URGENT: Virus warning

Best answers
Grrr this thing is very persistent... I reformatted my comp and it's still here....... o_O I can't use the fix cuz i dont' got service pack 2 or higher... I downloaded service pack 4 but it's corrupt... *cries*

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Duece said:
some people are getting the idea that this problem is some sort of virus. IT IS NOT A VIRUS!!!
It works like that messanger thing does on win xp. Exept you cant turn this one off you have to download the CRITICAL UPDATE(823980) thats the exact one you need but after you fix it make sure to get them all just in case but for now get that one cause for me it was a ***** since i could barely download one before my system restarted hopefully that will help some of you
It is a virus. It is a worm. It infects your system through open ports using tcp/ip. Once you install the microsoft fix to keep it from propogating itself you need to run the removeal tool to get rid of the virus. This virus is dubbed the blaster virus and it is a virus.

Best answers
is anyone willing to offer a link to a WORKING service pack for me...? =\

this seems to be the only way i can talk to anyone on the internet, my AIM keeps freezing -_-

Best answers
k ppls. theres a progam that if it turns off youl get a shutdown timer. i think this "virus" just triggers this system progam to turn off then u get the shutdown timer. im no expert with comps :p so dot flame my @$$ off :D

Best answers
we all knew that much already =\ but how do u get rid of it once u install patch?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not a shutdown timer on all systems. Win9x can still run with the RPC service crashed, it just runs like crap. Basically, the worm finds an open port, sends a falsified HTTP header, and overflows the buffer, allowing code to be executed in the RPC. This allows the virus to copy itself in your machine. NT crashes, 2000 and XP give you a timer because the RPC was tampered with. If you have problems, change the RPC recovery to ignore untill you dl the patch from windows update. There is a patch for all versions of windows 9x and above. Just DL critical updates and allow the machine to install them. After that, set the RPC back to how it was. (You find the RPC in your services under computer management in 2000/XP, not sure about 9x)

After making your machine momentarily rape proof, it's time to make sure the virus doesn't spread elswhere. Find a virus scanner. I suggest Grisoft's AVG, it kicks ass, and it's free. It also makes very short work of this asshat worm. Make sure you dl a free firewall like zonealarm and prevent further infections as well. The worm is very active right now, so removing it without applying a firewall is useless, you'll be infected again in a few minutes.

Best answers
all i did wuz restore my computer back to the way it wuz last week. I got that option on my comp ^_^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I had this damn virus too ;( really ****ing annoying! ;(

Anyone who creates a virus and spreads it should BURN IN HELL! :devsmile:

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
lol, i got this virus five mins ago, and it shutdown my comp while i was looking at this thread! luck on that! i just turned on xp's firewall and its stopped it.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A Girl I know was telling me she got it 3 times, I'll direct her here once she gets back on. THanks for the helpful stuff guys but I think I'm updated, you said the patch came out in mid-june? Well would this patch come in with one of those popups that I get at the bottom right saying I have updates from microsoft ready too download? If so then I shouldn't have too worry right lol?

Once I heard about the virus I spent quite a few hours yesterday cleaning stuff out of my hardrive, defraging, scandisc, virusscanning [with my beloeved AVG one, I'm too cheap too get Nortan and this one rocks and tells you when it has updates], and I made sure my firewall is up and stuff.

Best answers
Its funny, you can all be happy for having Masturbation Edition and 98Suck edition too. I'm on XP, got nothin against 98, just once you use XP and go back its like going back to atari or something, cept no good games on atari.. well you know what I mean.
Anyway my friend got this worm because he was stupid enough not to follow my advice and update his WindowsXP to SP1 and keep up to date with all the fixes. The worm can infect itself in a UN-updated copy of XP in less than 20 minutes.
By the way norton updates itself daily and its well worth your money, unless you can get it the 'other' way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OH SNAP! You did _not_ just insult my OS!!!

Oh wait... I don't give a flying ****!

As if I don't hear enough bull**** about ME from other people "l33t in teh wayyyyzzz of teh b0x3n!!!!" Jesus. Who cares.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
egh... stupid worm... It first happened to me when I was on my mom's computer. It scared the hell outta me because it said that NT/Administration sent the command to shut down my system... Didn't know what to think, but then I went to my computer and ZoneAlarm told me that msblast wanted to access the internet. I figured that was it so I got curious and allowed it. then I saw my log fill up with outgoing packets sent to ip addresses on TCP port 135.

So anyways, I had this two days before any word of it was out so I've had to sit there and think of ways to deal with it until the fix was released... now I get to help my friends out with it.

Stupid worm...

edit:

here, check out http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html for further explanation on how it works. you can also get the fix for the worm if you've been infected and have already got the patch that covers up the hole it came in.

Best answers
Cucumba said:
It's not a shutdown timer on all systems. Win9x can still run with the RPC service crashed, it just runs like crap. Basically, the worm finds an open port, sends a falsified HTTP header, and overflows the buffer, allowing code to be executed in the RPC. This allows the virus to copy itself in your machine. NT crashes, 2000 and XP give you a timer because the RPC was tampered with. If you have problems, change the RPC recovery to ignore untill you dl the patch from windows update. There is a patch for all versions of windows 9x and above. Just DL critical updates and allow the machine to install them. After that, set the RPC back to how it was. (You find the RPC in your services under computer management in 2000/XP, not sure about 9x)

After making your machine momentarily rape proof, it's time to make sure the virus doesn't spread elswhere. Find a virus scanner. I suggest Grisoft's AVG, it kicks ass, and it's free. It also makes very short work of this asshat worm. Make sure you dl a free firewall like zonealarm and prevent further infections as well. The worm is very active right now, so removing it without applying a firewall is useless, you'll be infected again in a few minutes.
I tried that anti virus software as you sujested but it found nothing!!!
And i did have it it got so bad my computer wouldnt stay on for more than a minute before restarting. Did the security update fix it or what?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yesterday!? i mustve been one of the first victims then... mines started like 3 days ago... but i got it fixed.. its annoying as hell too because u only be on for like 1 minute and then it restarts... i bet terrorism is behind this <_< >_>... and mines was freaky.. i saw my start menu light come up by itself.. and the shut down was highlited and it just turned off by itself... like somone was doin it or maybe it was a ghost... >_> <_<

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
damm you bin laden!!!

nah, it would be a pro hax0r in his garage with his laptop thinking he's all hard,, its not that hard to make virus, but complex worms like there are somthing else. about 30 more virus are discovered every day >_>

i blame BILL GATES!! DAMM YOU!!! pfft.. he left the huge breach in windows, theres too many damm security screw ups with windows, here i come longhorn :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i agree.. lets kill Bill Gates... nah he might have security guards about a block long

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually this virus was very clever. Its also not from a middle eastern country...

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Duece said:
I tried that anti virus software as you sujested but it found nothing!!!
And i did have it it got so bad my computer wouldnt stay on for more than a minute before restarting. Did the security update fix it or what?
Get a better antivirus software suite. Grisoft's AVG and it's latest patch annihilated it in less than 10 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom