Melee Overview Discussion

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Darktooth is the man. He does such awesome work for the mod.
That must be some gun Masta's got against his head.

The overview sounds good but I'm sure Advanced Melee sounded good at the time as well.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That must be some gun Masta's got against his head.

The overview sounds good but I'm sure Advanced Melee sounded good at the time as well.
It is .

Best answers
uhm, just a couple of things. I remember when you created your own server in teh beta, you couldnt cretate bots. also, how many transformations will there be? up to ss4? and there should be a way that makes it easier for new players or weak players to compare to pro players. it can get frustrating for a newb to play against someone who wont let you move, right? so maybe you can make a melee system that gives a handicap to players with lower power levels or sometihng.

Best answers
Im guessing the new updated information is the "Three types of melee" Because i cant find any other information or pics >< Please re-inform me
Also I just hope it aint as boring as it was with the final open beta release, swoop, hit and done

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
uhm, just a couple of things. I remember when you created your own server in teh beta, you couldnt cretate bots. also, how many transformations will there be? up to ss4? and there should be a way that makes it easier for new players or weak players to compare to pro players. it can get frustrating for a newb to play against someone who wont let you move, right? so maybe you can make a melee system that gives a handicap to players with lower power levels or sometihng.
No SSJ4 not now not ever.

As for the handicap. Thats not really gonna do any good. We have Cvars taht make your PL bigger after you die. But that only goes as far as the servers average PL. In the end there is little you can do to stop the pros without breaking the game.

Best answers
So, what about head-ons? Does it result in a tie , like in the open beta or will the one with the higher amount of ki/stamina win? Hm, is there still a chargable turbo? If so, does it have ads in a head-on? Lot of stuff to think, eh ;)

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't worry. Head ons will be fine. We're not going to be going back to HOWing. (I think Haloran would probabl **** himself if he were still here :p ). We're being very careful to balance everything so it's playable for nubs and fun for pros. It'll be good, and we'll update this periodically to get feedback before we finalize things.

Best answers
you should try to work on the beams too.for example in 1.2 if you hit someone with a kameha from close range you get hurt by it too.and it would be nice to be able to fire and block beams while swooping.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you should try to work on the beams too.for example in 1.2 if you hit someone with a kameha from close range you get hurt by it too.and it would be nice to be able to fire and block beams while swooping.
As far as I'm aware, it is still possible to harm yourself with a beam. With swooping, swooping has its benefits and risks. Stopping to block isn't that hard anyway.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you point blank yourself, of course you should take self damage. But then again, in the OB, I believe you can vaporize an opponent if they're weak enough. Hopefully that makes the final cut. I should talk to raven about that.

Best answers
its time for new melee info !
what do you think?
:d

sucess

Best answers
I think that the 1.2 advanced combat premises are pretty good to be completely discarded. We could make the new basic like the old advanced, with some alterations.

I guess that the main problem with the old advanced system it's that it was bad paced, and actually was very easy to master. A good thing in order to give the impression of an " accelerated " combat would be making an animation of a fast paced combat while the combo commands aren't done by the player (just some animation of the characters involved, trading punchs and kicks very fast, something like the pre-combo animation of 1.2). Once entering the melee mode, the player would do a small initial damage (only a symbolic amount), and then the combo time gauge would start automatically, inciting the player to input his combo moves before the gauge expires (it should be a very short time). Finally, once the combo move was inputed, it would turn into a slow motion attack, and the defender would have to guess, by looking at the animation, which arrow (or mouse button combinations) he should press. The " slow motion move " should be slow enough to give the player time to react, and fast enough to give some challenge to his reflexes (yeah, fast enough to newbies have trouble with the pace). Instead of relying totally on a " random direction " animation, you could make some moves pull faster than others in order to confuse the defender reflexes (randomly, or by using some kind of special command for each, according to the player will, like holding Shift Left for a faster punch, spending ki, stamina, both, or none, in order to do it).

One more. In DBZ (and many other anime series) we see the characters fighting while doing some small " teleports " around the field. Would it be possible to implement something like this on ESF? You know, in the middle of advanced combat one could decide to teleport out of the range of the enemy, and the enemy could try to follow him up, or if the defender decided not to follow, he would be vulnerable to a " teleport back " and a surprise melee attack (or maybe a suprise beam, like Goku did on Cell), all without leaving the " melee mode ". If this is easy to pull, we could actually make the ones involved in melee combat vulnerable to beams without turning then into potentially easy targets. Eventually, these " melee teleports " would become mandatory in most fights, and additionally they would give the chance for the defender to break the attacker combo and perhaps revert the situation completely.

And the last suggestion. I guess it has been mentioned before, but, let me try anyway. Wouldn't be a good thing giving an advantage for melee combat on the ground (I mean, without flying)? It would have some interesting effects on the behaviour of players. If staying on ground turned out to be a really good advantage in some cases, melee combat could be pulled of more easily by noobs (since people would tend to be a little less scattered through all the map flying space), and at the same time people would be careful to not do it all the time, since it would be easier to hit then with ki attacks (also, it would give some more usefulness to beams, without giving then more explosion radius). Of course, this requires a good way to differentiate flying players from not flying ones (I mean, in the engine point of view), as is very easy to enter flying mode by mistake.

Hope I helped with something :yes:

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Advanced melee was scrapped cause of 3 main reasons.

1.) Slow and timeconsuming

2.) Stationary target for people waiting with a beam.

3.) It was just plain old useless. I mean you can easily take down someone with basic melee in half the time youd do it with advanced melee and you dont become a target or have him retaliate.

So we rather decided to go back to the 1.1 days that brought in a lot of people by using a simple system thats fast effective and can be quite fun if speeds are right ^^

Yes you geard me "Speed". 1.2 is a crawl compared to 1.1 ^^

Best answers
Okai, I playing esf for a long time, from 1.1 to 1.2 and waiting for a 1.3. I never used advanced melee in battles, and I dont like it. But you've got to do something to fill up the space in battles. I mean the basic melee will be boring, and people who played esf for a long time would miss that. I suggest that melee fighting will be concentrated to 1on1. Fast, ant no one wount disturb the fight between 2 players. I don't know how to do that, but It will be very interesting. Of course, when players want to fight 2vs1 or even 3vs1 will have a chance to do that, but I thing the battles must be concentrated to 1on1, and advanced melee was that thing, in 1.3 I want to see something that

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hey guys what do you think of my suggestion for new melee.

So say you are swooping at an enemy and you decide you simple melee him. Now while your swooping at him the 2nd time it auto swoops unless you press teleport which makes you go behind your opponent then you simple melee him again. Now you have 2 choices.

1. You can either quick beam attack ( Which is a beam attack that does not need to charge but its not max just the minumum charge) to push him away but consumes alot of Ki so you might not have enough Ki left to do anything else. This ends the chain.

2. Or you use left click or right click or whatever to perform a Meteor struggle on him which basically is you and your opponent exchanging many punches by rapidly clicking the left click. It's sort of like a power struggle. And then you know they start doing something flashy like moving all over the place and making lightning fast punches and kicks you know like in the anime this is so that the fighters don't look boring just standing still punching each other.

Then whoever loses the exchange they get knocked back allowing you too swoop to him or use a quick blast to activate another chain. This will keep going untill the attacker runs out of Ki and both players will get knocked back.

This is like my first idea of any new type of melee.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey guys what do you think of my suggestion for new melee.

So say you are swooping at an enemy and you decide you simple melee him. Now while your swooping at him the 2nd time it auto swoops unless you press teleport which makes you go behind your opponent then you simple melee him again. Now you have 2 choices.

1. You can either quick beam attack ( Which is a beam attack that does not need to charge but its not max just the minumum charge) to push him away but consumes alot of Ki so you might not have enough Ki left to do anything else. This ends the chain.

2. Or you use left click or right click or whatever to perform a Meteor struggle on him which basically is you and your opponent exchanging many punches by rapidly clicking the left click. It's sort of like a power struggle. And then you know they start doing something flashy like moving all over the place and making lightning fast punches and kicks you know like in the anime this is so that the fighters don't look boring just standing still punching each other.

Then whoever loses the exchange they get knocked back allowing you too swoop to him or use a quick blast to activate another chain. This will keep going untill the attacker runs out of Ki and both players will get knocked back.

This is like my first idea of any new type of melee.
1.) You dont have enough time to charge minimum before he recovers. It would have to be instant.

2.) I want to keep using my mouse for qhite a while longer. Mousebutton mashing = mouse getting killed within weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom