1.3 = Not what you expected?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The fun fact is, whenever I say what I think is wrong about it and what should be changed to make the game more fun for ME I'm flamed for not being positive enough. But that's of course not unusual here.
basically when we said we're releasing the unfinished product, that's what it is.. in your replies, it seems as this is what esf 1.3 is all about, this is where it ends; however that is not the case

there are many design documents, such as advance melee, which will utilize the new dashing system. please do read them and see how it will all fit in

the previous betas, most of the skilled players focused on simple melee, and we didnt want to have the game be a "simple melee only" kinda game.. we wanted it to be a balance between simple, advanced, and beams

go make any rants about the game, but please do tell how to change and WHY it would make it better.. also keep in mind the new design documents and how they plan to be implemented, plus our goals that we want to achieve with making gameplay varied enough

Best answers
I've read the design documents, Personally I find it hard to come up with fixes, or suggestions for a system I've never used, I mean, I probably could come up with some Ideas if I racked my brains, but Its hard to imagine implimenting or tweaking features for something thats still at the drawing board.

That atleast is my excuse for not having alot of Ideas.

Best answers
As soon as I started playing the open beta I thought, O yeah this is not very good, I think Ill go play 1.2, but after playing the game for a bit, I have to say the beta is holding up very good. I find with the changes that phobias made to the test server (swoop speed) definitely made the game more playable.

I enjoy the swoop/dash system much more then 1.2. I think that transformation animations need to be implemented (of course I know its still a beta and these will be added later), as well as the new advanced melee system. I have total faith in the team to bring about the next version, as for the wait period, I admit it IS disappointing, but with all this waiting it will be more fun once the real version is out.

🌠 Staff
Best answers
I think that transformation animations need to be implemented
To reply to this part of your post, yes, they need to be done. But what Dt had in mind for those requires Joes FX script to a large extent, which also means Joe needs to finish it =p.
So we could animate it, but what would be the point just throwin the animation in there without the fun fx from joes system.

At any rate, whenever Joes system is done in the next few weeks means the transformation animations will be worked on moreso. Till then enjoy what you got =P

And from what ive been told by both Joe and DT, the way the system will allow the gfx to play during the animation and the way in which DT to choose what part of the animation skeleton to play the effect on, We can assure you that when thats done itll be way too fancy for one to imagine <<. DT has all these crazy ideas for transformations >< .

Discord Member
Best answers
Correct me if im wrong.......But did Joes FX script worked for a while???
I remmember some shots and that video with freeza krilin and trunks :)

Oldtimer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
It's funny...I keep seeing all these people *****in and whinin about "omg, dash is not stoppable". But it is. Bug or no bug, you can stop a dash by ramming the TURBO button (SHIFT), or by using powerup (E).

I have absolutely no problems whatsoever with the new movement system...

Best answers
Only thing I didnt like before, might help a bit would be the ability to glide (pressing f lets you glide just after you swoop, like in 1.2)

I can live without it though ^^

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's funny...I keep seeing all these people *****in and whinin about "omg, dash is not stoppable". But it is. Bug or no bug, you can stop a dash by ramming the TURBO button (SHIFT), or by using powerup (E).

I have absolutely no problems whatsoever with the new movement system...
Or pressing block. It also stops it.

@Destiny http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=68050

Just looking for once instead of complaining would help.

Best answers
It's hard for me to tell HOW to change things. I'm not a programmer or anything like that, I'm just a guy who enjoyed the fast gameplay of esf. So what I want changed to the current 1.3 version is all I can tell you.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Correct me if im wrong.......But did Joes FX script worked for a while???
I remmember some shots and that video with freeza krilin and trunks :)
There's no gui, but it can be done from commands, though if they're commands from within the game or from another program, I'm not certain :p And frankly, I think Joe's the only one who'd be able to make enough sense of it to do it anyway :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's hard for me to tell HOW to change things. I'm not a programmer or anything like that, I'm just a guy who enjoyed the fast gameplay of esf. So what I want changed to the current 1.3 version is all I can tell you.
Solutions for the problems are what jobs are. Actualy implementing them is the teams, so don't worry about not having coding experience or what you strictly know of as "possible" for the game or half life. Just be creative and the rest will work itself out

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Patience is the key here. It must have been like this in the alpha days.

ESF 1.3 open source was amazing in my opinion, I can't wait (but will) for the next release. Just wait, the ESF team will owe you trousers for the finished 1.3!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A team of the whole frigging ESF community working on 1 single model for 2 1/2 years and they still aren't finished.

Do the math.
But the team are more like close(r) friends and know actually how to work with eachother. We as the community had a hard time finding animators for a long while for example. So you comparing the community project with 1.3 is just wrong.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not defending Spunky's oppinion here. Just because the melee system and FX system and various other things aren't currently in this open beta, doesn't mean they don't exist. Why insert a piece of coding for a new melee system when you can't use it yet? It may be near completion for all we know, but unusable because some vital pieces of coding are still missing. For all we know, all the transformations are already done and coded in, but are not used yet because the models are not done yet. And of course, you don't think the team actually spent 2,5 years on this game do you? The team has lives, and can't work at all times on this game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But the team are more like close(r) friends and know actually how to work with eachother. We as the community had a hard time finding animators for a long while for example. So you comparing the community project with 1.3 is just wrong.
j00 guys are all newbs!!!!!!!

Seriously though, on average, we probably spend maybe a week doing ESF work in a month, with probly 15-20 hours of solid work in that week. So, in 2.5 years we have 130 weeks, given four weeks a month and only one actually working in we have about 32.5 weeks, and in those weeks we work 15-20 hours so we basically have only worked about 20 solid days on this project. Not 2.5 years. Remember, this is just a hobby of ours, we still gotta pay the bills and the gals to keep ourselves happy.

And for 20 days of work? I'd say 1.3 is a damn good achievement. But having said that, we are devoting alot more of our time to this mod now that it is out in the open and you guys are giving us all this feedback. It gets kinda stale and hard to work on something without much motivation. So having this inflow of new ideas and people we are actually able to interact with does motivate us quite a bit. So expect much bigger updates as we go along.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Remember, this is just a hobby of ours, we still gotta pay the bills and the gals to keep ourselves happy.
....REVELATION!

The amount of work you've done in 20 days is actually damn impressive. But I think I've spent more than 20 days playing with my cat within these past 2.5 years and I'm (as in me, no one else) paying my way through college so...I really love my cat guys.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
....REVELATION!

But I think I've spent more than 20 days playing with my cat within these past 2.5 years and I'm (as in me, no one else) paying my way through college so...I really love my cat guys.
Uhm... Okay? Thank you for your wonderful contribution, and I'm sure the ESF Team will graciously include your cat as a playable character in their next release...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, you're quite welcome. I have no problem with them not doing x amount of work over 2.5 years, but don't sugarcoat it and say "But gee golly, we sure did a ****load of work in those 20 days ahyuck".

Spunky, I know you've done a lot for the team, and so it's ok to, you know, an ass (oh wait. you haven't and so it's not), but try to read a little further into posts before you become super zealot # 34343431123.

As for my cat being in ESF, I think it would be a little unfair. Everyone would choose to play as my cat, and the other models would go to waste because my cat is so overpowered.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lmao. Kama, you've brought joy to my heart and renewed my faith in ESF for at least a good year. Not that it needed to be, but well done.

Oldtimer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Roflmao, someone pick me up from the floor...

I like 1.3 in it's entirety except for the couple of cvars that dont do what i want them to ;p

Found a couple of things too.

gohan's sound folder contains "Trans3" and "scream3". Now i am loving those (cant get them to work since the ssj2 trans uses the trans.wav from ssj transformation, but hey, its a beta.). Question is, why is it there? As an Alternate sound? Then why isn't it called trans2_alternate.wav like in previous releases?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom