Dragonball Z Tenkaichi 2 -- Revolution

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
60 hours of gameplay and DragonBall Z games just don't mix, The only the I can say is " We will see".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It seems believable to me, Some DB + all of Z + most of GT + movies in a mode where you spend time flying round earth, visiting cities and talking to people as well as fighting? That actually sounds about right. Then again i've spent 400 hours on FFX-2 and have no concept of time :eek:

I almost believed this pic (circulating GameFAQ's) was real. I found out just after posting that it was a fake :(

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone know if Wii graphics of this game will be different from ps2? Also, are they adding anything else to the Wii version then the ps2 version? 2v2 at the same time?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
It seems believable to me, Some DB + all of Z + most of GT + movies in a mode where you spend time flying round earth, visiting cities and talking to people as well as fighting? That actually sounds about right. Then again i've spent 400 hours on FFX-2 and have no concept of time :eek:

I almost believed this pic (circulating GameFAQ's) was real. I found out just after posting that it was a fake :(
If you mean Nova Shenron, then yeah, that looks too good to be cell shading, especially since you can see Tapion isn't nearly that well done. Easily Photoshopped in. They did a nice job with the scouter "avatar" tho.

Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
Anyone know if Wii graphics of this game will be different from ps2? Also, are they adding anything else to the Wii version then the ps2 version? 2v2 at the same time?
At this time-- the Wii version is rather a mystery. There will surely be a few touch ups here and there that pushes it slightly above the Playstation 2 version in terms of graphics-- but as far as thing like online play or more 2v2 at the same time, i wouldn't count on it, though it was expected earlier.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like that tag battles aren't just limited to 2v2. I can see where 2v1 would have advantages in Story Mode.

Best answers
I remember when it was said that the battles can go up to 5 vs 5. They don't seem to be mentioning it alot in the latest previews and articles though. I would love to be brolly and smash 5 other z-fighters in a 5 on 1, or even Goku and Vegeta vs Metal Cooler in a 2 on 1, though i can see that's already possible. I just hope the 5 on 5 is a fact and all.

Also, i kinda forgot, but was it noted that our kick and punch buttons were seprate this time around or is fighting still only 1 button overall ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're seperate buttons with shared usage. Square is punch, and Triangle is ki blast, but pressing triangle directly after square is kick.

I don't recall any mention of 5v5, but I agree it would own. Goku, Gohan, Gotenks, Vegeta and Tapion vs. Hildegarn >=D

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Official boxart:

Gamespot preview:

Put up your dukes and get ready for our first look at the next Dragon Ball Z game.

If there's one thing the Dragon Ball Z universe has no lack of, it's content. With hundreds of characters streaming forth from the manga, anime, and film DBZ properties, the world contains a wealth of material from which to draw when developing a video game. The first game in the DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi series found a decent balance between interesting gameplay mechanics and the massive Dragon Ball Z roster, and based on our first look at a recent Atari press event, Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is upping the ante considerably for the second game in the series.

The first place to start, of course, is the roster of otherworldly fighters that will be featured in the game. Whereas the original Budokai Tenkaichi featured around 50 playable characters, the second game is upping the number to 70. What's more, characters will each have multiple forms they can transform into--Goku, for example, can switch into two separate forms of his alter-ego Super Sayain. Also, because you will have some ability to customize your characters, the total amount of selectable characters comes out to somewhere in the neighborhood of 120, quite a step up from the last game.

The variety isn't limited to the characters, either. The fighting environments have been upgraded--they are larger than in the first game, for one, and they feature a number of destructible items such as boulders and buildings, which can be broken apart during combat. One particularly devastating supernova attack can actually destroy the planet you are fighting on, transforming the fighting environment from a lush and green field to a stark and desolate wasteland.

The backgrounds in BT 2 aren't just bigger and more interactive; they look different, as well. The development team behind the game has done away with the cel-shaded environments from the first game and created more photo-realistic levels this time around. One level we saw, Dying Namek, showed a mountainous, heat-blasted landscape with craggy mountains and blasting volcanoes. It's certainly a departure from the animation-inspired levels of the last game, but the contrast between the cartoon characters and the more realistic-looking environments makes for a nice switch.

Fighting in Budokai Tenkaichi 2 still plays similarly to last year's game--you still mix things up between close-quarters strikes and long-distance energy blasts, and the players have the ability to fly all around the environments. The camera angle, much criticized in the previous game, has improved substantially, resulting in a much more flexible camera that rarely seems to get in the way of the action and still lets you see everything you need to see. A number of new moves and combos will also be packed into the game, including a particularly cool teleportation combo that lets you sock your opponent a few times, toss him into the air, then teleport behind him and continue the onslaught. The ability to transform to a new form in the middle of the battle is another cool addition. What you change into will have an effect on how you fight--one character's transformation into a giant fighting ape, for example, meant that he was slower and less agile than in his original form, but his attacks were much more powerful.

Another important addition to the fighting in BT 2 is the introduction of tag-team mechanics. Whether fighting with two fighters against one opponent or engaging in two-on-two battles, you'll be able to tag in your partner at any given time to keep dealing the pain to your foe. In addition to tagging in and out, characters can combine their powers into a fusion fighter who is more powerful than either of the original characters.

Budokai Tenkaichi 2 will feature a story mode that is played significantly different from that found in the original game. Instead of a mostly linear progression, BT 2's story mode--known as dragon adventure mode--plays more like a role-playing game, letting players choose from several missions on a world map to move the story forward. This flexibility lets you choose when you wish to move to the next crucial plot point or simply spend some time leveling the characters in your party by traveling to other points on the map and taking on opponents. In this mode, you'll be able to engage in minigames, interact with folks found in the many cities, or find customized items that you can buy and sell with money you earn from winning battles. In all, dragon adventure mode will feature approximately 60 hours of gameplay.

Other modes in the game include the obligatory training mode; multiple battle modes, including ultimate battle (which is a ranked battle system that has you climbing a ladder from the bottom to the top by beating foes), tag battle, and dragon battle; the Evolution Z feature, which lets you customize your character; the dragon library, which is an encyclopedia of the DBZ universe; an item shop; and a data-center option. By saving your customized characters in the data center, you receive a password that you can then upload and share with friends so that they can make the exact same customized character, if they wish.

While we only got our hands on the PlayStation 2 version of the game at Atari's press event, we did see a video of the Nintendo Wii version of the game in action. While the content will be very similar to that found on the PS2, the controls will understandably be considerably different. The nunchaku controller is used to move your character, while the traditional Wii controller is used for attacking and defending. As you might expect, you can use the Wii's motion-sensing capabilities to great effect in the game.

The way you move your hands will determine which special attacks and combo moves your character uses. Using both hands in a striking motion, for example, will let Goku pull off his Kamehameha energy attack. Similarly, if a character is armed with a sword, using slashing motions with the Wii controller will result in slashing attacks onscreen. There's a bit of a delay between the movement and its execution on the screen, but for the most part, it seems to work pretty well. The developer seems aware of the amount of exertion involved when using the Wii controller for long stretches and was quick to point out that if you get tired blasting foes with energy attacks using the Wii controller, you can always plug in a GameCube controller to your Wii, sit back and relax, and devastate your enemies with just your fingers and thumbs.

In all, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 seems to be a worthy sequel to the original game--one that is bringing more to the series not just in terms of sheer content but also in terms of gameplay. We'll have more on this game in the future, so stay tuned.
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/dragonballzbudokaitenkaichi2/news.html?sid=6155644

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"In addition to tagging in and out, characters can combine their powers into a fusion fighter who is more powerful than either of the original characters."

That sentence made me pee a little. I can not wait to form Brillin or Chaoztu Jr.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Somehow I doubt it works with ANY tag team combination. The cd wouldn't be able to hold the number of models alone! Its probably just for characters similar to each other, or who already have a known fusion. Hmm...I wonder if Kibito is a playable character...?

Best answers
Here's an update for us Wii version buyers.

The Wii version, in development along side the PlayStation 2 edition, will take advantage of both the enhanced visual capabilities as well as the unique control functions of the upcoming system. Though Atari did not have a Wii version at the event to test, the developers brought along video of a team member playing with the controller to half-explain how things will work for Nintendo's upcoming console. For the Wii version of Budokai Tenkaichi 2, players will command their on-screen fighters with the nunchuk and Wii-mode combination Movement of their character will be handled by the analog stick on the nunchuck, and punches and kicks pulled off by the buttons on the pointer device. The game will recognize movement of both handheld units and respond accordingly; thrusting the nunchuck downwards like a drumstick will perform the character's dash move, for example. Most importantly, players will pull off character-specific special attacks by holding the two units in certain positions to charge and fire them off. Some maneuvers require players to hold the controllers up high, some down low, and some tucked into their chest as if pulling off a fireball move.

The developers did note to us that they've received tester feedback that using the Wii's controller may tire players. For this reason the Wii version will also have the ability for players to plug in GameCube controllers to control the game the more "traditional" way.

Structure and design-wise the PlayStation 2 and Wii versions will be virtually identical and feature the same levels, characters, story modes, and unlockables.

Stay tuned for more information on Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2. -- IGN
And some other highlights from the IGN preview.

Also, you can play the entire game in the original Japanese. This is true of both text and audio.

The character customize option, titled Evolution Z, lets you modify combos and techniques, as well as power.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Modify combos? I wonder to what extent?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
gamecube controllers blow.
They would be decent if they hadn't put grooves into the main joystick. I remember playing Budokai 1 on Gamecube. I would almost cry everytime I was locked into a melee struggle because I would burn the palm of my hand from the friction. I remember I got all sorts of blisters and shed plenty of skin on my hand.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I'm glad they put Pan in the game, but why does she call for help from Giru for an attack? That makes her seem like a "weak" character. In the limited episodes I've seen with her in them, she kicks ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom