HLDS ESF Final server even though it probably couldn't run the game itself (videocard issue)?

That shouldn't be a problem at all actually. I used to have a comp that couldn't run the game graphically but ran servers off of it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Running a nnk server seems pointless atm. nobody joining me :p
On esf they do join me but americans have 160 ish ping and russians or something have 300 ping -_-

Europeans like france have like 40-60 ping.
My friend wich is a few kilometers away from me has 30ish ping though.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Okey, well I guess I will have to try it out sometime soon, well with NNK atleast! But how about running two servers? Is that possible? What are the implications of that. And what about Linux? Why is that somehow considered as THE way to run HL servers (an observation I've made).

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, Linux is an incredibly stable operating system that runs even without any graphical subsystem. Windows can't to that. As such Linux is the first choice for dedicated server machines.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't say running an NNK Server would be useless. I just played a game with Jaudain and Tim N. a few minutes ago.

But yea, running two servers just depends on how well your computer can handle it. I would suggest trying it out to be honest. You won't know unless you try.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Okey, I'll give it a try as soon as I move in and with NNK. Right now I can't connect properly as the laptop doesn't have a screen of its own. However, it will have to wait a few weeks. Linux may be an alternative I will try in the future, however I think there were some problems in running a NNK server on Linux.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait are you talking about running a server? I might have misunderstood. If you're looking to run a dedicated server off your home box and not run the client off the same machine then it's just a question of having a quality internet connection. HLDS, regardless of the mod should take very little to run. Hell, even TF2's dedicate servers can be run well off a sub standard rig.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Woho! That's some good news! I just want to do something for both communities as newcomers to NNK are unable to find servers, because there aren't any. So a dedicated server, will hopefully mean something to those that wish to play. There aren't many, but there are some. And then with ESF, it's just a matter of doing something fun. Support Final with a good and stable server where people can play err day! :D

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Woho! That's some good news! I just want to do something for both communities as newcomers to NNK are unable to find servers, because there aren't any. So a dedicated server, will hopefully mean something to those that wish to play. There aren't many, but there are some. And then with ESF, it's just a matter of doing something fun. Support Final with a good and stable server where people can play err day! :D
Even tough you banned me once for 3days on NNK forums , i like your additude, we really need some servers on NNK and ESF :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom