Melee on main page.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do like the addition of being able to swoop without a targeting system. I always wanted to be able to do that.

I am looking forward to all the other crazy things Joe and the boys are going to conjure up. :smile:

Best answers
Sounds good, I just cant wait dammit :p

While ESF online in South Africa may be a bit dood atm, 1.2 will probably brings lots of the regulars back to the fold...and maybe some fresh meat as well :D

...I just cant wait to actually feel the difference in the melee :devgrin:

Best answers
Pcjoe said:
Who ever said that we wont have other methods for comboing? I probably shouldnt be saying this, but it's not on the melee outline, so meh :). DT and myself wanted to implement some type of dragon ball z legends comboing system. If you slam the oppenent you can 'follow him', and slam him in whatever direction. Not too sure how it's all going to work out, but it sounds fun.

Oh, another thing about the melee system, we made sure to almost cvar everything. Just in the first part of melee, we have a cvar for
1) the stun time per punch
2) the delays between punches
probably some other stuff i cant remember atm... much more cvars for the other stages of melee, i'm sure we have atleast 15-20 so far, and we're still adding more.
well, computer class is over, i'll respond to more messages when i get home...
ah nice, that way we can set our own amounts and not constantly complain that it could do with a bit of tweaking to make it right heh.
I doubt anyone will wanna use the old melee :p
Yeah alot of players will be back playing methinks

Best answers
I don't think I have my head up my ass. I read it three times, in disbelief. It says for up to a maximum of 3 seconds. How quick are these auto-punches supposed to be? It just sounds dumb to me, I'm sorry. That's my opinion. Call me whatever you want for it. With auto-punching, wouldn't it always be some sort of struggle, ending up in both people either locking up or stunning each other? That's how it sounds to me when I see the term 'auto-punch.' Perhaps you should have a swoop hit start this auto-punch thing for a stun somehow. You're telling me to wait until all the information is out, basically, when it seems the ESF team doesn't even have all the information together yet. I just gave my opinion on what I've been given. If you don't like it, then don't, but don't go insulting me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
auto punching.... u know now those AFK's are a potential threat. wander into their crosshair and get pummeld!!! at least with 1.0 and 1.1 u have to press a freggin button.

now call me crazy but when an AFK has the potential to do harm to a player id say thats pretty retarted wouldnt you? seriously... why auto... why not have to get in range and hit a button that begins the punchig sequence.

yea pcjoe i guess im retarted for commenting on the slight bit of material that was released for the purpose of.... not commenting on right?

Best answers
I guess so, Pain. I'm not trying to insult anyone or anything, but from what I see, 1.2 will not be very skilled at all. If it all starts with something that's more or less automatic, then how skilled could it be? I also don't like it when people use, "Well they didn't say everything" as an excuse. I'd rather not know anything at all than to know one quarter of it which makes it -all- sound retarded, in my opinion. If there's a possibility of me being stunned for 3 seconds off of an automatic attack, I won't play. It's that simple. How fun would Budokai be if whenever someone got so close, magically one person would be able to punch them without a button press to stun them for a max of 3 seconds with 6 punches, and a max of 12 punches. And that was the only way to begin fighting. Uh.. Not very to me. It's the same principle here. I shouldn't have to be burdened as a player to counter-act an automatic attack that I nor my attacker had any control over. What you're doing is using the worst of two worlds. You need to be a sensible player to counter or whatever, even though no light's been shed on what you do if you're getting auto-slapped, but you can be noob enough to just meander into someone for some free hits. Sounds like a plan, guys! :yes:

Best answers
Wow, all I hear is complaining.

First of all, even if there is autopunching, whats the difference between just putting +attack2 in console? NOTHING! It does the same effect, and all AFKers could do it.

As for being stunned with melee, maybe you haven't been playing ESF. When you get hit by melee, you go flying, for a good amount of time.

And if you really don't like it, just use the old melee system.

Best answers
This melee better be much better than auto punching like the ability to knock heads or slam somone into a mountain or the ground or even ki pushing. I really hope it doesnt suck...ill guess i will wait for the WHOLE outline

Best answers
Apparently people just don't get where I'm coming from. Oh well. I'm not going to bother posting so people without contemplative properties can take in my comments as 'complaining'. I just want to help make the game better, but let's just wait and see how fun it is to have choices taken away from you with who you want to hit, and Lord knows whatever other bull**** that's still behind the curtain.

Best answers
Skill is reletive. Pong takes virtually NO skill to learn, but that doesn't mean that you can't have a good pong battle (if you like pong that is... I hate it.) Something doesn't have to be hard to learn to require skill. As a matter of fact, it may require more true skill to be good at the game when playing feild is more level.

As a matter of Fact, I think simplifying the game is the best way to go. As it is right now, I think the game works well for a very specific audience. Why would you complain about auto punching if EVERYONE has it. The combat will change relative to it. I also think we all need to PLAY it to see how it really works out. I also kind of read it in disbelief, but I truely doubt its as midless as we think it is.

PCjoe, I think it's AWESOME that you guys are taking hints from Legends! Of all the DBZ games, that keeps the combat closest to the real sty of DBZ. As ESF is right now (not that it's bad) it's a big ramming game. I'm excited about it, keep hashin through it man!

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well when i saw the outline, i was kind of disapointed, untill i saw it was only a quearter of how melee in 1.2 will be, so i say, sit back and relax, and we'll see how it turns out, i'm pretty sure i't will be pwnage!

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll reserve my judgement of the new system until I see it in action.

I don't really like the idea of a charged swoop, but they said it would probobly change.. and I don't like the idea of auto-punches, but who knows at this point?As I don't really have any ideas how it could be better, besides like 'mouse3' being a throw, depending on range..

I'll leave it up to you guys.

Best answers
Bummer, why didn't you leave the melee of 1.2 as a suprise :]
Like, when the installer released you would add a readme too it about the new melee systeem.
You would also reduce the comments :p

Best answers
Joe, Harsens. I see where you are going with this.

1. I know the charge swoop you guys will change.

2. The auto punching will soon probably become like ( when in dbz two fighters collide and they attack each other and block and dodge each others attacks in a lil melee struggle fight ) This will probably become a Melee + Block combination of meleeing in that struggle.

A good idea like you said eariler to make them invulnerable. Also to make it even more interesting this would be good if it can be coded is to add in so like when your in the melee struggle your moving all over the map while your in the melee struggle fighting. The system in the melee struggle i predict will work as a Rock, Paper, Scissors type of system. Like for example.

Block, Punch, Dodge (<--- this could be a good idea but it could also be a bad idea to add a dodge ) I am not pretty sure but that is my prediction.

Darksun said:
Skill is reletive. Pong takes virtually NO skill to learn, but that doesn't mean that you can't have a good pong battle (if you like pong that is... I hate it.) Something doesn't have to be hard to learn to require skill. As a matter of fact, it may require more true skill to be good at the game when playing feild is more level.

As a matter of Fact, I think simplifying the game is the best way to go. As it is right now, I think the game works well for a very specific audience. Why would you complain about auto punching if EVERYONE has it. The combat will change relative to it. I also think we all need to PLAY it to see how it really works out. I also kind of read it in disbelief, but I truely doubt its as midless as we think it is.

PCjoe, I think it's AWESOME that you guys are taking hints from Legends! Of all the DBZ games, that keeps the combat closest to the real sty of DBZ. As ESF is right now (not that it's bad) it's a big ramming game. I'm excited about it, keep hashin through it man!
Yes but Legends i will say is the best dbz game second to esf. When i first played esf i thought i was like legends. The only thing that needs to be added to make it like legends is some type of a upclose melee fight not auto punching though. Like i remember Forever Zero's post about when u get close up, Mouse 1 becomes light melee, and Mouse 2 becomes Hard melee, So when you get up close you two will be using light melee, Hard Melee, And Blocks. To fight like if you have seened Budokai's Melee Struggle animation. It would work like that but, It would be Like for example,

player 1. does Light Melee
Player 2. does light melee
Player 1. does block
player 2. does light melee

Light Melee Will take like 1 away from your hp if you block it. If you are hit by light melee it would take away 2 or 3 whichever you prefer.

Hard Melee is the regular swoop melee hit. So it would take the regular damage it has always takin.

Block should go just .2 seconds up from 1.0s recovery seconds, so it will be easier to attack again and keep the close up melee going and to be able to return your attack.

Hard melee can hit stun a blocker but the recovery for both of the hard melee and block will be: Hard Melee - .5 and Block - .6.5 (When hit by a hard melee only), So they could go at it again. Hard Melee would take 5 damage from the blocker though.

light Melee can hit a hard meleer two more times then a hard melee can hit them so it would be even.

Best answers
Here, let me 'change my context'. Maybe then I won't have my head up my ass.

Charged swooping: I don't really remember someone stopping to charge up ki to swoop in DBZ for any longer than about .0000000025 seconds. People would seemingly travel the globe off one swoop, even back in the Saiyan Saga. So if I have to wait the time it would take to fire a fully charged generic ki blast to get a full swoop as it is now, I'm going to be highly upset. I don't see a reason to have it be charged anyway, it's fine like it is. No targetting is double-edged in that I won't have to go through cumbersome steps of clicking on someone to get around, but also when I'm in a serious melee competition with someone and there's a lot of people in the server, it will be that much harder to see my 'target.' So I don't know how I'll feel about that.

Auto-punches: I think that whole idea should be scrapped, that's just my opinion. I have no idea on what would replace it, but it just sounds wrong to me. Those better be some INSANELY fast punches to be able to hit someone 12 times, or else I would feel powerless as I sat there and took medium-paced punches for about 8 seconds or so which did 3 or so damage a piece, and THEN I was stunned for 3 seconds to be thrown into a cliff or something for who knows how much damage. I'd rather have it to where when you go to swoop at someone, one button would start these 'punches', and the other would be how melee is now when you knocked someone back, but maybe not as far. How this would be blocked or whatever is something that I can't come up with right now, maybe I'll edit the post.

It just seems to me that melee is going downhill with these additions. The word cumbersome just seems to fit it best for me. I want the game to be as fast paced as possible, but I only see it limping along with how things look now. I like whoever's rock paper scissors style, but that would end up adding another button in dodge. I have a five button mouse, so I could manage but other people may not be so fortunate.

You said melee is subject to change. The way it is now needs to be more or less thrown out entirely, if you ask me. In fact, yes, ASK me. Talk to me in private about this, or someone who considers themselves to be in the upper echelon of melee players.

Keep the game fast. Fast is fun, slow is slum.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
With auto punches being in place will there still be the secondary hit button?... I want to make sure I can still tele-hit...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NOO.. more anims... think of my social life. *goes to cry in corner*

hehe.. the picks look sharp. even seems as we got hit anims now.

Best answers
heck, i'm just satisfied with having some news again to read!
that and at last one dev. journal update ;D

great info, waiting with great anticipation :laff:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not really enough information for me to comment on, but from what PcJoe has been saying it's very intriguing.
Only thing that doesn't sound good to me is the charge swoop, but I still have yet to experience it, so for all I know, it might better.

All in all sounds like it's going to be very cool.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin said:
Auto-punches: I think that whole idea should be scrapped, that's just my opinion. I have no idea on what would replace it, but it just sounds wrong to me. Those better be some INSANELY fast punches to be able to hit someone 12 times, or else I would feel powerless as I sat there and took medium-paced punches for about 8 seconds or so which did 3 or so damage a piece, and THEN I was stunned for 3 seconds to be thrown into a cliff or something for who knows how much damage. I'd rather have it to where when you go to swoop at someone, one button would start these 'punches', and the other would be how melee is now when you knocked someone back, but maybe not as far. How this would be blocked or whatever is something that I can't come up with right now, maybe I'll edit the post.
If you watched the video (as I know you did), then you saw how fast the punches were. After that he got thrown... I still don't like the idea though. Me and scorcher were gonna close off his server and practice to become some of the best.. but now it looks like I'll just have to goto PT's server, play for 5 minutes and I've got it all down pat! -_-'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom