FFVII vs FFX!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Welcome to the unofficial FFVII vs FFX thread!

You may have slight flamming, but not too much :) (this thread doesnt belong to you if you cant handle a little flamming! its just for fun!)

Simple, discuss in your opinion which game kicked more ass.

personally, i think FF7 kicked much more ass

EDIT:

Correction, we, the Whiney Mods® have decided to dissallow flaming on all areas of the board, this includes your thread. NO FLAMING.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
can a mod please add "let this game die.." to the poll?
I have 10.. so.. I guess 10?..
(never played it more then 15 mins.. only tried it twice.. ><)

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I enjoyed them both thouroughly.

Best answers
FFVII destroyed a company and set Sony up as the dominate console. FFX was a fun game, but it can hardly say something like THAT. I don't see how you can even dream of compairing the two. It's like compairing Elvis to any modern singer.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I enjoyed FF7 tremendously. It was one of the few games I've logged over 70 hours of gametime in. FF10 is a steaming pile of ****, just like FF8 was. FF9 wasn't garbage, it was just mediocre. FF10-2 is abominably, abysmally bad.

FF7 had revolutionary graphics for the time, a masterful soundtrack, a compelling and interesting story, insanely likable characters, and a fun combat system.

FF10's graphics were good, but not extraordinary for the time, the soundtrack was recycled garbage, and the plot was equally bad. As I said in the other thread, FF10 is about "A jackass jock hero whose father is a time-travelling space monster named Sin." The characters are not nearly as likable as FF7's, ESPECIALLY the main character--Does Tidus have anything on Cloud? No. Does Wakka have anything on Barrett? NO. Yuna on Aeris? No! Riiku on Yufie or Tifa? NO! The only remotely likable characters from FF10 were Auron, and arguably Lulu.

FF10 was formulaic compared to it's predecessors, while FF7 was a complete and utter jump from what FF6 was. FF10 had stupid gimmicks for fighting, like switching out of battle constantly. The "Sphere Grid" felt like grinding rather than discovering power along the way.

I maintain that Square or the 'Square' part of 'Square Enix' hasn't made a good game since 1997.

FF6 and FF7 are looked upon as gaming masterpieces. FFX isn't in the same league. Neither is 8, 9, or 10-2.

Best answers
Well.. I never played 10, but 7 is my favorite of all the games i have, even though i've stopped playing it.
I'm all about the story.. I hate it when people play today's games and then go back and are like, "OMG.. i can't believe i've been playing these old games.. my eyes are like killing me!!!" Graphics don't matter at all to me.. it's just eye candy.. but it's stupid for people to dislike the game because the graphics are outdated..

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
meh, ff8 destroyed anything that ff7 had going for it,
its storyline and gameplay were far superior, at least from where i was sitting =P
i never really was at a point in ff7 when i actually cared what was going to happen or had happened to anyone in the game, not enough emphasis was on the relationship between aeris and cloud for you to actually feel sorry for her when she died

ff8 however, i fell almost instantly into the character of squall, they did a remarkable job of conveying the emotions present onscreen. When squall jumped to his death, (he knew he didnt have enough air to make it back to the ship) to be with rinoa one last time, i almost cried like a baby >_<, but then again i did more or less "become" squall as i was playing, character wise it was like they had been stalking me/gathering information to base his personality on.

ff9 did have a good ending, when zidane showed up, the facial animation and the overal quality of the fmv sequence made you really feel how overjoyed dagger/garnet was that he was alive, and would make even the most evil person on earth smile, the same cant be said for the rest of the game though. its battle system and storyline was bland, (though the plot twists about garnet's origins were pretty neat) and the A.T.E. sequences were just plain annoying >_>, i can literally say, the only thing that kept me playing WAS the fancy fmv sequences,

f10 wasnt that bad, it was one of the best rpgs for the ps2, its gameplay was pretty solid but storyline wise it wasnt top-tier final fantasy work, i still miss ff3's >_< that one was pure genius

my vote goes to ff7

Best answers
I have completely finished both 7 and 10 just incase anyone says I'm being biased.

One of FF10's major down fall was the fact you could defeat anything with Yojimbo in a single attack (as long as you have sufficient funds), not to mention normal attacks doing 99,999 which pretty much rendered the final boss pathetic. In FF7 the final boss still presents a tiny challenge (except if you equip Final attack w/ Revive :p). The super boss ("penance") in 10 is pretty good although Yojimbo again can kill him instantly, however in 7 even if you have final attack w/ revive it's still hard and you actually have to think about it, since both super bosses require a different strategy.

Story

FF10: Yuna's adventure to find the aeons and stop sin.
FF7: The greatest thing about this game is that it keeps you guessing all the way through and it's not just a single minded plot where you just want to get to the other area and get another aeon.

Other stuff

Airship

FF10's Airship beats 7's one in looks however you can actually drive 7's around the "world"

Chocobo

FF10's chocobo system really annoyed the hell out of me where you can only ride it in certain area's and theres really no point in hiring one unless you don't like random battles.

Also FF7 has 1337 chocobo racing D:!!

Progressing

In 7 even if you are on 99 you can still gain levels with you're materia which pretty much supplies an infinate amount of levels (though boredom will eventually consume you i_i). 11 had a unique system I must admit, but after you cover the whole grid or find the monster which gives you master spheres it gets kinda pointless, unless you're gonna fill every spare space with other stuff then it can be pretty endless too.

Sure I enjoyed both playing experiences, but 7 takes the cookie/cake. If you already didn't intemperate that from my sig :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You see, I was goinna make this thread after our tiny debate in the last one but I was afraid a smod/admin would get on my case :p... Anyway, as I said before. People just need to let go of Final Fantasy VII. The game is about 7-8yrs old, its time to let it go.

Final Fantasy VII's storyline doesn't blow FFX's storyline away. However im not saying FFVII's storyline isn't better than X's. But the Storyline is all FFVII has going for it. Final Fantasy X beats it in every other department and you know it. From gameplay, to graphics, to sounds and even controls.

The Sphere Grid system was a bit more tactical than the Materia System and even better and more efficient, it didn't take countless hours of extended gameplay to maximize your characters stats to 255 like it did in FFVII. Also the Sub-Bosses were also more challenging than your Emerald & Ruby.

To reply to JLN about what he told me in the previous thread, he said...

JLN said:
After saying that though, I didn't hate FFX or anything. I thought it was a good game, and agree with what you said about some of the game play mechanics. Although it does appear you've tried to downplay FFVII's materia system by not mentioning the tactics behind combining materia.
See, you could choose what attributes you wanted to your character to go through first from the beginning of the game. When you first start playing Final Fantasy VII its obvious that your limited to what you get as you progress through the game. The only time you get to completely costumize your character is when your at the end of the game when your searching for all the Materia your missing - and hidden Materia's. And its obvious your going to give something like "Cure" Materia to someone who starts with High Magic Points (Tifa & Aeris) from the start.

Also, your not limited to level 99 in FFX, and getting Sphere Points is really fast when your defeating nothing but hard enemies in the end of the game. So you'll be able to maximize your characters stats (And your Aeons stats) to max. Not to mention after your done with the Sphere Grid you can simply fill up empty Nodes with new Attributes.

Final Fantasy X diserves more credit not just for its Graphics & Sound Quality. But for being the first Final Fantasy game with Voice Acting (The voices were not bad - and im sure you could've expected something similar from FFVII if it had voice acting in it).

I also disagree about what you said that you knew what was happening from the start. After you Tidus & Auron were swallowed by Sin you didn't exactly say "Hey - Sin is his dad, he was in a dream world). In fact you didn't even figure these things out till the middle-end of the game.

You find out alot about FFVII the same way. The only thing FFVII has going for it is the storyline. And fan boys have killed it so much im suprised no one has even considered forgetting about it. Also, everyone always says Tidus had a whiny personality, just so you know there were some annoying traits about the FFVII characters as well.

And what could probably get you thinking that way is because you were younger (you found stupid **** like the jokes in DBZ Humourous back then right? You grew up you realized how pathetic the series was and that the only thing that was cool about it was the fighting).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im gonna break down this other guy's argument hardcore >;D

Storyline
See, the storyline in Final Fantasy X wasn't complex, it was simple. The story wasn't really hard to understand. Meaning the storyline was bad or descent, it was good. And the ending was actually sad (for those that have feelings).

The only thing sad about FFVII was Aeris dying, and im kinda glad cause I cant imagine how useful she would've been against bosses like Emerald & Ruby.
Storyline isnt about sadness, its about plot. the entire plot of FFX can be summed up with "Disfunctional family". the story is about tidus hating his father, and yuna wanting to live up to the name of hers.

whereas FF7 is pretty diverse, the main character isnt even the main character, he just thinks he is. the person we think is sephiroth, isnt, its a clone, until you meet the real sephiroth who is, lets face it, pretty much dead until the awakening of the weapons. and then to top it off, theres a mad professor who locks away his best security guard, mutates his own unborn son, and tries to help him destroy the world. through the whole of FF7 you are guessing the true relationship between a lot of people, how come barrat is marlene's father? are tifa and cloud lovers? were they ever? what about clouds feelings toward airis? how can redXIII talk? and how come his grandfather is a human with no legs who can fly?! O_O
cool stuff :p
also, why exactly would she have died against emerald or ruby? she was actually no weaker than any of the other characters. you probably just didnt use her enough. her limit breaks were pretty usefull too, like emptying her bar, to fill 2 others to the max.... yeah cos thats a bad thing o_O or healing all status disorders, and maxing out hp? thats not too shabby either, especially if each character is at 9999.

Gameplay
The Sphere Grid was more efficient than the Materia grid in so many ways, I really dont want to go into every little tid bit.
theres no such thing as a materia grid o_O FF7 had the basic "kill and level up" thing going on, but you could change the attributes of your characters by adding different materia to their weapons. FFX was diverse enough that you could decide if your character would be magic, or combat oriented by the sphere grid, and the weapons did nothing but power them up.
both did the same, just in a different way.

and lets face it, thats not the ONLY aspect of gameplay. FF7 was one of the first games released on the PS1, so taking that into account, it doesnt even have the analogue stick enabled, but then again, as i said, its pretty early development. however, there are more sidequests than you can shake a stick at. and the biggest thing gameplay wise, is that

FF7 HAS A WORLD MAP!

Graphics
Well... Do I even have to compare FFVII to FFX? Their worlds apart. Also many of the FMV's wered just better to some of the ones shown in FFVII. Some...
of course you can compare them, but as you said, 1 they are worlds appart, and 2, they are different consoles, 3. there was only so much you can do with the FF7 engine (i know, ive been taking it appart with friends :p)

but saying that... FF7 was pretty revolutionary in its graphical quality when it was first released. whereas FFX....wasnt. there are many games for the ps2 that easily surpassed the FFX graphics upon its release.

[quoteSound & Music
The sound was obviously better than FFX, character voices weren't bad either (You cant bash on their voice acting anyway because for 1- It really wasn't bad and 2- It was Square's first attempt, just how FFVII was their first FF on the PS). The Music was great, you cant tell me you didn't like "OtherWorld". I bought the OST and it was nice.
The sounds were good, from foot steps all the way down to the shrieking piercings of your sword slashing the enemy.[/quote]

see the "graphics" comparison.
the best music from FFX was Jechts theme, that hard core rock anthem (Rammstein?) that plays when you fight him, and in the intro movie...
but then again, the game is ruined by the fact that they repeat the same piece over and over and over and over and over and......over, just with a different beat, and/or ambient setting (im talking about the temple tune thing that drove me insane.)
FF7 had many beautiful tunes, and some cool ones. the tune "Still More Fighting"(the boss battle tune) is awsome, and sounds even better when played in a rock band (i know, ive done it :p) but then theres airis theme, and her death tune... which were pretty beautiful. tifa has some nice music. but the best thing about FF7 is that each town and major area had its own "setting" and unique sound, even the basement in the shinra mansion.
"One Winged Angel" was the PERFECT music for sephiroth.

Camera/Controls
The Cameras are fixed like in FFVII, however the controls are better, because with or without the D-Pad you moved freely, in FFVII they had some wierd thing going where your controls was fixed along with the Camera, and at times where you would first enter a certain area with a new Camera angle you'd have to guess wether pressing left will make you go up or if up will make you go up.
see Gameplay, and Graphics comparisons.

Also when it came to Sub-Bosses FFX was more challenging...
which versions were you playing dude? o_O
both emerald and ruby weapon were capable of wiping out a maxed out party in 1 hit. not 1 per chatacter, but 1 hit total.
ive beaten every boss in FFX, every optional, Nemesis, the Dark Aeons, and Pennance. NONE of them were even remotely challanging compared to the might of FF7's optional bosses, heck, there were even some creatures (basic) in the Gelnika, or the Northern crater, which were capable of causing soem serious trouble for a maxed out team.

FF7 > FFX

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
G-Gear#666 said:
You see, I was goinna make this thread after our tiny debate in the last one but I was afraid a smod/admin would get on my case :p... Anyway, as I said before. People just need to let go of Final Fantasy VII. The game is about 7-8yrs old, its time to let it go.

Final Fantasy VII's storyline doesn't blow FFX's storyline away. However im not saying FFVII's storyline isn't better than X's. But the Storyline is all FFVII has going for it. Final Fantasy X beats it in every other department and you know it. From gameplay, to graphics, to sounds and even controls.

The Sphere Grid system was a bit more tactical than the Materia System and even better and more efficient, it didn't take countless hours of extended gameplay to maximize your characters stats to 255 like it did in FFVII. Also the Sub-Bosses were also more challenging than your Emerald & Ruby.

To reply to JLN about what he told me in the previous thread, he said...

See, you could choose what attributes you wanted to your character to go through first from the beginning of the game. When you first start playing Final Fantasy VII its obvious that your limited to what you get as you progress through the game. The only time you get to completely costumize your character is when your at the end of the game when your searching for all the Materia your missing - and hidden Materia's. And its obvious your going to give something like "Cure" Materia to someone who starts with High Magic Points (Tifa & Aeris) from the start.

Also, your not limited to level 99 in FFX, and getting Sphere Points is really fast when your defeating nothing but hard enemies in the end of the game. So you'll be able to maximize your characters stats (And your Aeons stats) to max. Not to mention after your done with the Sphere Grid you can simply fill up empty Nodes with new Attributes.

Final Fantasy X diserves more credit not just for its Graphics & Sound Quality. But for being the first Final Fantasy game with Voice Acting (The voices were not bad - and im sure you could've expected something similar from FFVII if it had voice acting in it).

I also disagree about what you said that you knew what was happening from the start. After you Tidus & Auron were swallowed by Sin you didn't exactly say "Hey - Sin is his dad, he was in a dream world). In fact you didn't even figure these things out till the middle-end of the game.

You find out alot about FFVII the same way. The only thing FFVII has going for it is the storyline. And fan boys have killed it so much im suprised no one has even considered forgetting about it. Also, everyone always says Tidus had a whiny personality, just so you know there were some annoying traits about the FFVII characters as well.

And what could probably get you thinking that way is because you were younger (you found stupid **** like the jokes in DBZ Humourous back then right? You grew up you realized how pathetic the series was and that the only thing that was cool about it was the fighting).
Your argument doesn't make sense. Which do you think is going to have better graphics, a game that came out in 1997, or one that came out in December of 2001? Duh. You can only compare graphics in terms of how they were relative to the standard at the time. FF7's were revolutionary. FF10's were not. Naturally FFX has better graphics because it's four and a half years NEWER.

And no, if you look at the sales numbers of the soundtracks, as well as the majority of people you directly ask's feelings about the musical score, and the sheer number of soundtracks MADE--the 5 DISC set, including the piano remixes of the songs.. FF10 loses there as well.

As for the voice acting, FF10 had the luxury of being on DVD to be able to carry the extra information. But it wasn't masterfully voice acted by any measure--I can name several with much better (Legaia 2, StarOcean3, Tales of Symphonia, etc)

In summary:

1) Your argument that FF10 has better graphics is meaningless, because FF10 is the sequel's sequel's sequel to FF7--naturally it's going to have better graphics. However, judging via. the "gaming standard" at the time, FF7 had better graphics in comparison.

2) Comparing the paltry soundtrack of FF10 to the masterful, epic soundtrack of FF7 whose numerous songs such as "One Winged Angel" will probably remain infamous for dozens of years, when multiple releases of the OSTs were done for 7, and not 10, piano remixes for 7 and not 10, you can see that FF10 loses again.

You said..
GuiltyGear said:
Final Fantasy VII's storyline doesn't blow FFX's storyline away. The only thing FFVII has going for it is the storyline. And fan boys have killed it so much im suprised no one has even considered forgetting about it.
The story is loved for a reason. There are fanboys for a reason. Because it's popular doesn't mean it's bad--it means it was WORTH REMEMBERING.

How can you tell the world loves FF7 more? It sold more copies than FF10 did. FF10-2 was the first FF to have a "story-related sequel" and it didn't sell well, because it was horribly crappy. However, after a mere technical demo, people all over the Internet went crazy with hope and anticipation at a REMAKE--not even a sequel--to one of the most loved games of all time.

This isn't even a competition. FF10 loses in every possible way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
Storyline isnt about sadness, its about plot. the entire plot of FFX can be summed up with "Disfunctional family". the story is about tidus hating his father, and yuna wanting to live up to the name of hers.

whereas FF7 is pretty diverse, the main character isnt even the main character, he just thinks he is. the person we think is sephiroth, isnt, its a clone, until you meet the real sephiroth who is, lets face it, pretty much dead until the awakening of the weapons. and then to top it off, theres a mad professor who locks away his best security guard, mutates his own unborn son, and tries to help him destroy the world. through the whole of FF7 you are guessing the true relationship between a lot of people, how come barrat is marlene's father? are tifa and cloud lovers? were they ever? what about clouds feelings toward airis? how can redXIII talk? and how come his grandfather is a human with no legs who can fly?! O_O
cool stuff :p
also, why exactly would she have died against emerald or ruby? she was actually no weaker than any of the other characters. you probably just didnt use her enough. her limit breaks were pretty usefull too, like emptying her bar, to fill 2 others to the max.... yeah cos thats a bad thing o_O or healing all status disorders, and maxing out hp? thats not too shabby either, especially if each character is at 9999.
Thats really not fair, you went more indepth with FFVII's storyline while you stayed quiet about FFX. Thats like me arguing...

FFVII was about a group of rebels destroying Mako Reactors

And then proceeding to type down a paragraph on all of the things in FFX. Which I will starting right now.

Tidus thought he knew who he was, he thought his world was real, and he thought he was alive. In the end he ends up falling for Yuna, and he dies. In the beginning you didn't know what the hell Sin was or how he got there, you end up finding out that the appearance of Sin was all lies.

You dont just go from describing what Yuna & Tidus's goals are (To find/follow their fathers foot steps). You end up finding out what Spira was all about. How the world is drowned in nothing but sea since the 1000 year old war. Those who are your friends, end up being your enemy, the story felt more serious than FFVII, it didn't have a dumb puppet being controlled by a Shinra employee, called Cait Sith who dies and then comes back as v2.0.

Not to mention you find out about the horrible fate of a Summoner, how a summoner must sacrifice their own life, and the life of a guardian to make the Final Summon, only to find out in the end it was all a lie to temporary make the Chaos cease. Sin would always be reborn untill they finally decided to defie everything that they beleived in and thought out to be true.

Seymour kills his father, his mother becomes a summon. The people of Spira lived their entier lives a lie. Its only natural someone like Tidus would react the way a human being would in a case like that...

Then in the end having to kill your own father, and then disappearing from the world, never being able to see the girl he loved again.

Mad_AxMan said:
theres no such thing as a materia grid o_O FF7 had the basic "kill and level up" thing going on, but you could change the attributes of your characters by adding different materia to their weapons. FFX was diverse enough that you could decide if your character would be magic, or combat oriented by the sphere grid, and the weapons did nothing but power them up.
both did the same, just in a different way.
I said Materia Grid by mistake (too busy thinking about what I was goinna say next). Still, the fact that you could set your characters attributes from the start is better. I preferred making Tidus have more power and Speed. You really didn't get Materia's that would speed up your characters stats (like MP/HP+) till like the end of the game.

Not to mention you could break your HP/MP & Damage Limit. Dealing 99999 every round with a regulard character, while then being able to deal 999999 with a summon...

Mad_AxMan said:
and lets face it, thats not the ONLY aspect of gameplay. FF7 was one of the first games released on the PS1, so taking that into account, it doesnt even have the analogue stick enabled, but then again, as i said, its pretty early development. however, there are more sidequests than you can shake a stick at. and the biggest thing gameplay wise, is that
Final Fantasy X was the first FF released for PS2. And because of the fact that its next-gen it should diserve more credit, you can take alot of the things FFVII was missing and apply it to FFX.

Mad_AxMan said:
FF7 HAS A WORLD MAP!
Final Fantasy X has a world map too.

Mad_AxMan said:
of course you can compare them, but as you said, 1 they are worlds appart, and 2, they are different consoles, 3. there was only so much you can do with the FF7 engine (i know, ive been taking it appart with friends :p)

but saying that... FF7 was pretty revolutionary in its graphical quality when it was first released. whereas FFX....wasnt. there are many games for the ps2 that easily surpassed the FFX graphics upon its release.
Im sorry but if you want to go out of the Genre of RPG's about GFX then I can mention ALOT of non-rpg games that had better GFX than FFVII.

Mad_AxMan said:
see the "graphics" comparison.
the best music from FFX was Jechts theme, that hard core rock anthem (Rammstein?) that plays when you fight him, and in the intro movie...
but then again, the game is ruined by the fact that they repeat the same piece over and over and over and over and over and......over, just with a different beat, and/or ambient setting (im talking about the temple tune thing that drove me insane.)
FF7 had many beautiful tunes, and some cool ones. the tune "Still More Fighting"(the boss battle tune) is awsome, and sounds even better when played in a rock band (i know, ive done it :p) but then theres airis theme, and her death tune... which were pretty beautiful. tifa has some nice music. but the best thing about FF7 is that each town and major area had its own "setting" and unique sound, even the basement in the shinra mansion.
"One Winged Angel" was the PERFECT music for sephiroth.
Like "OtherWorld" (The FFX "Rammstein" song you mentioned). The majority of the people who listened to the FFVII Soundtrack mostly hear "One Winged Angel". Both sounds tracks had pretty much 1 good Track in it that were just too good from the rest. IMO, FFX-2's sound track is better though.

Mad_AxMan said:
which versions were you playing dude? o_O
both emerald and ruby weapon were capable of wiping out a maxed out party in 1 hit. not 1 per chatacter, but 1 hit total.
ive beaten every boss in FFX, every optional, Nemesis, the Dark Aeons, and Pennance. NONE of them were even remotely challanging compared to the might of FF7's optional bosses, heck, there were even some creatures (basic) in the Gelnika, or the Northern crater, which were capable of causing soem serious trouble for a maxed out team.

FF7 > FFX
Actually, no. Emerald could never kill you in 1 hit, and neither could Ruby. The amount of damage done to you by Emerald was equivalent to how many Materia's one of your characters was equipped with. All you really needed was Omni Slash & Knights of the Round, everytime you get hit by Emerald's special move (the one that deals alot of damage depending on how much Materia you had on), you could easily come back to full health by throwing a Megaelixir (And by that point of the game you should have like over 70 Megaelixirs).

SailorAlea said:
Your argument doesn't make sense. Which do you think is going to have better graphics, a game that came out in 1997, or one that came out in December of 2001? Duh. You can only compare graphics in terms of how they were relative to the standard at the time. FF7's were revolutionary. FF10's were not. Naturally FFX has better graphics because it's four and a half years NEWER.
As I said before, because of the fact that FFVII is an older game > FFX beats it in the GFX department (And when it comes to controls & Sounds it also beats FFVII). Why cant anyone seem to understand the whole point of development... Thats like saying you prefer Old Records instead of CD Quality music because its old skool.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FFX doesn't have a world map, just a location indicator.

The only things I can think of that FFX beats FFVII is:

Graphics (obviously, thanks to being on a superior console)
Dolby Digital Sound (see above)
Voice Actors (not good ones, but at least it had voice actors)

Length I suppose as well, it took me 260 hours on FFX to get a perfect 100% save, and on FFVII it only took me 70 hours, but seeing as the quality of game was better for VII i'd say i'd prefer that over 260 hours of average RPG gaming.

BUT!

If FFVII was remade and given good voice actors, it would beat FFX hands down in every aspect. Characters, plot, materia system, battle system, experience system (sphere grid can suck my 'spheres') and a much more memomarable music score.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This thread is liable to burn a whole right through the forum. I'm watching it and handing out warnings indiscriminantly and with extreme prejudice. Anyone gets out of control in here, you're getting warned and this thread is being taken out back like Old Yeller. Got it!?

...And shame on you all, 3/6 was the best one. Heh.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Ravendust said:
If FFVII was remade and given good voice actors, it would beat FFX hands down in every aspect. Characters, plot, materia system, battle system, experience system (sphere grid can suck my 'spheres') and a much more memomarable music score.
God willing that's what the PS3 technical demo implies.

I won't go into the actual detail of the games, that grounds been covered and recovered. Here's my own personal slant on what defined the two games, though.

I think the real problem with FFX is that it's so damn depressing. I mean Tidus has no home, no father, isn't actually, kinda, real. Wakkas head over heels for Lulu but too scared to do anything, living in his brothers shadow. Lulus in permanent mourning. Aurons a failure. Yunas entire quest is an excercise in futility!

Ahem. :D

FFX was the swan song of its creator Hironobu Sakaguchi. After ten 'last' games he finally stepped down. FFX-2 was a little odd in that the ingame rape of Spiras soul mirrored the real-world rape of his dream. But ah well.

Now FFVII had a lot to be depressed about. People died left, right and centre. A cruel corporation was draining the world of energy. The characters all went through crisis of identity. And yet the aspect of hope, the idea that somehow they could make a difference, never left them. Cloud went insane but he hardly whined about Sephiroth. Barret mourned the death of his friends and family but he didn't shirk the weight of it, rather he carried it like a cross on his back as he marched for vengence.

In FFVII they fought to save the world, a good bit of FFX was merely continuing a circle of hopelessness and even when they won, they lost. Back then Hironobu had something to say. In FFX the only thing he spoke of was the mourning of what had been and the inevibility of the end.

(And yes FF6 rocked both of them. And yes Hironobu was picked up by Mircrosoft. All I can say to that is 'It's a funny old world'.)

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just a note on this thread: Although the thread creator does say that "slight flaming is allowed", he is superseded by the AUP which states that no flaming is tolerated. Keep that in mind.

Having said that, I will go on to my personal opinion on the matter.

I liked both FF7 and FFX. To be honest, there has yet to be a Final Fantasy I don't like for at least a few reasons, of course, with the exception of FF11, since it isn't an FF game in the same sense as 1 through 10-2 were.

However, I am inclined to agree that 7's story was more complex. At times, I found myself putting the control down for a moment to let everything sink in and let myself catch up with the story (like in the scene where the player, as Tifa, explores Cloud's mind). There is actually a significant amount of character development going on most of the time. We see quite a bit of change in the main character, alone, as he starts off as the "kick-ass" mercenary and develops into a character whom we feel quite a bit of emotion from. Without trying to describe Cloud's complex development, or the development of any of the characters, for that matter (since I really do not have the time nor the recollection to put it all down in a summary), it is safe to say that FF7 weaves a complex and absolutely compelling story.

FFX also has character development. However, I was never really drawn in to the same extent as I was with FF7. FFX featured (and this put me off of looking into the game for a while) a water-sports player. Ok...I can lear to work with that, I suppose, if character development takes him a few steps further. However, I found that I didn't really get into Tidus' character to any great extent. The story was well written, too. However, I found it to be a bit too much of that old "love-story" at all too many points. I suppose people could argue that such a thing exists in FF7 between Cloud and Aeris...but Aeris is removed fairly early on in the game. Tidus has the "understood" role of the child that begrudges his father. This is something, I believe, that people will tend to relate to if they happen to be in the same situation as our friend Tidus. Despite that, however, I do not think that Tidus was developed deeply enough for me to see any need or want to have that kind of relation to form.

For me, the more complex the FF story, the better - the more to explore. IMO, FF7 had more of a story to explore than FFX did.

A big determining factor for me is music. I love music, I enjoy being a musician, and I like to write music whenever I get a unique melody stuck in my head. FF7, in my opinion, as a musician, had a breathtaking soundtrack. Each scene was correctly given an appropriate ambiance with the soundtrack. Whether I felt immersed in the questionable feel of the Wall Market, or felt threatened by discovery in the lower floors of the Shinra building, the soundtrack effectively bolstered that feel. As has been stated, it has an epic soundtrack.

FFX had a different kind of soundtrack. The better part of it seemed very ambiant. To me, little of it stuck out as really interesting or epic. Granted, I did find it a little neat to hear each temple's rendition of that chant. However, I don't like the more romantic music that started chiming in towards the end. I don't like wandering around, fighting brutal enemies while listening to a piano-and-strings rendition of Suteki da ne (my apologies if I still cannot spell that correctly >_>). However, the fact of the matter is that, whenever I listen to FFX's OST, I find myself skipping over the majority of the tracks thinking "Hmm, that's a bit dull...it was probably used on the approach to the <insert name> temple. I'll go ahead to another song".

However, don't get the impression that I didn't like FFX. It was good, in its own way.

Still, when I compare the two, I cannot help but give my vote to FF7. I found it more challenging, more intricate, and more compelling than X.

Best answers
G-Gear#666 said:
Thats like saying you prefer Old Records instead of CD Quality music because its old skool.
I'd just like to point out that it's possible to get a better sound off a record that a CD. CD's are digital and as you might know, digital audio has limits. Records are anolog, no limits.

Anyway, I stand by my statement that you can't compair FFVII and FFX, but I do agree that everyone is selling FFX's story short.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Half-Unit said:
I'd just like to point out that it's possible to get a better sound off a record that a CD. CD's are digital and as you might know, digital audio has limits. Records are anolog, no limits.
youve obviously never recorded music then >_>

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
G-Gear#666 said:
Thats really not fair, you went more indepth with FFVII's storyline while you stayed quiet about FFX. Thats like me arguing...

FFVII was about a group of rebels destroying Mako Reactors

And then proceeding to type down a paragraph on all of the things in FFX. Which I will starting right now.

Tidus thought he knew who he was, he thought his world was real, and he thought he was alive. In the end he ends up falling for Yuna, and he dies. In the beginning you didn't know what the hell Sin was or how he got there, you end up finding out that the appearance of Sin was all lies.

You dont just go from describing what Yuna & Tidus's goals are (To find/follow their fathers foot steps). You end up finding out what Spira was all about. How the world is drowned in nothing but sea since the 1000 year old war. Those who are your friends, end up being your enemy, the story felt more serious than FFVII, it didn't have a dumb puppet being controlled by a Shinra employee, called Cait Sith who dies and then comes back as v2.0.

Not to mention you find out about the horrible fate of a Summoner, how a summoner must sacrifice their own life, and the life of a guardian to make the Final Summon, only to find out in the end it was all a lie to temporary make the Chaos cease. Sin would always be reborn untill they finally decided to defie everything that they beleived in and thought out to be true.

Seymour kills his father, his mother becomes a summon. The people of Spira lived their entier lives a lie. Its only natural someone like Tidus would react the way a human being would in a case like that...

Then in the end having to kill your own father, and then disappearing from the world, never being able to see the girl he loved again.

I said Materia Grid by mistake (too busy thinking about what I was goinna say next). Still, the fact that you could set your characters attributes from the start is better. I preferred making Tidus have more power and Speed. You really didn't get Materia's that would speed up your characters stats (like MP/HP+) till like the end of the game.

Not to mention you could break your HP/MP & Damage Limit. Dealing 99999 every round with a regulard character, while then being able to deal 999999 with a summon...

Final Fantasy X was the first FF released for PS2. And because of the fact that its next-gen it should diserve more credit, you can take alot of the things FFVII was missing and apply it to FFX.

Im sorry but if you want to go out of the Genre of RPG's about GFX then I can mention ALOT of non-rpg games that had better GFX than FFVII.

Like "OtherWorld" (The FFX "Rammstein" song you mentioned). The majority of the people who listened to the FFVII Soundtrack mostly hear "One Winged Angel". Both sounds tracks had pretty much 1 good Track in it that were just too good from the rest. IMO, FFX-2's sound track is better though.

Actually, no. Emerald could never kill you in 1 hit, and neither could Ruby. The amount of damage done to you by Emerald was equivalent to how many Materia's one of your characters was equipped with. All you really needed was Omni Slash & Knights of the Round, everytime you get hit by Emerald's special move (the one that deals alot of damage depending on how much Materia you had on), you could easily come back to full health by throwing a Megaelixir (And by that point of the game you should have like over 70 Megaelixirs).

As I said before, because of the fact that FFVII is an older game > FFX beats it in the GFX department (And when it comes to controls & Sounds it also beats FFVII). Why cant anyone seem to understand the whole point of development... Thats like saying you prefer Old Records instead of CD Quality music because its old skool.
GuiltyGear said:
As I said before, because of the fact that FFVII is an older game > FFX beats it in the GFX department (And when it comes to controls & Sounds it also beats FFVII).
You're continually, repeatedly turning your eyes away from simple facts. To say that FF10 has better graphics than FF7 is meaningless, because they are from different time periods. However, which was better for it's time? FF7's graphics were revolutionary. FF10's were not.

Just because you explained FF10's plot doesn't mean it's good, just like summarizing the movie "Battlefield Earth" doesn't make it good. FF10's story wasn't terrible, but it was mediocre, boring and the characters were not likable.

GuiltyGear said:
And FF7 was the first RPG released for PS1. Congrats.

And no, just because FF10 came out 4 years later does not mean it "deserves more credit."

Does "You Got Served" deserve more credit than 'The Godfather' or 'Casablanca' because it's newer? Ludicrous!

GuiltyGear said:
No, it did not. It showered you where you were, with a map. But you never travelled freely on the map.

GuiltyGear said:
He's talking about exactly what I am. Compared to the current generation of games when FF7 came out, FF7 was a spectacular leap forward in the 1997 era of games. FF10 was similar to the competition in graphics to the titles coming out in the early 2002 period.

GuiltyGear said:
I've already been over this. FF7 released and re-released their soundtracks in massive sets because of it's popularity. You can't compare the two with any logic. People in this thread have already agreed with me--the FF7 soundtrack fit perfectly with the universe, FF10's never really stood out as exceptional.

All in all, this boils down to your resentment of people holding FF7 in high regard because it's "old, and people should move on." Those are your words. Silly, baseless argument. People don't move on from classics--they are worthy of remeberance.

Best answers
Actually, I have recorded music, but I'm not talking about the amount of tracks digital audio offers, I'm talking about the literal sound quality between the two. Digital audio will always be limited to X amount of quality. Take a PS2 controller, for instance. The digital pad restricts you to 8 directions of movement, while the analog stick allows unlimited directions of movement. Anyone who knows anything about music knows analog will give you a better sound. But alas, this is a topic for another thread, and while you're allowed to break the rules, I'm not.

Only music in FFX I really enjoyed was "Calm Before the Storm". Of course I learned later that it was one of the only pieces composed by Nobuo Uematsu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom