Melee Overview Discussion

Best answers
Well, add stuff to simple melee is a good point. Some of things that i always thought to be cool to have in the simple melee is the atacker player be able to teleport behind the flying oponnent to make a surprise atack, and the options to chose the direction of the hit (if the enemy will fly up, down, straight, etc)

sucess

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didnt understand the SAM concept very well. You have 3 stages of bonus bars is that it? each different bonus gives you some kind of different kaiokens for different abilities? This bonus bars get empty after using them? I hope I'm the only one feeling confusing about the concept, I just can't imagine it very well working.
"Powerups will cater to each player group (melee vs beam)" - I dont understand.

What about those images that were shown (goku giving punch to goku), where does that fit?

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Snowman: Advanced melee revolves around the SAM system. Basically, attacking a player with simple melee, beams, discs, what have you will earn you points. There are three tiers to the SAM system. Let's say for argument sake that tier 1 is 20 points. Once you get enough points for tier 1, pressing the SAM button and then attacking a player with melee will spend your bonus points to perform the tier 1 melee attack. Likewise, attacking a player with a beam on tier 1 will execute whatever benefits that tier 1 gives to beams.

This allows ESF to have nice over the top cinematic effects / moves while keeping much of the traditional gameplay. If it helps you visualize it, the SAM system is a sort of finisher attack, although the attack won't necessarily kill the opponent.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What you saw last week was a very early version of the grapple. What is the grapple, you might ask? You'll find out soon enough ^^

Last edited:
The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Snowman: Advanced melee revolves around the SAM system. Basically, attacking a player with simple melee, beams, discs, what have you will earn you points. There are three tiers to the SAM system. Let's say for argument sake that tier 1 is 20 points. Once you get enough points for tier 1, pressing the SAM button and then attacking a player will melee will execute the tier 1 melee attack. Likewise, attacking a player with a beam on tier 1 will execute whatever benefits that tier 1 gives to beams.

This allows ESF to have nice over the top cinematic effects / moves while keeping much of the traditional gameplay. If it helps you visualize it, the SAM system is a sort of finisher attack, although the attack won't necessarily kill the opponent.
OOHH I got it, its like when you get RED in budokai and give a hard puch to the opponent, they start some melees sequences, exept this will also benefict beam attacks. Hey that seems to be a nice concept. Are these melee attacks automatic? I mean, you push SAM button, attack with melee and he executes automatic attacks? Or is there more interaction? Beams only get stronger with tiers right? I mean what else can be changed in beams?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Beam benefits can be from power increase to KI cost decrease to instashot beam attacks.

Basically you willk have to tactically spend the bonus points with what you think you need or save them for somewhere else.

But all special types drain from the same pool so youll have to be carefull on what you spend them on. Since special attacks dont bring you new points.

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
kool its simple and effective concept, i get it. Basically take a fighting game on any console nowadays, the SAM is like a super bar like in streetfighter i take it right. Like u fight n do so n so to build up dat bar, and in streetfighter if u had ryu or somethin and u do hadoukens, wit that SAM bar at level one or somethin u wud be able to do a shinkuu hadouken (the big beam blast thingy supacoolness one).

So in ESF if u had goku or somethin and u got an SAM meter and u did a beam, maybe it wud be a bigger kamehameha, or even give u access to dragon fist or somethin. If u did a SAM melee attack maybe Goku wud punch u in the stomach supa hard, makin the screen shake and all included big affects, maybe even punchin right thru the gut of the openin, like gohan did to bojack and wat not. very cool i like dat.

If i do understand dis concept wud b kool if the FX Script stuff will allow players to create their own SAM attacks too, this wud realllllllyyyy put custom modelers and animaters in heaven lol. Would make the longetivity of dis mod really go on 4eva, and even when 4eva is done lol.

One more thing, just make sure this melee involves alot of fast paced, fists and kicks fliying and blocking, some sort maybe a lil automated in some sorts cuz the user cant seriously move as fast as a real DBZ character but yea. DBZ is a fast paced fighting anime, it shudnt be any slowa. 1.2 was pretty slow in advanced melee, too many pauses, to input arrows and stuff (if u guys remmba back den i worked on a FFM model pack, making the characters fight fast paced during the arrow inputs wit sound and all, was sexy lol).

PLEASE ONE THING I ASK, JUST BRING BACK THE DUST EFECTS. THAT INCLUDES SWOOP DUST, AND ADD NEW DUST EXPLOSIONS FOR WHEN MELEEING SOMEONE INTO THE GROUND, somethin like lbz's dust explosions if uve seen them. also for wen slamming them into the water the big splashes, it really puts emphasis on the DBZ characters having tru strength and power.

Best answers
Nice concept! As long as there is no button smashing and no pace-slow-downs Im sure I will enjoy it ;), so lets say if the grapple only takes about 2-3 seconds its fine , but if it takes as long as in 1.2 it would slow down the game too much.

Best answers
Ohh! another point: In 1.2 you can grab the enemy in advanced melee and start spin, then you can throw him away to a chosen direction. it MUST be back in 1.3 IMO.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That move is the worst part of 1.2s melee. To overpowered.

But yea its in with a little twist ^^

Atleast for now

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
ay Damaera i think you should make a Main Page update and include a link 2 this thread, should increase the amount of activity in this thread^_^

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
agreed, could use a little more attention :p

Best answers
Make rmb and lmb dmz, and dbs styles when not in fast movement; rmb = punch, lmb = kick, e.g if player is on ground, the player has full controll of melee giving more freedom etc. once player is in aerial combat or going at those super fast speeds it switches back to simple melee or what ever. then add from there

Success

Best answers
Make rmb and lmb dmz, and dbs styles when not in fast movement; rmb = punch, lmb = kick, e.g if player is on ground, the player has full controll of melee giving more freedom etc. once player is in aerial combat or going at those super fast speeds it switches back to simple melee or what ever. then add from there
didnt like the ideia... i never liked the melee of DBS and DMZ.. but it could be because these melees wasnt well done..

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DBS and DMZ had a horrible melee system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom