Advanced Melee Steps 3,4,5 + Video

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to say I really like the animations but I just feel this slows down the game to much. If you took the whole ddr type deal and made that into the block/melee struggle than that would kick ass. I think straight up hit melee should be faster though and without pause because I think thats what popularized the betas and dbz for that fact. Keep the autopunching and the throw for sure but I just have something against the wait time. I realize the other person is trying to block the stuff but at this speed its like waiting for a turtle to cross the road compared to the current melee. I know this isn't a final edit and thats why I'm offering crits. Just please find a way to keep it fast.

Question to joe: In another post you said currently you can only wall jump when thrown at it. Could you add wall jump into the current melee so that we can still wall jump if we use the cvar to use the old melee?

Best answers
hey i love the new meelee system what else can u supprise us with esf well its gonna be grate what ever you do and i was wandering what is the music playing 2 the video plus while iam here what fast music do yo lot listen to?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
rikku-boy said:
hey i love the new meelee system what else can u supprise us with esf well its gonna be grate what ever you do and i was wandering what is the music playing 2 the video plus while iam here what fast music do yo lot listen to?
what the hell does the music we listen to got to do with the topic?

anyway, i've been wondering what happens if 2 people swoop at the sametime. I noticed that the guy that had to dodge was the guy standing still. So when 2 people swoop at each other, is there another type of melee struggle thing ?

Best answers
The only real question I have is will people have a chance to dodge/counter/block if you initiate melee from the side or back or if they don't have melee selected? Is there any way to send the guy flying back and into a wall after the combo is over like in the old melee? I still don't really understand the blocking and such. Is the only real diffference between a strong medium and weak attack the damage it does or are some easier to counter? The autopunching makes sense, but whats to keep the attacker from just autopunching till 12 hits then doing a combo? Okay maybe that was a lot of questions. The only real crits I have are that the animation looks really really good. maybe instead of coming close to someone and then autopunching them you could charge the swoop like before but while charging choose your combo then. The only problem with that is that it could get quite annoying to keep doing that every time you swoop. then again thats what binding keys is for. I'm rambling, gonna stop now

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think it will be the same like it is now in ESF
the one who´s ki bar is more fulle winns the swoop

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's great that you guys like this one more then the prepunches, hehe.
Okay, time for another big ass post...

Pain said:
do you press your keys to dodge/block when you see thr arrows coming up? or do you have to wait untill that person has actualy started the combo?
When you see the arrows comming up.

Velos said:
question though, at about 55 seconds into the vid when gohan and goku are fighting,once gohan finished his combo,goku went into a combo of his own,but i didnt see anything like at the begining of the melee sequence where you select what you want to do. did i see that right? or was that just two really well edited together clips?
That kind confused me too, maybe it is :)

Hitokiri said:
Of course the real question is: Does trunks use his sword in advanced melee?!
At the moment, he doesn't. After we get closer to completing the melee system we will add sword support, pretty fx, and all those goodies.
(Should have answered Evil_Trunk's and Lord Killmore's questions)

SailorAlea said:
It looks good, except the input for when the enemy is stunned seems to leave people awfully open for energy attacks from a third person, unless they're immune.
Always like to get positive replies from you ^_^. At the moment you can take outside damage, it hasn't been a problem since I don't usually play with more then 2 people on a server (while testing). I'm leaning twords invunerabilty or reduced damage.

Pain said:
also, if mouse2 does nothing while not in a fight at the moment, scrap the charge swoop and strap it on mouse2
Huh..?

Scorcher2k said:
I have to say I really like the animations but I just feel this slows down the game to much. If you took the whole ddr type deal and made that into the block/melee struggle than that would kick ass. I think straight up hit melee should be faster though and without pause because I think thats what popularized the betas and dbz for that fact. Keep the autopunching and the throw for sure but I just have something against the wait time. I realize the other person is trying to block the stuff but at this speed its like waiting for a turtle to cross the road compared to the current melee. I know this isn't a final edit and thats why I'm offering crits. Just please find a way to keep it fast.

Question to joe: In another post you said currently you can only wall jump when thrown at it. Could you add wall jump into the current melee so that we can still wall jump if we use the cvar to use the old melee?
First paragraph: We'll, we really can't make it faster. To keep it playable for 56kers, or people with over 100 ping, we can't have it realtime, or it will be impossible to block the attacks. We've been planning this melee system for months, and we really can't think of anything... Since you guys know most of the melee system, feel free to give suggestions.

Second paragraph: It's not really a walljump. HarSens is coding regular wall jumps. What happens is you get tossed at a wall, and you "stick" on it for about a second ( min/max stick times are CVARs, along with a turn on/off cvar ), and you press jump to "hop" off the wall, which takes a lil ki.

Jonesdaniel said:
I've been wondering what happens if 2 people swoop at the sametime. I noticed that the guy that had to dodge was the guy standing still. So when 2 people swoop at each other, is there another type of melee struggle thing ?
Like i said in my previous post, nothing at the moment. We want a melee struggle or something of that nature to happen.

Best answers
ummm what can i say apart from KUUUUUL cant wait till its rtelesed

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well let me get this straight: If I charge up a strong punch, my opponent has a full second or more while I am charging it to block it by just tapping that arrow key? If that's true (as it looked like in the video) I think you'd have to screw up pretty big or lag to get hit by any strong attacks. Actually it all looks kinda slow as far as the amount of time that defenders have to defend, even against weak attacks, which should be psycho hard to dodge considering the low damage they do! Any chance the defenders could get a little less time to deflect those blows while their opponent is charging them to increase the likelyhood of taking damage during melee?

My other question would be whether or not the defender gets the chance to charge up his own arrows while he is dodging or blocking his opponent's blows once the charging stage has finished. That's what it looks a little like to me.

Best answers
wow coooool :shocked:
that is soooo coool !!! can't wait to try it myself :D :D

by the way, i'm (finally) getting my own internet connection pretty soon, meaning i'll be joining the esf online battles! :D
and, what's the music in the video?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMG! *has a heart attack*

That is absolutely awesome, great job you guys! Keep up the good work.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well looks really good, just have some questions (one is Sonic Boyster's), what happens from behind? Do they take attacks automatically or what, and have you thought of giving each char a "special move" like say for example Cell can suck energy through his tail, so maybe if you get into a throw you can hit a button to get into a struggle where the person takes damage and Cell gains it etc. Obviously just rough buy you know ^_^!

Oh and when you said Huh? I think he meant that you could reassign a new button for charge, but I don't get why o_O

Best answers
wqots the music cus if i had that goin in the backfground while doing combos ill b doing them better

Best answers
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HELP!!!!!!! I can't get the VIDEOS to work!!!! What do you have to use to play them????????????????????

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pcjoe said:
Well, ATM secondary fire does nothing..
i meant that if secondary fire doesnt do anything right now, that we could get rid of 'charging swoop' and just have secondary fire be the swoop.

Best answers
THE VIDEO'S DON'T WORK FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!! *cries* I WAN'T TO SEE THEM, WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO USE TO PLAY THEM??? IT JUST PLAYS THE SOUND AND I DON'T SEE ANYTHING, IT SAYS ERROR OR SOMETHING.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Calm down buddy, heh. Download the divx codec from http://www.divx.com/
Pain - We don't want to have it swoop instantly because the new melee system isnt about swooping around in circles trying to chase the guy.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i use windows RealOne player, works fine
that music is quit catching, i would like to know the name of it too, i already send a message to MastaSurf about the music, so when i know i will post the name etc.,.,.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pcjoe said:
Calm down buddy, heh. Download the divx codec from http://www.divx.com/
Pain - We don't want to have it swoop instantly because the new melee system isnt about swooping around in circles trying to chase the guy.
And it will make it hard to swoop from behind, btw what about my questions o_O? To dl the video right click on the link, save target as and then play with divx :)

Best answers
I THINK ITS GOING TO KICK ASS AND WHIT THIS MOVIE ESF DEFENITLY IS GOING TO BE THE MOD OF THE ETERNITY :D ANYWAY IT COULD BE A BIT MORE FASTER AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO WALLJUMP WHILE JUST FLYING ORE WALKING OTHERWISE YOU CAN ONLY DO IT WILE BEING THROWING AGAINST THE WALL.... THAT DOESNT MAKE SENCE. IMPROVE THAT.....

- ESF ROX

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
is it possible to charge a swoop and tele at the same time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom