[SPOILERS!] Revenge of the Sith

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone who uses Maddox's posts as an argument needs to form their own oppinion. Though that said, every point he made in that post has been made in this thread first.

I'm not sure if this is a plot hole or not, but here's something else I was thinking. Jedi's are not supposed to know love, and Anakin and Padme's marriage/love was supposed to be secret, Romeo and Juliet style. Instead of sneaking around to see each other, Anakin spends all his free time at her house and in her bed, a place with an huge open balcony and massive glass windows. How is it that nobody notices?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Drenched...

(from the promo trailer)

Could be the low quality, but I think regardless 'drenched' is an overstatement. I'm not going to start an argument, but the only reason I was looking elsewhere during the final lightsaber battle was because 90% of the movie was lightsaber battles. In the original trilogy the lightsaber duels were few and far between, making them all the more special, even though by todays (Ep2+3) standards they look tame.
Well. At least his hair's wet. Semi. :0\

Alright, alright, fine, you win. Cut me a break, though--the TV's on the bar across the room from the computer. Regardless, it's still irrelevant. Trying to tell me it was a terrible movie because they weren't sweaty enough, that's just not going to fly.

I'm not going to say anything about the lightsaber fighting, though. That is probably the one thing Lucas's people actually delivered on, to us Star Wars fans.

Again I'll use the shining example: no one in the theater opening night was going, "Man, I really hope this one has less lightsaber fighting." The DVD is not going to advertise on it's cover, "Less fighting! More sweat!" I mean if that's going to be the primary complaint (since the rest of the stuff I said was ignored, it seems) you might as well complete the circle with other complaints like "there weren't enough love scenes" or "I'm upset Jar Jar didn't have a bigger role" or even "I feel that George Lucas's kids should have had a bigger hand in helping flesh out the script."

It just sounds to me like you're looking at this movie from a viewpoint that, suffice to say, is not where a lot of the people I know who saw it were coming from. I don't want to come right out and say you're wrong, man, cause this is all opinion of course; but I'm almost getting this clear picture of some one walking into a movie that starts "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." and hoping for less fighting, academy award-worthy acting, a story that will go down in history for its sheer political and subtle brilliance, and most of all, realism. I just think those are unrealistic expectations, man. If you go into a Star Wars movie with those kinds of expectations, it's going to feel like garbage no matter how you slice it, really.

I'm not sure if this is a plot hole or not, but here's something else I was thinking. Jedi's are not supposed to know love, and Anakin and Padme's marriage/love was supposed to be secret, Romeo and Juliet style. Instead of sneaking around to see each other, Anakin spends all his free time at her house and in her bed, a place with an huge open balcony and massive glass windows. How is it that nobody notices?
The same way nobody noticed Jedi Master Windu flying into the city streets, I guess. Heheheh.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Yea, Maddox's reviews are humorous, but whoever bases the outcome of a movie off of his opinion needs to get his wang out of their asses :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not saying it was a bad movie, but there were things that could've been added, and things that could've been removed. Gladiator was a film about a guy who's life was fighting, he was a general for an army, an arena fighter and he led a rebellion. However in between these fights (there were about five) you got character development for Maximus, Commodus and even lesser characters like Proximo. The story took many different turns and was rich and involving.

Now imagine if Lucas had removed some of the fighting or the crappy, plastic love scenes, and spent more time developing Anakin's transition from Jedi to Sith (two polar opposites) or coming to terms with Padme's death, maybe some more remorse on Obi-wan's part after slicing off the legs of his 'brother', watching his face melt to his screams of pain. You'd still have an ample amount of special effects and lightsaber antics on the foundation of a good film.

I admit the sweat thing was stupid though :p

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Note how I said
I decided a while ago that I'd probably wait for the DVD for this one.
;).

I just posted the Maddox review, knowing people would cry because someone's opinion is different than their own.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Now imagine if Lucas had removed some of the fighting or the crappy, plastic love scenes, and spent more time developing Anakin's transition from Jedi to Sith (two polar opposites) or coming to terms with Padme's death, maybe some more remorse on Obi-wan's part after slicing off the legs of his 'brother', watching his face melt to his screams of pain. You'd still have an ample amount of special effects and lightsaber antics on the foundation of a good film.
Now THOSE are some good complaints. I'm sure the special edition will fill in more on DVD, of course.

Oh, good ol' George Luca$...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hope so :yes:

I was talking with some friends earlier and we all agreed how perfect Jar Jar's death could've been. He doesn't play a particularly important role, nor does he appear in the original trilogy, and lets face it, people would've laughed and applauded if it had happened.

It wouldn't have even needed to be a glamourous death! He could've been hit from a mile away by a stray blast, or even been crushed by Windu's falling corpse. He's not a great character, he doesn't need a great death.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
Note how I said ;).

I just posted the Maddox review, knowing people would cry because someone's opinion is different than their own.
Indeed, I agred with a few parts on Maddox's part, my overview of the movie was it was missing..something. It was 90% action and 10% depth, which is kind of good..kinda not.

Best answers
Well now THERE'S some closure for everybody.... I suddenly feel at peace...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fortnox said:
he is reaped by what he sough. i think thats how the saying goes. anyway, i hear he is destroyed on aldaran when the death star blows it up, when leia lies that the rebel base is there. and ofcorse he is reaped by what he sought because he wanted the clone army to give power to the republic to defeat the sepratists, and he did, then they became the empire and blew him the **** up. ^^

its good to know that at the end of the day, he is as dead as a do-do.

thats some pretty mindless speculation. i suspect he probably just died by doing something stupid back home on naboo.... >_>

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some people are impossible to please in my opinion. If the movie had more in-depth script, you would have complained that it had too much dialogue. If it had less lightsaber fighting, you would have complained that it didn't have enough. If it went too in-depth with Anakin's transformation into Darth Vader, you would have complained it didn't focus on the fall of the Republical at all.

I thought the acting was appropiate, and I thought Lucas did a decent job, along with his writing and editing team, in putting enough information into the film. The movie to me, was very intense, and basically kept a decent flow to it. It might have been a bit jumpy in scence changes and plot progression, but a lot of information had to be expressed. I think Lucas spent too much time on the Clone Wars, and should have at least spent a little more time on Anakin's self-destruction. The two scenes that made this film a winner was the Mace Windu vs Palpatine part where Anakin decided the Republics fate, and Anakin vs Obi Wan, where I think they rivaled Darth Vader vs Luke in Empire Strikes Back in blissful intensity.

I've also decided to rank all 6 films.

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Return of the Jedi
4. A New Hope
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

If you are to calculate the amount of extreme plot changes, and the amount of action, this list is probably the most accurate.
-

Lastly, all you people who got an action film and expect Schindler's List quality scripts, you are sadly mistaken and do not understand movies in general. The point of movies like Star Wars, aren't to bury you in emotion and extended dialogue, there is too much action to be had, that carried on conversations would nullify and/or ruin completely. Lucas isn't the only person who decided how these movies would be displayed cinematically. And it is probably a Hollywood sin, for a director to not ask for a 2nd, 3rd, and maybe even 4th opinion from either an experienced writing or editing team. It's almost as if you see something as being popular, and figure you'll look uniquely smart for not "following the crowd."

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Synth said:
Lastly, all you people who got an action film and expect Schindler's List quality scripts, you are sadly mistaken and do not understand movies in general. The point of movies like Star Wars, aren't to bury you in emotion and extended dialogue, there is too much action to be had, that carried on conversations would nullify and/or ruin completely."
And that's why the original trilogy was so good. Am I right?

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think a lot of you need to see the original three again now that you've seen Episode 3 and make your judgements one more time. I hear a lot of people making broad sweeping statements about Star Wars without taking into account the original three movies. Yes, they are very different trillogies. Nobody needs to explain why, just watch and compare them in your head. Doesn't mean the new ones are bad, they're just different, and I don't think they should all be thrown in the same boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom