Zeq 2 lite upcoming beta 2 teaser trailer + Congratz with ESF 1.3

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lockon system is very simple:

You have ground and air modus, If you both are on ground, you can lock each other by pressing G. If you are both in air, you can do the same.

When you are both locked in air. And person A presses f + c. Then he falls to the ground and from the moment he presses those buttons he will cancel the lock his opponent has on him. Same goes for if you are locked on the ground, and you press R to fly up, your opponent will lose lock.

Simple as that :D

Its the lockon itself that killed it for me and the same reason why i love ESF. The Lockon in ZEQ derives you of your of your freedom of movement and makes it impossible to take on more than 1 opponent at the same time. It forces you into a hard lockon to even allow you to use melee. Now its a solid system, but it only allows 1 on 1s.

Its what i like about ESF. You can fight 2 or even 3 people at the exact same time. No lockons, no restrictions. While youll probably be beaten with those odds, its still possible to actually win, where in ZEQ that possibility doesnt exist. Thats the price of going for a 2D fighter style system. Even if simplified.

Best answers
Its the lockon itself that killed it for me and the same reason why i love ESF. The Lockon in ZEQ derives you of your of your freedom of movement and makes it impossible to take on more than 1 opponent at the same time. It forces you into a hard lockon to even allow you to use melee. Now its a solid system, but it only allows 1 on 1s.

Its what i like about ESF. You can fight 2 or even 3 people at the exact same time. No lockons, no restrictions. While youll probably be beaten with those odds, its still possible to actually win, where in ZEQ that possibility doesnt exist. Thats the price of going for a 2D fighter style system. Even if simplified.
Well that's not entirely true. You can always break the lock on with pressing G again, and use your free aim to fight characters.

the lockon just makes that your attacks are more accurate towards the opponent
It's also possible to attack an opponent who is already fighting another guy

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Last i checked Lockon was necesairy to hit anything thats moving round.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Spirit Bomb is the easiest way to hit something if you ask me.

Once 3 or morepeople initiate in melee, the combat itself looks awkward.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And there is my problem. I like the freedom of ESF to hit whoever you want regardless of any lockons.
Oh there's no way I'm disagreeing with you on that. One of my favorite new features in 1.2 was how you were given the freedom to attack multiple opponents with simple melee rather than just 1 without having to switch targets.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that the hole reson why esf is beter then any other DBZ games it's because it offers you total freedom in combat , even tenkaichi 7 or whatever dosen't allow that , and it's allwase 1 vs 1 , remeber in DBZ when Goku was fighing Butter and Jaice at the same time that was fun as hell.

Maybe your new bata I will probably play for 10 more minits but that's that.

Best answers
I think that the hole reson why esf is beter then any other DBZ games it's because it offers you total freedom in combat , even tenkaichi 7 or whatever dosen't allow that , and it's allwase 1 vs 1 , remeber in DBZ when Goku was fighing Butter and Jaice at the same time that was fun as hell.

Maybe your new bata I will probably play for 10 more minits but that's that.
Don't forget that ESF is already going on for a decade. Zeq2 lite has just been made..

So really useless to compare cause our pb1 is just for sandbox play only to let the player grasp the core mechanics of the game before game styles/modes are implemented.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't forget that ESF is already going on for a decade. Zeq2 lite has just been made..

So really useless to compare cause our pb1 is just for sandbox play only to let the player grasp the core mechanics of the game before game styles/modes are implemented.
Zeq2 has been around forever and a day. It got to the point where people became so frustrated with the lack of updates that Zeth came out and said it wasn't even really a game, and wasn't going to be released.

Best answers
Zeq2 has been around forever and a day. It got to the point where people became so frustrated with the lack of updates that Zeth came out and said it wasn't even really a game, and wasn't going to be released.
Zeq2 and zeq2 lite are 2 different projects

Zeq2: is an interactive anime research experience that used the Dragon Ball Z series as its standard base. The project was built on a passion for accuracy and mimicry towards anime concepts at a level unheard of in any interactive software in existence. Graphics and mechanics alike, even the most trivial details were preserved and escalated by unique, yet accurate methods.

On May 25th or thereabouts, the ZEQ2 site/forums went offline due to potential legal complications caused by a DMCA request allegedly filed by Funimation's legal team to our former webhost. This potentially could have escalated into a full blown project level Cease and Desist. To prevent a Cease & Desist scenerio, ZEQ2 removed all offending media, complied fully with the DMCA request, publically announced our discontinuation, and hovered in limbo for a short time while matters were discussed fully.

Zeq2 lite: in early April 2009, two of the orignal developers from the Quake III version of ZEQ2 decided to polish up what was left of the old project and release it so that years of development didn’t go to waste. We find ourselves here today with ZEQ2-lite, a less hardcore albeit quality-driven version of the original project.

ZEQ2-Lite is an open-sourced and mod expandable project based on a highly modified ioQuake3 engine foundation and features many true-to-reference DBZ visuals and mechanics. Additionally, there exists a custom from-scratch particle system as well an extended number of configuration files that can be used to control character skills (visually & mechanically), world particle effects, forms / transformations / tiers, music playlists, and other aspects. This attribute makes the project more than simply another DBZ modification as strong capabilities exist for user mod creation exists without need for actual programming.

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
One thing that is lacking on this game is that Raditz does only have 1 attack where in the anime He used more 2...But the game itself is nice...can't wait to see the new melee.

Best answers
ZEQ2 was started as a Quake 3 mod, and in 2005, it ended to be a Quake 3 standalone project (due to the source code of Quake 3 to be fully released as an open source project, through it, ioquake3 was born from it aswell). Then in 2006/2007, ZEQ2 was then split into ZEQ2 the Zios engine based, and the Quake 3 one became today's ZEQ2-Lite as we know. The Zios engine based ZEQ2 was put on hold for an indefinite time.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeq2 and zeq2 lite are 2 different projects

Zeq2: is an interactive anime research experience that used the Dragon Ball Z series as its standard base. The project was built on a passion for accuracy and mimicry towards anime concepts at a level unheard of in any interactive software in existence. Graphics and mechanics alike, even the most trivial details were preserved and escalated by unique, yet accurate methods.

On May 25th or thereabouts, the ZEQ2 site/forums went offline due to potential legal complications caused by a DMCA request allegedly filed by Funimation's legal team to our former webhost. This potentially could have escalated into a full blown project level Cease and Desist. To prevent a Cease & Desist scenerio, ZEQ2 removed all offending media, complied fully with the DMCA request, publically announced our discontinuation, and hovered in limbo for a short time while matters were discussed fully.

Zeq2 lite: in early April 2009, two of the orignal developers from the Quake III version of ZEQ2 decided to polish up what was left of the old project and release it so that years of development didn’t go to waste. We find ourselves here today with ZEQ2-lite, a less hardcore albeit quality-driven version of the original project.

ZEQ2-Lite is an open-sourced and mod expandable project based on a highly modified ioQuake3 engine foundation and features many true-to-reference DBZ visuals and mechanics. Additionally, there exists a custom from-scratch particle system as well an extended number of configuration files that can be used to control character skills (visually & mechanically), world particle effects, forms / transformations / tiers, music playlists, and other aspects. This attribute makes the project more than simply another DBZ modification as strong capabilities exist for user mod creation exists without need for actual programming.
Sales pitch aside, my point was Zeq2 lite is an extension of the original Zeq2 vision, and as such shouldn't be treated as an entirely different product but an evolution of a previously stalled project. It's been around. ESF has been around. It makes sense to compare the two, especially on the ESF forum.

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Just noticed this thread so I thought I would (once again) clarify several things.

There was never an announcement made that a release was not going to happen.

As for the 2nd comment, the 2007+ rendition of ZEQ2 wasn't a game simply because it was first and foremost an NPR research project focused on the actual rendering process of duplicating presentational elements rather than any kind of traditional mechanical/gameplay factor that constitutes what a game is.

Sales pitch aside, my point was Zeq2 lite is an extension of the original Zeq2 vision, and as such shouldn't be treated as an entirely different product but an evolution of a previously stalled project. It's been around. ESF has been around. It makes sense to compare the two, especially on the ESF forum.
There's a big difference in a sales pitch (which does not exist literally or figuratively in this case) and the brief history which was given.

ZEQ2-lite is by no means an extension of any kind of ZEQ2.

Aside from the fact that ZEQ2 had an actual development team whilst ZEQ2-lite is completely open-source fan/contribution-driven, there's the simple matter of intentions.

ZEQ2 was based on a custom engine and centralized around utilizing un-implemented unique NPR practices through SIGGRAPH and other research papers while ZEQ2-lite is based on Quake 3 and designed to be an exclusive DBZ game. To make this more clear, ZEQ2 was FAR more than just a DBZ project as it was a study to bring source media accuracy (in general) to interactive mediums. DBZ was simply used as a test-case for this due to it's prominence in anime fields, but any other non-photorealistic source could have been swapped in at any time.

Summarizing : The projects shared no media, hardly any developers, utilized different engines, aspired to different goals, were developed years apart, and had completely different managerial/development practices.

Granted, in retrospect, I agree that the naming definitely should have been more unique to help avoid confusion and to help segregate the project concepts, but this still doesn't remove the fact that the two projects are fundamentally different in goals and thus should be treated as such. If comparisons must be made (not really practical), they would need to be made between ZEQ2-lite and ESF rather than ZEQ2 and ESF since the former two are actually game-oriented.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom