Virtual Memory w/ Multiple Drives

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have use two harddrives. My SLAVE drive, which is 31.4 GB (completely empty) I would like to use mainly for virtual memory for my MASTER drive (149 GB MAX - 119 GB Free).

What should my virtual memory be set at for my SLAVE drive?

MASTER Drive VM Settings --> 672 MB (Min) | 1344 MB (Max)

Best answers
I use 2 page files at maximum settings. If you think you don't need the 1gig of space, then do max.

Best answers
How much RAM do you have in your machine? Whats your systems memory usage under a heavy load with your curent pagefile? Microsofts default pagefile size is usually 1.5 x RAM. However if you have or use programs that are very memory intensive you can always change it to whatever you like.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
512MB RAM, and my CPU usage is fairly low, even when running a server + playing in it.

Best answers
Windows default pagefile should be around 768 initial and 1536 max with 512, if you think you need more go for it, or like Tassadar said you could have the current pagefile on your primary and create one on your slave as well.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I've got a dual drive setup, two 120 gig maxtors. I only use one paging file, on my master drive, and it's set to 768 max and min because I have 512 ram. I don't feel windows should have to resize the file for me. :p

Best answers
Yeah I only have it set on my master as well, I doubt I will hardly ever need or use the 1024 pagefile i set.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pagefile increasing performance is a myth, true RAM upgrades are always better. In theory, WINXP doesn't need nearly that much. Remember, pagefile gets used first, so the larger you set it, the less likely you are to maximize use of that expensive and fast RAM that is made for that purpose.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And remember to set the min and max to the same size so it doesn't waste as much time swapping files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom