FFVII vs FFX!

Best answers
FFVII stole a large portion of my life from me. In a good way.

That just about sums up my feelings right there.

Best answers
G-Gear said:
See, you could choose what attributes you wanted to your character to go through first from the beginning of the game. When you first start playing Final Fantasy VII its obvious that your limited to what you get as you progress through the game.
This is true, but I personally felt that the sphere grid in FFX meant you could make all the characters pretty much the same, and take away the uniqueness that I feel is important to differentiate the characters in the game. Both have their advantages in my opinion, so I guess it's completely down to personal opinion.

G-Gear said:
Also, your not limited to level 99 in FFX, and getting Sphere Points is really fast when your defeating nothing but hard enemies in the end of the game. So you'll be able to maximize your characters stats (And your Aeons stats) to max. Not to mention after your done with the Sphere Grid you can simply fill up empty Nodes with new Attributes.
Fair point, but level 99 was more than high enough for FFVII in my opinion. The first time through I didn't get anywhere near lv99 with most of my characters by the time I got to the end of the game, so being able to increase stats past that would have made no difference to me.

G-Gear said:
Final Fantasy X diserves more credit not just for its Graphics & Sound Quality. But for being the first Final Fantasy game with Voice Acting
This seems like double standards to me. The voice acting is bad. But you're trying to say that it deserves credit for achieving something new. However, any time anyone says that FFVII's graphics deserve credit for achieving something new, you entirely deny it. I also personally preferred no voices, I've always kind of enjoyed having the characters voices in my head in RPG's.

G-Gear said:
I also disagree about what you said that you knew what was happening from the start. After you Tidus & Auron were swallowed by Sin you didn't exactly say "Hey - Sin is his dad, he was in a dream world). In fact you didn't even figure these things out till the middle-end of the game.
Yeah, but most of the game comprised of you going on a jolly little quest to gather Aeons, to do something that has been done many times before. The twists in the story only appeared towards the end of the game, and so you were left thinking about what was happening throughout the game, there wasn't any suspense in that respect. Also, the way the twists were introduced, I felt there was no real shock factor either. I'd pretty much put two and two together and guessed that Jecht would be something to do with Sin before you actually found out.

G-Gear said:
You find out alot about FFVII the same way. The only thing FFVII has going for it is the storyline. And fan boys have killed it so much im suprised no one has even considered forgetting about it. Also, everyone always says Tidus had a whiny personality, just so you know there were some annoying traits about the FFVII characters as well.
I much preferred the story progress in FFVII. There were plenty of interesting twists that you couldn't see coming, and the story followed the main character Cloud, as opposed to FFX which followed the relationship between Tidus and Yuna. As I said in the other thread, I also found the FFVII storyline to be on a much more epic scale, which is something that I find absoloutely necessary in an RPG.

G-Gear said:
And what could probably get you thinking that way is because you were younger (you found stupid **** like the jokes in DBZ Humourous back then right? You grew up you realized how pathetic the series was and that the only thing that was cool about it was the fighting).
This is simply wrong. I played FFVII recently and enjoyed it just as much.

SailorAlea said:
I've already been over this. FF7 released and re-released their soundtracks in massive sets because of it's popularity. You can't compare the two with any logic. People in this thread have already agreed with me--the FF7 soundtrack fit perfectly with the universe, FF10's never really stood out as exceptional.
I entirely agree with your opinion here, but there's no point arguing about music. It's subjective. All you've done is appeal to popularity, this isn't really a good way to form an argument :)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Overall, your post was good, JLN. I'm not saying FF7's music is better simply because it was more popular--it was more popular because it was better. If we accept as a general rule that the better something is, the more it will be liked, you can indeed "appeal to popularity" as an indicator of quality.

There are numerous cases where good things aren't popular, and popular things that aren't good. However, these are exceptions for the most part. Since, as you said, music is subjective, I can't force someone else to believe that one is better over another, I can only refer to it's popularity via sales/reproduction/etc.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You guy's should just stop argue'ing with SailorAlea,
You'll just get pwned by her one way or another ><

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-JLN- said:
This is true, but I personally felt that the sphere grid in FFX meant you could make all the characters pretty much the same, and take away the uniqueness that I feel is important to differentiate the characters in the game. Both have their advantages in my opinion, so I guess it's completely down to personal opinion.
Well, aside from the Sphere grid, FFX also did introduce the ability to costumize your armor & weapons. Which applies really useful special abilities like Auto-Haste, Auto-Life and the ability to strengthen your weapons Strength or your characters magic by 10-30%. That was also completely costumizable. For example at the moment this is my Tidus:

All Attributes -255
Special Abilities (Weapon): (Well if you have his Celestial weapons you'll know)
Special Abilities (Armor): Auto-Haste, Auto-Potion, Break HP Limit

Aside from that you could gain new Limit Orders which set out how you want your overdrive gauge to be filled, so if you got something like "Sufferer" and apply it to a character their Overdrive gauge would only fill up when they suffer from Status Ailments.

The more consequential the more it fills up. Though it wont matter if you give a character that ability that increases their overdrive by 3 times.

-JLN- said:
Fair point, but level 99 was more than high enough for FFVII in my opinion. The first time through I didn't get anywhere near lv99 with most of my characters by the time I got to the end of the game, so being able to increase stats past that would have made no difference to me.
Your right, because in the end the only thing you really needed to rely on was Omni Slash and Knights of the Round. Not to mention they whored Bahamut by making 3 diffrent versions (OMG Its Bahamut Zero! It came from Space!)

-JLN- said:
This seems like double standards to me. The voice acting is bad. But you're trying to say that it deserves credit for achieving something new. However, any time anyone says that FFVII's graphics deserve credit for achieving something new, you entirely deny it. I also personally preferred no voices, I've always kind of enjoyed having the characters voices in my head in RPG's.
The voice acting was not bad. Dragon Ball Z in english was bad (Everyone had a perfect english accent somehow...). The voices really went along with the characters. But yeah, regardless of that it was still the first Final Fantasy to introduce voice acting. And why shouldn't it diserve a bit of credit just for that?

-JLN- said:
Yeah, but most of the game comprised of you going on a jolly little quest to gather Aeons, to do something that has been done many times before. The twists in the story only appeared towards the end of the game, and so you were left thinking about what was happening throughout the game, there wasn't any suspense in that respect. Also, the way the twists were introduced, I felt there was no real shock factor either. I'd pretty much put two and two together and guessed that Jecht would be something to do with Sin before you actually found out.
Actually only 3 Aeons were optiona (but do you regret not getting Anima? - Which is claimed to be the most bad ass summon in any FF if im not mistaken). So you weren't suprised when Seymour killed off almost the entier Ronso tribe? You weren't suprised when you found out the true destiny of a summoner (Death)? Some characters like Seymour turned out to be villians from the start (and you even knew this with Sephiroth - they both started out as good people - The Sephiroth you knew was a clone, The Seymour you thought you knew was a dead man. They both tried to gain power from another source and they both failed).

-JLN- said:
I much preferred the story progress in FFVII. There were plenty of interesting twists that you couldn't see coming, and the story followed the main character Cloud, as opposed to FFX which followed the relationship between Tidus and Yuna. As I said in the other thread, I also found the FFVII storyline to be on a much more epic scale, which is something that I find absoloutely necessary in an RPG.
Just so you know, im not saying FFVII's storyline isn't good, or that FFX's is better. But you gotta take into consideration (This also applies to your World Map reply). Final Fantasy X was a game that only focused around its storyline. Which also explains why it was shorter than FFVII gameplay-wise, but even before the game there was still alot of **** you had to do (Getting Anima, capturing monsters to find even harder fiends, killing Omega Weapon and not to mention trying to get everyones single Overdrive and Overdrive Set - Then there was the Celestial Weapons, which arguably the only annoying part about that was dodging 200 lightning bolts to get LuLu's Onion Knight powered up).

There weren't many things that distracted the storyline in Final Fantasy X. Yuna being captured by Seymour and the Al Bheds was necessary in the plot, It was all about revealing Spira's Past and Spira's true nature (And you cant say that Machean is not one of the most interesting characters in that game... The way he tells you about Spira, that old man sounds really convincing).

Final Fantasy VII had alot of things that distracted you from the storyline (Yuffie stealing your Materia) What was the point of that? She gives it back after your save her life? You dont know how annoying it was to fight without Materia, it just proved how much you had to rely on it.

And for some reason now that Im trying to imagine Red XIII with Voice acting I think of that annoying Scooby Doo's voice...

-JLN- said:
This is simply wrong. I played FFVII recently and enjoyed it just as much.
How many times have you played FFVII? I replayed it 3 times and im already tired of the same ****... You already know whats going to happen, and the second time I only replayed it to get some things that I missed out in the early parts of the game (like the 2nd Turtle's Paradise Flyer that is in the Shinra Building).

Also I can easily argue about how Chrono Trigger was way better and more complex and difficult than Final Fantasy VII. But you would also be in my position if you wanted to argue about how developed Final Fantasy VII was...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
er... sephiroth wasnt a clone.

your arguments agains FF7s story are now null and void, on the grounds that you actually dont know **** of what your talking about.

sephiroth, was concieved by Lucrecia, and Proffessor Hojo. who then implanted the Jenova cells into the still developin Fetus. any encounters made with "Sephiroth" that are outside of 1. the nibelheim flashback, and 2. the events of the northern crater, shortly before weapons are unleashed, are clones. but sephiroth himself, wasnt.

Yuffie, was an optional character. she only stole your materia if 1. you have her in your party, and 2. you visit Wutai with her in your party.

Vincent is also an optional character.

this is where FF7's story becomes more diverse. in FFX the whole story, in all its fathomable details, is laid out crystal clear right in front of you... even when i read books, the good ones arent like that, things always keep you guessing, theres subtlety's that you can only get by reading it a second time, or paying extra extra close attention.

the way FF7 did this, was that it had optional characters, (vince in particular) who had VERY significant roles in the story. and yes, you would know roughtly what happens by playing through and paying attention. but without doing the sidequests, there are a lot of unanswered questions.

that also ties in with gameplay. the mode i did the sidequests, the more i wanted to do more and more and more, because i wanted to know the full story.

in FFX the only sidequests that i remember, are the celestial weapons, which lets face it, were more annoying than challanging. the dark aeons, which werent too challanging at all. and then capturing all the monsters to fight nemesis, who wasnt too hard, and in the end, all those sidequests dont actually add to the story in any way, they merely cause you to fight more battles, and get even stronger...

then again, by getting strong enough, you can beat jecht with 2 hits. om..... even maxed out it takes more than that to beat sephiroth... challange? i think not...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
er... sephiroth wasnt a clone.

your arguments agains FF7s story are now null and void, on the grounds that you actually dont know **** of what your talking about.

sephiroth, was concieved by Lucrecia, and Proffessor Hojo. who then implanted the Jenova cells into the still developin Fetus. any encounters made with "Sephiroth" that are outside of 1. the nibelheim flashback, and 2. the events of the northern crater, shortly before weapons are unleashed, are clones. but sephiroth himself, wasnt.
Sorry for not being "Specific" enough, but thats what I was talking about.

Mad_AxMan said:
this is where FF7's story becomes more diverse. in FFX the whole story, in all its fathomable details, is laid out crystal clear right in front of you... even when i read books, the good ones arent like that, things always keep you guessing, theres subtlety's that you can only get by reading it a second time, or paying extra extra close attention.

the way FF7 did this, was that it had optional characters, (vince in particular) who had VERY significant roles in the story. and yes, you would know roughtly what happens by playing through and paying attention. but without doing the sidequests, there are a lot of unanswered questions.

that also ties in with gameplay. the mode i did the sidequests, the more i wanted to do more and more and more, because i wanted to know the full story.
I know him being part of the story was better explained with vincent around. But what the hell was having Yuffie there? As if you weren't going to get her into your party from the start... That'd be lame getting to the fourth disc without Yuffie in your party, but pretty much the only role she did play was getting kidnapped by a pervert.

Mad_AxMan said:
in FFX the only sidequests that i remember, are the celestial weapons, which lets face it, were more annoying than challanging. the dark aeons, which werent too challanging at all. and then capturing all the monsters to fight nemesis, who wasnt too hard, and in the end, all those sidequests dont actually add to the story in any way, they merely cause you to fight more battles, and get even stronger...
I dont know a thing about the Dark Aeons, I dont have the PAL version. But I have read up on alot from Penance. However if the Dark Aeons were anything like they were in FFX-2 then im not complaining. But arguably fighting Ruby & Emerald, obtaining Knights of the Round as well as any Level 4 Limit break were also pretty much done for side-quest purposes. Its not like you couldn't defeat Sephiroth without them.

Mad_AxMan said:
then again, by getting strong enough, you can beat jecht with 2 hits. om..... even maxed out it takes more than that to beat sephiroth... challange? i think not...
If FFVII could break over the 9999 Limit (which in too bad, it cant). Sephiroth would die just as fast. And also thats aside the point, I find it interesting that Sephiroth gives you a challenge in FFVII when your characters are at level 99.

Even without my FFVII's characters attributes maxed out I took sephiroth down easily at Level 70-80 without even having Knights of the Round or Omnislash at that moment, his SuperNova attack is overexagurated when it doesn't even deal that much damage.

Best answers
That'd be lame getting to the fourth disc without Yuffie in your party, but pretty much the only role she did play was getting kidnapped by a pervert.

Well, I can see how Sephiroth wouldn't be a challenge to you. You got to the fourth disk of a three disk game! Incredible. But seriously, Yuffie was there because, why not? Is it a crime to have semi-pointless characters in a game? Because last I checked the Chrono Cross team hasn't been executed yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
he poses a challange, since if any of your party are over level 50, he becomes more powerfull (he is level 50 normally, as he was when he was "decomissioned" in nibelheim). but if you reach level 50, he goes to level 99. and not to mention his supernova attack, which is devistating to your party, unless your properly equipped, as it inflicts confuse, frog, berserk, poison, sleep, stop, and a couple of others (it appears to be random, but the attack code is hard to figure out.) and since you cant break the damage/hp limit (ff8 was the first to do that, with Eden.) then level 99 sephiroth with a supernova attack dealing at least 7000 damage to a level 99 team, with those status effects, isnt going to be pretty.

also, yuffie had a role in explaining the war between Wutai, and the Midgar continent, as well as sephiroths role in that war.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Final Fantasy 7 is better then Final Fantasy 10.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Xenogias said:
Actually only 3 Aeons were optiona (but do you regret not getting Anima? - Which is claimed to be the most bad ass summon in any FF if im not mistaken). So you weren't suprised when Seymour killed off almost the entier Ronso tribe? You weren't suprised when you found out the true destiny of a summoner (Death)? Some characters like Seymour turned out to be villians from the start (and you even knew this with Sephiroth - they both started out as good people - The Sephiroth you knew was a clone, The Seymour you thought you knew was a dead man. They both tried to gain power from another source and they both failed).
I didn't feel any remorse when Seymour committed Ronso genocide. Nor when you find out Yuna is condemened to a fate of death, because the characters were the story and it all seemed incrediably contrived. FFVII distinguished and distanced the story and it's characters. You're a mystery man, you join a small resistance group, and over 3 discs you build up until you're taking on a corporation, a president, an army and ultimately, a god.

FFX seems to stick you on a linear story path. You join Yuna and her guardians to gather one summon after another then destroy Sin. They tell you that early on in the game, whereas FFVII's story took many twists and turns and didn't feel like it had a set path (anyone else shocked when Sephiroth suddenly killed Aeris?). Cloud has character development, he is a cold-hearted warrior who develops a sense of empathy. Tidus is incessantly annoying (how many times did he say 'This is my story'?) and scarcely changes at all.

Role-playing is about escapism. For that you need realistic characters in an interesting story, and that's where FFVII triumphs, even if it isn't as pretty or has as many bells and whistles as it's competitor.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FFT>FF7>FFX

when i played FFX after about 1 hour i put down the controller and decided the game was ass.

now see a real game is FFT

that game had so many twists, not to mention if you actually read alot of the side stuff they had freaking character bios for the political figures within the game. ive never seen an rpg take so much care into a story.

also if u want to see which game is better just compare the all the extra crap ff7 has for it

it has had character cameos in FFT, KH, Ehrgeiz not to mention a spinoff game in production staring vincent, and lets not forget advent children.

what did FFX have besides a really horrible sequel?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blitzball was a pretty addicting mini-game in FFX. I found myself playing it more even after I beat the game, but yah I got tired of playing FFX.

Best answers
Yuck. Not even comparable. FFX was one of the worst mainstream Final Fantasies by far. I have quite a few gripes with it.

1. You can get HP and do dmg past 9,999.
2. The main charecter sounds like a girl, and just plain gets on my nerves.
3. The other charecters don't have interesting stories.
4. Overall storyline just falls short of the quality Final Fantasy game I expect.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Xenogias said:
Blitzball was a pretty addicting mini-game in FFX. I found myself playing it more even after I beat the game, but yah I got tired of playing FFX.
I've put more hours into Blitzball than the actual game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, thats funny, I think I put like a total of maybe 10-20hrs into it. It'd be cool if Blitzball was independant, like its own game (If they can have stupid chocobo racing they can have blitzball).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom