Dragon Ball Live Action Trailer

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That had better just be a bad first-look trailer, because otherwise, it looks entirely like that fighting got pussified. If there's little to no flying, it's fine, but I want to see ki attacks, and annihilated ****, not combat taken from Crouching Tiger; Hidden Dragon. The scale needs to get a lot bigger. There needs to be at least ONE Kamehameha in this movie. And since I really want to see a Saiyan and Frieza saga, they'd better not tank this and then get cancelled. It's mindless violence, how can they POSSIBLY **** this up?
for mindless violence they would need a director who not only doesn't know how to write a script (which they have), but one who knows how to write a script KNOWING it's bad. (which they don't have, cos this director thinks it's good.)

they would also need one of:
arnie
van damme
stalone
chuck norris
jet li
dulph longren.

since those are the only actors that ever managed to carry the "mindless violence" films any good.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yamcha is blond. The only same thing about Rochi is the t-shirt. Piccolo not green. Bulma has dark hair. Goku has no tail. It doesnt seem to have any humor like in the series. Rochi didnt train goku to fight piccolo in the series. Bulma should be using like a big robot and not dual gun. Piccolo looks like a vampire that came out from buffy the vampire slayer. Clothes are lame. That ball is not close to be a dragon ball. Goku saying "im not ready for this" ??, Goku wouldnt even think about if he was ready or not. this movie is ready to go to the garbage as soon as is comes out.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yamcha is blond. The only same thing about Rochi is the t-shirt. Piccolo not green. Bulma has dark hair. Goku has no tail. It doesnt seem to have any humor like in the series. Rochi didnt train goku to fight piccolo in the series. Bulma should be using like a big robot and not dual gun. Piccolo looks like a vampire that came out from buffy the vampire slayer. Clothes are lame. That ball is not close to be a dragon ball. Goku saying "im not ready for this" ??, Goku wouldnt even think about if he was ready or not. this movie is ready to go to the garbage as soon as is comes out.
i couldn't have said it better myself!
True; sadly....:]

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you guys are being way too picky, way too critical and it feels like you WANT it to bomb.

Think for a second...

Do you really want movie-Roshi to be a lecherous, scrawny old man?

Does it matter if Piccolo is green or not? And like I said before, this is probably old and aged Piccolo.

No character other than Bulma and her father has blue hair in the series. In live action, wouldn't it seem corny to see her actor with blue hair dye?

Bulma never used any kind of combat robot, and she DID have a pistol at one point.

As I can see the only real difference Piccolo has aside from the lack of green is a more armored looking suit (which still sorta' reminds me of his black King Piccolo outfit) and lack of antennae (and do you REALLY want to see this guy with antennae?)

The clothes are accurate as far as I can tell. I don't know what YOU were expecting. I don't think you know either, frankly.

The Dragonball seen in the trailer looks better than the real one in my opinion, and I'm sure the stars are simply blocked out by the shine. The Dragonball is probably near another ball.

Goku doesn't seem to be the fight-happy kid he is in th series here. I think we'll see his lighter side and maybe he'll be a little goofier than shown in the trailer, but he's trying to avenge his grandfather, and even the REAL Goku would be serious in that case. Plus, remember the first martial arts tournament he was in? He and Krillin had no idea they could contend with the people there at first.

I myself didn't come in expecting an exact replica of the anime, and really I prefer a little artistic rethinking. I've got the series memorized, I've played so many games and gone through the whole storyline so many times that it grows dull. A fresh semi-rethinking feels great if you ask me. Just go see it. If you don't like it, you can refund your ticket, and you got to enjoy some popcorn and a soda for an hour and a half. Or who knows! You might actually LIKE IT, if you LET yourself.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you guys are being way too picky, way too critical and it feels like you WANT it to bomb.

Think for a second...

Do you really want movie-Roshi to be a lecherous, scrawny old man?

Does it matter if Piccolo is green or not? And like I said before, this is probably old and aged Piccolo.

No character other than Bulma and her father has blue hair in the series. In live action, wouldn't it seem corny to see her actor with blue hair dye?

Bulma never used any kind of combat robot, and she DID have a pistol at one point.

As I can see the only real difference Piccolo has aside from the lack of green is a more armored looking suit (which still sorta' reminds me of his black King Piccolo outfit) and lack of antennae (and do you REALLY want to see this guy with antennae?)

The clothes are accurate as far as I can tell. I don't know what YOU were expecting. I don't think you know either, frankly.

The Dragonball seen in the trailer looks better than the real one in my opinion, and I'm sure the stars are simply blocked out by the shine. The Dragonball is probably near another ball.

Goku doesn't seem to be the fight-happy kid he is in th series here. I think we'll see his lighter side and maybe he'll be a little goofier than shown in the trailer, but he's trying to avenge his grandfather, and even the REAL Goku would be serious in that case. Plus, remember the first martial arts tournament he was in? He and Krillin had no idea they could contend with the people there at first.

I myself didn't come in expecting an exact replica of the anime, and really I prefer a little artistic rethinking. I've got the series memorized, I've played so many games and gone through the whole storyline so many times that it grows dull. A fresh semi-rethinking feels great if you ask me. Just go see it. If you don't like it, you can refund your ticket, and you got to enjoy some popcorn and a soda for an hour and a half. Or who knows! You might actually LIKE IT, if you LET yourself.
There are two kinds of "artistic rethinking": The V for Vendetta variety, and the Double Dragon/ Super Mario Bros./ Street Fighter: The Movie variety. If you're honest, it's pretty clear this movie falls into the second category.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haven't seen Double Dragon or Street Fighter, but I kinda' enjoyed the Mario Brothers movie. I thought it was funny, if REALLY eccentric X]

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Funny, maybe. Eccentric, perhaps. Anything to do with the source material? Absolutely not. The other two were utter garbage, and I'm actually happy you didn't see them. No one deserves that kind of punishment.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude the thing is, dragonball is based on a fantasy world, how do you make a fantasy world movie? Usually with cartoons or 3D. If you´re going to make a real movie about 100 episodes of dragonball you must have tons of money to invest, and does not seem the case.

What I feel is what 99% of us feel, its the cartoon that I was almost born waching being completely destroyed by a capitalist guy - its only about geting money without giving some quality to the customers. Besides dragonball is almost unknown to the newest generations, and they are going to say that dragon ball is crappy after they see the movie.

Now if you want a good example of a movie based on cartoons I can point the TMNT "the last one", wich I think its awesome.

When I will see this movie, "if I ever see it" I wont remember dragonball at all :(

Last edited:
brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The main point is...

It looks like Crouching Buffy Tiger the Hidden Vampire Slayer Dragon... with an occasional CGI moment.

ALSO, PICCOLO IS NOT GREEN

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude the thing is, dragonball is based on a fantasy world, how do you make a fantasy world movie? Usually with cartoons or 3D. If you´re going to make a real movie about 100 episodes of dragonball you must have tons of money to invest, and does not seem the case.

What I feel is what 99% of us feel, its the cartoon that I was almost born waching being completely destroyed by a capitalist guy - its only about geting money without giving some quality to the customers. Besides dragonball is almost unknown to the newest generations, and they are going to say that dragon ball is crappy after they see the movie.

Now if you want a good example of a movie based on cartoons I can point the TMNT "the last one", wich I think its awesome.

When I will see this movie, "if I ever see it" I wont remember dragonball at all :(
The movie has a hundred million dollar budget. You don't think they have money?

Basically, you hate it because it's live action at all. The last TMNT movie you refer to was CGI, which I'm guessing was why you liked it. I myself think it was crap, but then that's regardless of whether it's 2d, 3d or live action. Mainly because I think the series is ridiculous.

I'm not even going to bother listing how many fantasy worlds have been successfully translated to live action. Why? Because most blockbuster films fit that category.

You see, you're attitude towards this is very purist elitist. I see it all the time, with people who ONLY like the original Japanese for the sake of it being the original. You ONLY want it animated because the original was animated. You don't want to see Dragonball with a spin, you want to see Dragonball, what you're familiar with, exactly the way it was. That's your prerogative, I suppose, but it's pretty closed-minded.

I seem to find people in this forum get a first impression and then create a black and white prejudice. Either it's descending from heaven on a silver chariot to ferry us all to the promised land, or it's eaten your children and deserves to be bashed in every way possible.

I came into this fully expecting and looking forward to ways the series would be interpreted. By default we all rely on the series as a stencil when anticipating it, but everyone's all hot and bothered now because instead it seems to be using it more as a guideline. I expected the more purist people here would cry "bastard" but I hadn't expected such unanimity in that opinion. Maybe it's the fact that I'm really not asking for very much in a Dragonball film. If I hear Justin Chatwin referred to as "Goku", I'll feel giddy just for that. I'll probably release endorphins when I hear the word "Kamehameha" in theaters. It really comes down to only a few necessities for me:

1: Energy attacks are strong, existant and VERY destructive.

2: Battles make use of the large environments they're portrayed in.

3: The majority of main characters are portrayed in some way shape or form.

4: The basic concepts of the series' Universe are properly translated.

I mean, I'm not even expecting there to be a Capsule Corporation. If there is, then great! More points toward the script writers! Y'see, if you come in with few or no expectations, you're not going to get your heart broken when you discover Bulma's hair isn't blue or that there are no talking animal creatures like Oolong or Puar or that Piccolo isn't ****ing green. I'm looking at it thinking, "If I was in charge, would I include this?" "Would I change this? "What are the advantages of having this?" "What is necessary?" "What is merely included for series faithfulness?"

And when I think like that, I can see sorta' where the director is going with this, and thinking that way I can always find a reason for a style choice.

Like, I can understand starting Goku as a regular guy and a teenager. I think having the star be a giddy kid the whole movie would make people take the film less seriously. Getting a child actor to bounce around with an extending stick sounds way too gimmicky when applied to live action.

And making Roshi a more serious character. Goku is starting out with very little combat experience and needs a master. Roshi would fill the position fine, but having an old bearded leacher who is essentially a goofy character in the serious setting of avenging Gohan would be too conflicting. I can however see Chow Yun Fat maybe playing a very mildly perverted side when not training.

I can go on and on explaining this stuff, but when I really analyze it I have to agree with their decisions. When put to live action and turned into a mainly action film, you have to decide on an ultimate tone and tone DOWN the more silly comical stuff.

And even when I look at the tamer fighting, as I said, being the very first film I won't fault them on starting out slower and then extending the characters' powers in the later films. It's good planning since DBZ's repetitive fighting hardly changes pace once characters can destroy planets.

I can understand not wanting to change too much, but I've already seen 13 hour long animated movies, I don't want to see an hour and a half of Budokai Tenkaichi's cinematic intro, and I really think live action is the format for a true "brought to the big screen" feeling.

You can be all butthurt and shout "bastardization" all you want, but I'm looking for something fresh anyway. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

EDIT:

And, this movie doesn't seem designed for new fans anyway, and all us original fans are still alive, so I'm pretty sure it's meant for us.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We don't like this movie, while you do. Congratulations! You have an opinion! And, would you look at that! So do we! Yet, regardless of one's opinion, this movie hasn't been released yet. Meaning your opinion is just as good as ours. So, by all means, drop this "holier than thou" mentality of yours.

Now, in regards to the film. It's being directed by James Wong, who's highest grossing film to date is Final Destination 3. While that film did do well in the box office, it's not the kind of film worthy of boasting about. Next, we have Ben Ramsey who's writing the screenplay. And looking at his resume on IMDB, it's not pretty, let alone reassuring. Now, we have the action choreographer... Wait, there isn't one attached...

You see where I'm going with this?

Last edited:
The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Listen man, if I want something fresh might as well see a movie like this that is not called dragonball. How would that be? How successfull would this movie be if it wasnt named dragonball? If you want something so fresh might as well call this movie NOT DRAGONBALL, because the only thing that makes me remember dragonball its that orange ball on Goku's hand. If they want to mess with dragonball they should do something according to dragonball NOT F*** IT UP.

Nice to know you are open minded, i myself like the original stuff the way it is, and if someone is going to change up the original stuff at least make it similar, or else why call it the original name? "so I gess im not open minded".

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It took them that long to come up with this piece of ****?

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Will Vegeta appear in the movie?

No, he will not. The story of Dragonball is focused primarily on the dragonballs themselves and the evil Namek, Lord Piccolo. The concept of Saiyans is not introduced into later in the series, in Dragonball Z. However, it is likely that Vegeta, along with Raditz and Nappa, may appear in possible sequels.

Is Piccolo going to be green?

Yes, he will only be the white-ish color during the beginning, after a bit he WILL be green. The reason for this is because Piccolo has lost his color due to his lack of sunlight by been imprisoned for 2000 years . Also earlier reports from James Marsters says that Piccolo will be green.

Rumor has it that when he wishes for youth he will regain his youthful green color.

Are there going to be sequels? Such as the beginning of Dragonball Z?

Rumor has it that James Wong and Justin Chatwin have both agreed to a three-film contract, but it that has never been confirmed nor denied.

According to www.dbthemovie.com , James Marsters has signed on for two more Dragonball movies , where he will probably play Piccolo Jr. And there has also been news of Justin Chatwin signing for two more movies.

Source http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098327/faq#.2.1.17

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hahaha!!!

I KNEW it! I absolutely KNEW it! I was SURE there would have to be a reason like that for it!

They really took the Namekian's plantlike metabolism seriously. That's just great :)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bison performed a Psycho Crusher in Street Fighter: The Movie. It didn't save the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom