URGENT: Virus warning

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Everyone should take up and get this fix. Unless you have a hardware firewall (Specific router as firewall aka top of line) your at risk and probably have it. It hit last night at 6 and by 9 30% of the computers in the world had it. It will cause your comptuer to start a timed sequence to shut down. This worm throws itself around through tcp/ip so this is the only way to stop it.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

*this is the reason Scorched Earth is down if anyone is wondering. Mod feel free to move this to off topic if need be.*

Best answers
o **** lol. Epedemic had that. But he fixeded it. When i saw this thead i was bustin out laughing. So ill be sure to watch out for it. :yes:

Best answers
true... I had that last nite... it is good to send out this warning.. don't worry if you guys need help fixing it let me know becuz the secret is to unplug your cable modem and put the firewall on... after that plug the cable modem back in and download the Windows Updates!!!! DOWNLOAD it as fast as you can.. as soon as you log onto your comp go on IE and go to Tools > Windows update and download it quick... :]

I thought I had to format drive C:/ but that didn't even do the trick... so know I wiped my hardrive for no reason... :(

but hope you guys figure out this problem :]

Best answers
When dling the patch to fix it, how do I know if I should get XP 32 bit edition or 64 bit edition?

Best answers
You should also update your Windows 2K machines. They're also affected by the worm. Install the latest Critical Updates.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The university I attend sent an e-mail warning us and supplying us with the fix. That sure was nice of them. :smile:

K

Best answers
wat if ur runnin windows me will that affect it plus i wasnt on at 6:00pm yesterday do u guys still think i might have the virus though.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just wanted to know, how long had this virus been circulating?

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The virus started at 6 yesterday. It will not affect windows me, win9x, etc... It WILL affect win2k, win2k server, winxp.

K

Best answers
u sure right scorcher, cuz im runnin windows me so it wont affect me?

Best answers
The worm DOES NOT affect 9x/Me systems so you should have no worries.

K

Best answers
whew thats good but u guys r SURE it doesnt affect windows me?

Best answers
Heh thanks guys, im dl'in the patch right now, but that would be hell, my comp already had 10000's of spybot files and has been hacked and stuff, this would just add to the book. im still wondering why i am still trying to protect this pill of junk. ohh well, i just cant help to part with it :smile:

Best answers
ya i had this problem it was a ***** cause i had to make sure and download the right update as fast as possible cause otherwise the computer turns off... ummm i feel sorry for 56kers. Yeah but download all the updates but htere is one perticular one that will help out the most ill post the number of the update later when i find the piece of paper iwrote it on.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Glad I have a router with a firewall and a Adsl modem with firewall.

Don`t u just hate wurms/virussen.(Well I don`t I have norton anti-virus that update himself :D)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not a virus, it's an opening left in WindowXP and 2000, it's not something you "downloaded," it's that anyone who knew how to do it, could do it to any specific IP address.

I'm glad I downloaded the Critical Updates :/ because it happened to me, twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom