[SPOILERS!] Revenge of the Sith

Best answers
Some fan boys need to realise that this movie wasn't made just for their private viewing pleasure.

Best answers
ok...i just got back from the star wars marathon....i saw episode 1 and 2
good movies in my opinion. when i saw 3 i was convinced that george lucas totally rox...i saw anakin cutting windu's hand off...i still thought anakin had something good in his heart(wit that not-the-jedi-way stuff he actually had a point)...i saw him killing junglings - i mean is saw him standing thurr, and the junglings were like: " they are to many! what should we do mr. skywalker!?" i was like: aaww! he not going to kill THEM! he's not like that :S ....then i saw his face and i was like: " he IS going to kill them!-
omg...but, but .....its for padme right!? that's good right! ok ok, so i hold on to the fact that he does it all for padme and its all going to be allright. the other moment he grab's her in a choke hold! it felt like **** seeing him choking her...i was lost..but i liked the way he got operated for his wounds..and the mask planted on his face...then i saw 4 5 and 6...OMFG the special effects were ****ty man...!okok it is from 2 and a half decade ago but still...i fell asleep.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah people didn't watch the original movies primarily for the super ultra 3d battle scenes, more like, for the good acting, and fun characters. The first three episodes don't have either of those things and that's why I walk away feeling like Lucas lost his touch.

And to clarify, 'Windu' is 'Mace Windu' who is Samuel L. Jackson. I have a feeling some of you are confusing him with Palpatine somehow or other.

If they'd chosen better actors than Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman, and possibly if Samuel L Jackson hadn't been so 'humbled' by his role and had been acting like Samuel L Jackson the movies would have been great. All I was looking for was character somewhere in there, and it never comes out until possibly the last five minutes, and only for Obiwan. Throw together all the special effects you want, it can't make me stop shaking my head every time I hear major characters stumbling like amateurs over their lines in every epic scene.

Best answers
One of the things great about the original movies was that nobody really knew who the heck these people were when they came out. They were pretty much just really good actors that they picked up. They didn't really have much going for them, and they sort of grew into those roles.

I knew they fugged up when the put Samuel L in, from the start. I mean, he didn't bring the movies crashing down, but the fact that Lucas felt he had to get people like him and Liam Neeson makes me believe it became more like a Hollywood movie rather than the fantastic adventure that Star Wars started as.

I've felt like that since the beginning of the prequels. If Lucas had just kept with the low-budget stuff, it would've been much better.

Has anybody noticed how the visual schemes changed throughout the movies, and how these themes reflect the mood of the movies? I was just sitting here and came to that thought...
TPM: Bright and shining, with warmer colors - everything is all happy and stuff, before the Empire and crap
AoTC: Kind of neutral; brownish - Anakin slowly begins his decline to the darkside, and the Seperatists emerge
RoTS: Very dark, with cruel reds - Anakin completes his evil transition
ANH: More of "another view" setting, where it's more neutral colors - Luke leaves the safety of Tattooine to fight the empire
ESB: In the "midst" of the darkness, but not of it - the Rebellion is peeking
RoTJ: Similar to ESB, however with some green shifts - the Empire falls and the richness of life enevelops the galaxy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
Yeah people didn't watch the original movies primarily for the super ultra 3d battle scenes, more like, for the good acting, and fun characters. The first three episodes don't have either of those things and that's why I walk away feeling like Lucas lost his touch.
I believe this is because George Lucas directed the three new ones, and DIDN'T direct the three original movies, though I might be mistaken.

Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen have both been nominated for acting awards on a couple of occasions, if I recall. Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan McGregor and Jimmy Smits go without saying.

Bottom line here: George Lucas is an awful director.

He doesn't allow the actors to have the whole script; he basically gives it to them a couple of pages at a time, strictly on a need to know basis. I believe this goes a huge way toward killing the actors' capabilities in the movies because they have no idea from scene to scene how they are supposed to be reacting, or what their characters are going to be doing five minutes later in the same movie. Liam Neeson in particular had repeatedly complained about Lucas's bad directing. Most others dance around the question in interviews but Liam Neeson was just like, "Yeah I wouldn't work with him again on principle alone" in a couple of articles I read in rags like Entertainment Weekly, etc.

I'll give a good example. Assume one day, Hayden Christensen comes into work and they hand him the scene for when he goes dark side after carving up Windu with Palpatine. First and foremost, it's totally ridiculous to give an actor a week with a scene and have them come in and do the film. That's like giving the members of the band the piece of a song and expecting the end result to be the same as if they'd known the whole thing inside and out, etc.

Now let's say Hayden comes in and they give him this scene. Suppose they haven't filmed the chronological "rest of the movie" yet. Wouldn't it explain the acting in that scene, if say, no one knew there was going to be any further development of that change in Anakin's character? I think that scene was acted fine if there were more following it, maybe a nice montage to show Anakin's traversing to the darkside in full (the game shows this much better, since the game has a level where he exterminates tons of low-rank jedi in the jedi temple. The text before the mission says that Anakin becomes more convinced that they are all traitors to the Republic because of how hard they fight him, and the things they say to him, etc.--something that was never done in the movie). In the movie, it was "Oh no, I killed Mace Windu..." [five minutes later] "...okay, ah what the hell, let's attack the temple and kill children." But like I said--if none of them knew that aspect of the story was just going to be left 'as is' following that scene...well again...I blame Lucas, bottom line.

Fact is, you put these skilled actors in a Lucas movie, people like Jimmy Smits, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen (both of whom do fine for themselves in non-Lucas roles), and Samuel L. mother ****ing Jackson...and all of a sudden they act badly? I don't buy it. In most of those bad scenes (of which I thought there were relatively few), the actors probably barely had a clue what their characters were feeling or where they were going. You can just tell just by watching it.

Hell, I can almost imagine George Lucas's lame instructions. "Okay, so, you're confused. Go." "Okay, so, you're on fire. Go."

If you watch the movie and know anything about production it's pretty plain to see. In scenes where the feelings and where they are going with things are obvious enough, the acting is plenty good. Hayden's writhing fiery demise is among the most bone-chilling performances I've seen in all of Star Wars, and as far as I am concerned it is right up there with the "That's impossible!" scene (again Lucas's BS strikes again...at the last second before filming that scene, Lucas told Mark Hamill to ignore what the Vader actor was saying, telling him it was going to be redubbed with different lines later without the actor's knowledge, and to react accordingly).

I'm sorry, I just can't find fault with the actors. Lucas is very obviously a terrible director. It takes a phenomenal amount of suckage talent to make Samuel L. Jackson suck.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Apparently Lucas thought some of the craptacular love scenes were more vital then Samuel L. whipping some ass.
just watched pulp fiction so i could remeniss about how Samual L. should have handed certain peoples asses to them, and been more involved in all 3 films >_>

even in the origional movies, the story wasnt ALL ABOUT LUKE!!! there was a lot of mixing arround, between him, leia, han, chewy, lando, even biggs and wedge had semi-important roles.

lucas made a huge mistake by pitting the entire film arround 1 character, so all the time, you know hes the most important, you know the whole omnibus is about anakin, and no one else.

the fact is, we already know that, but if he had taken the time to evolve certain characters better through the prequals, then he wouldnt be getting an ass chewing from fans. although, as stupid as it sounds, weve already payed him enough money for him not to care. >_>

/me sighs

im gonna go watch Beverly Hills Cop 3, so i can see him get put down by Axel Foley D:

Best answers
man that movie is worser than worse (beverly hills cop 3) but always fun to watch tho...the funniest thing when eddie takes a dead guard and talks with the guard's voice like:"he ran up those stairs!" \o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ITS UNCLE DAVE!!! O_O

anyway, i would suggest renting, and not buying the game, as on hard difficulty, i beat it in 3 hours, unlocked everything, did the SP bonus missions, and then got my neighbor round to do the 5 (yes 5) MP missions, which consist of nothing but being in 1 room, and hacking away till your done.

the MP vs mode is fun, but only as fun as untill 1 person gets bored >_>

all in all the game gets 4/10

Best answers
*flinches* Raised by wookies.... -_-;;

/me bish slaps you

He grew up on Correllia. He saved Chewbacca inbetween 3 and 4, making Chewie his slave as per wookie tradition. And yeah, by the time of the Clone Wars, he'd be a kid. And we don't need no friggin kids unless they're being mercilessly slaughtered by a particular badass...

And if Han Solo was slaughtered in the Clone Wars cuz you suggested it, wouldn't YOU feel stupid?

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
And if Han Solo was slaughtered in the Clone Wars cuz you suggested it, wouldn't YOU feel stupid?
I'd actually love to see him die!.. oh god.. what if lucas plan's some sort of surprise remake's of the original trilogy o_o

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fortnox said:
all together, id say the film is the best ever. better than pulp fiction, better than any LOTR or matrix, better than anything.
WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SAY!????!?

How can that ****ty movie be better than LOTR and PULP FICTION!???!? PULP FICTION!?!?

You are on something dude really. O_O

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Galst Vic said:
WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SAY!????!?

How can that ****ty movie be better than LOTR and PULP FICTION!???!? PULP FICTION!?!?

You are on something dude really. O_O
Maybe because...it's his opinion?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fortnox said:
ill have you know that ep3 on its opening day had almost 100 million more veiws than LOTR 3, a national record. :\
And I'll have YOU know that LOTR 3 is an hour longer than SW Ep.3. Meaning, that it can be screened more times in one day than LOTR could. In 10 hours, Star Wars could be screened almost 4 times, where LOTR could only be screened three. Of course it got more viewers on opening day, they played it more times.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That still doesn't make it a better movie....hyped, but not better...

edit; crap, this was at the opening day thingie ...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad AxMan said:
so maybe we will get some nice surprises?
Another Han/Greedo scene perhaps? Maybe Grevious will lose his right hand first instead of his left, throwing the planet into fanbased uproar.

I don't think I can say much that hasn't been said, except I prefferred Ep2 to Ep3. The acting was all-round abysmal with the exception of Yoda who's CG and doesn't count. Anakin got the angsty-teen-in-a-hood look down, but that's it. His character depth was null. Point in case, when he was going to kill the 'younglings', I was expecting him to question his own actions and have a crisis of conscience, but no, he whipped out his 'saber and started slashing. It would've been nice to see a range of emotions from him instead of angsty state, angsty smile, and angsty shouting.

Padme wasn't much better in this field, her dialogue was boring and clichéd which did her no favours. To me this will always come before special effects. Obi-Wan was also better in Ep2.

I don't know how factually accurate this is, but the lava in the Obiwan/Anakin battle seemed to be fantastically inconsistent.

Fact on lava: The darker orange it is, the cooler it is. The brighter orange, the hotter it is. It ranges from 700C to 1200C degrees, with a general average of 900 degrees celsius/1650 farenheit.

-Fighting on the crumbling balcony, lava is spouting and gouting upwards around them. Despite this coupled with the intense combat, neither fighter break a sweat.
-Skimming the surface of the lava on those metal hover platforms, their cloth garments don't combust, despite the air temperature.
-A legless Anakin's stumps combust a good meter away from the lava, minutes later, Sidious strolls up to the same point, cloak dragging along the floor, and there's not even a spark.

The last thing i'll pick at was the shamelessly tacked-on ending. Each of those scenes lasted about 30 seconds with no dialogue (after Vader's NOOOO!)

Councell guy with his wife and baby Leia
*fadeout*
Vader and Sidious look at the Death Star
*fadeout*
Padme gets carried in her funeral procession
*fadeout
Obiwan delivers Luke
*fadeout*
Credits

It's like Lucas had a checklist of plot points he had to cover to keep the cohesion between Ep3 and Ep4, covered one in the most basic way possible, then moved on to the next.

Aside from that, good film :yes::yes::yes::no::no:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
The last thing i'll pick at was the shamelessly tacked-on ending. Each of those scenes lasted about 30 seconds with no dialogue (after Vader's NOOOO!)

Councell guy with his wife and baby Leia
*fadeout*
Vader and Sidious look at the Death Star
*fadeout*
Padme gets carried in her funeral procession
*fadeout
Obiwan delivers Luke
*fadeout*
Credits

It's like Lucas had a checklist of plot points he had to cover to keep the cohesion between Ep3 and Ep4, covered one in the most basic way possible, then moved on to the next.
I felt the exact same way for the ending. It was like they spent too much time on the movie earlier, so they just had to throw together the rest like a slidecard presentation.

Also, when they were looking at the death star, did anyone else hear in their head "I call it a death boobie" from that weird star wars fan thing.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
=/ the only thing i thought sucked in the movie were the tiny plot holes. People are *****ing about the acting, well, imo Obi Wan had become so much more like Obi Wan from the classic trilogy, he was much calmer, wiser, his posture and voice all reminded me of Sir Alec, I dont know what else people wanted from Obi Wan. Also you can tell how good an actor is by looking at their movies and seeing how different they seem, you can blatently see that Mace Windu was nothing like The Samuel in Pulp fiction, and thats actually good acting, same with Obi Wan, he didnt sound like a scottish junkie. The only bad acting I saw in the film was the love scene's which never have been that great in Star Wars. Anakins demise was done beautifully i thought.... though there was a little room for improvement in the terms of "oh god what have i done?" and then 2 seconds later "yes master"... i think there, there could have been some better persuasion just an extra minute for Anakin to have some kind of character development.

The thing i didnt get with Grevious was the way Obi Wan was able to put up a fight against 4 light sabers, but when he throws a punch he goes flying, if Grevious was that strong, surely Obi Wan would have been crushed by all those lightsabers? i dunno...

The original just cant be beaten, and thats why so many are disapointed, The reason the first 3 are so "weak" compared to the others, is because there is no Protagonist as good as Luke, no rouge as bad ass as Han Solo, no Big bad evil empire, no good guy rebels, and nobody as powerful and as terrifying as Darth Vader, the first three episodes lack these extreme's, they lack the support you want to give the main characters because of the lack of contrast between the good and the bad. If you like football, you always enjoy the matches where your favourate team is going against the biggest rivials, people dont get as interested when its 2 average teams you dont care for either way. Its the same with stories.

Still think it was a great film.

Best answers
I don't see how you can say Ep 2 was better... I know it's your opinion and all, but really, Ep 3 was atleast on par with Ep 2.

Hayden's acting improved, but yeah, Padme blew it, totally. And Obi-Wan? He reminded me more of Obi-Wan in AoTC.

I'll agree on the horrible endings, but the things about the lava and all that? It's called the movies. If you're going to nitpick at EVERY LITTLE THING, then you should stick to real life, where it's dull, and gross, and realistic, and there's absolutely nothing exciting happening.

David has a point, in regards to the "football game," and you can trust me on this one cuz I play it and watch it whenever possible. Ravens Vs Bengals? THAT was exciting, even though I never payed attention to those particular teams. Giants Vs Browns? YAAAAWWWWN.

It's the same in all media: nobody cares about somebody stubbing their toe after getting up from reading the newspaper... they care about somebody stubbing their toe, then falling over a coffee table, breaking the sofa, and then creating a domino effect which ends in a comedic fire-extinguisher routine. It's like those TBS commercials say... "Real-life? Not funny. TBS? Funny"

Realism is overrated, and people lie about it. Half-Life 2's source engine is awesome. Everybody loves being able to friggin' throw a CHAIR at a headcrab zombie... a CHAIR, now!! And when a Combine soldier finds a grenade at the bottom of his feet, and they explode near you and you loose your hearing? That's fantastic, but I could go on for hours as to how miffed I got when the Combine fell to the floor like a doll... That ragdolls physics thing? Not realistic... Bones and muscles can only go so far. Unless his bones had already been broken, he would not be twisting backwards, and then wrap his limps around the railing when he fell... But see, why mention that? It's unrealistic, but who cares?

It's when you nitpick that anything becomes unfun... That's the rule of entertainment in general. DON'T NIT PICK! I had issues with the movies, too. But it was more on the DYNAMICS, not the facts.... You want facts and realism? LIGHTSABERS CAN'T EVEN EXISTS!! Well they can, but they wont hurt anybody... Hyperdrive? Nope...

Best answers
It was the best of the new trilogy. Doesnt beat the old ones by far

and lucas has never lost his touch,,,,it wasnt him that made the original movies great, it was the casual acting of harrison ford and carrie fisher and crew that made the original trilogies the best. Hadyen Christensen and Natalie Portman treated the script like the bible instead of treating it like a fun, over the top sci fi action flick like harrison ford did and the movies suffered for it. Ewan Mcgregor for the most part did a great job tho.

I agree that Windu's death was dissapointing.
Greivious honestly wasnt that cool of a character (*SPOILER*) but to die by a blaster shot??? Thats a crappy way for any "major" villain to die....they should have thought of something cooler then that.

Did anyone else get all hyped up during the first 20 or so minutes of the movie? I really fealt like the movie was going to totally capture the feelings of the old movies during the space battle,,,,went downhill from there, but it was still cool.

My main gripe with the fight scenes in this movie is that everything moves too damn fast. Luke vs Vader in ROTJ or Quigon/Obi vs Maul in Ep 1 are still the best duels of the series, particularrily because you can actually see whats goin on most of the time. I found episode 3's battles to be too quick and way too flashy to really be that engrossing.

Best answers
The thing about lightsaber combat? It wasn't even that BIG in the original trilogy. It was the games that let you play WITH a lightsaber that made it big. It's another one of those things which were obscure originally, then pumped by fans and products.

I think Greivous was cool, there just wasn't enough character development on him... The organic heart? The coughing? LIGHTSABERS FROM DEAD JEDI?!?!?! And actually his death wasn't bad (He 'sploded, dammit!), it was just a bit cheesy and ironic... the thing in ANH when Obi-Wan mentioned how "crude and random" they are? And he just happens to use one and he HAS to say "how crude" or whatever... Proof that Lucas was just too busy trying to link everything to the following movies to make it worthwhile.

The Prequal thing isn't new; it's just that George's is the most infamous (releasing a movie that says "Episode 4?"), because he did it so badly... he started in the middle, worked to the end, then started up... 30 years later? At the VERY beginning, then ENDED in the middle.

If he had made the trilogies into their own unique stories, instead of making them connect so damned well, we wouldn't be here :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom