The 7,497th Annual ESF Tournament

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeo you may not remember but the 1 hit on the ground to give the guy a roll, turbo charge a genbeam and jump away before he can recover is nearly as deadly as hitting him 3 times on the ground.

And im not saying it isnt an oversight, but that should be fixed with 2 things:
1.) Instant recovery that costs stamina
2.) No more splash damage on beam jump
Grega, you may have forgotten that I've played this game for close to a decade. There is no scenario where a turbo gen beam, is going to result in the same amount of damage as getting hit into the ground or any surface 3 times (It's a hit, plus the extra damage from the surface 3 times), especially since after that third hit, you're going to get bombarded with ki blasts, anyway. Hell, even 1 or 2 ki blasts with turbo will do significant damage. And since we're talking about turbo, and since everyone and their mother scripts, go ahead and factor in the extra damage having turbo on does, combined with the 3 hits, and with the 3 surfaces you're hitting. Yeah, I'll take the gen beam every time.

If holding left mouse were worth a damn, it'd end a lot of surface bounces prematurely, giving you an opportunity to react and counter. There's nothing worse in a game than being unable to do anything other than watch as your character gets juggled. Ending splash damage on beam jump would mitigate some of it, but I wasn't a pussy so I didn't run away after I beamed you. I just shifted positions while the opponent regained his composure. Unless you intend to make gen beams useless by decreasing their power, increasing their charge time, both or some other crippling effect, it's going to happen.

Last edited:
Swag
🌈 Beta Tester
👮 Moderator
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I think the rules are quite balanced in both EU and US though.

In EU the third hit is cool enough as long as you can control it on the ground, wall and ceiling hits are unlimited and if you're lucky/good enough to pull it off (considering there's a specific way roof hits have to be done before they're allowed) you cannot just swoop up and down then it's a pretty well deserved amount of damage. Recovery will prevent it in 98% of all cases anyway, even the best of players and possible "scripters" couldn't pull it off just like that and had to get a lucky moment.

In US as Grega said there's a gen beam that makes up for the third hit, and I don't understand why you wanna limit wall/ceiling hits as they're so cool and makes you feel pretty good once you pull it off. If you're really able to do it and continue the combo then I don't see why you'd stop.

Both rules are accepted and are playing in the continent they're not from, from time to time.

Anyway back to the scripting case, my thoughts are exactly as Grega said but condensed. I don't mind scripts but people who're gonna brag about being good shouldn't script..

Also (I don't know if it's true) Revan told me that he doesn't script.

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Scripting was never allowed in US, and was always considered cheating, even in 2009, you can read basically every US server rules that popped up and it would say "No hacking, glitching/exploiting, scripting, etc". Europe was different though, it was still frowned upon by most, but you didn't get punished for scripting, which is probably part of the reason why Europe had so many more scripters.

Personally I don't see how scripting would not be considered cheating. You're having a far more easy way to move around, and do things that would normally take a few button presses in a single button, that's a big advantage.

Shadi said:
Doesn't allow, that's exploiting.

Alias is something they added intentionally.
There's really not much difference, you're using console commands to do something that is not intended to be done to the game by the developers. (ESF team did not intend for aliases to be used that way).

Swag
🌈 Beta Tester
👮 Moderator
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Scripting was never allowed in US, and was always considered cheating, even in 2009
In 2009 (late at least) I think Drew's learning zone was up and Kamehamefoo's server (and one more) iirc none of them cared about that and didn't kick/ban people for scripting.

Personally I don't see how scripting would not be considered cheating. You're having a far more easy way to move around, and do things that would normally take a few button presses in a single button, that's a big advantage.
Well I guess that's left for an opinion.

There's really not much difference, you're using console commands to do something that is not intended to be done to the game by the developers. (ESF team did not intend for aliases to be used that way).
The difference is with hacking you change the engine and its limits, changing variables and heck even the looks of maps/player animations. Gaining more HP, aiming for people.

The other is just, what? Pressing E+T because you're too lazy to do it yourself, preventing your fingers from double tapping? In my mind Ren, you were without a doubt the very best player US/Canada ever had in my time, from start to now I don't think anyone has surpassed your level. You know that with or without scripts SS DD WW is possible within a second, pretty much the same for scripters. You cannot do that much more with scripting, there was something some scripters (Arsen being on that list) could do making you do constant AA DD WW movements that looked like you were a snake, that's the only thing I have seen scripters being able to do that others cannot and it's completely useless. (Heck I bet with practice even that'd be possible)

If you have any videos or proofs of that gigantic advantage scripts give you I'd like to see it, I'm open but would like stone-solid evidence.

Last edited:
The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
It was always in the rules. I dont know about Kamehame's server, but Drew's definitely had it in the rules, every server I had had it in the rules, Gurbir's had it in the rules, every server Sub had, also had it in the rules.

Shadi said:
The difference is with hacking you change the engine and its limits, changing variables and heck even the looks of maps/player animations. Gaining more HP, aiming for people.
I was replying to your "exploiting" comment.

Shadi said:
The other is just, what? Pressing E+T because you're too lazy to do it yourself, preventing your fingers from double tapping? In my mind Ren, you were without a doubt the very best player US/Canada ever had in my time, from start to now I don't think anyone has surpassed your level. You know that with or without scripts SS DD WW is possible within a second, pretty much the same for scripters. You cannot do that much more with scripting, there was something some scripters (Arsen being on that list) could do making you do constant AA DD WW movements that looked like you were a snake, that's the only thing I have seen scripters being able to do that others cannot and it's completely useless. (Heck I bet with practice even that'd be possible)

If you have any videos or proofs of that gigantic advantage scripts give you I'd like to see it, I'm open but would like stone-solid evidence.
I don't need to give you videos or proofs, it's common sense. It's like me asking you to give proof that punching twice is harder than punching once.

If I was to swoop left, then chain forward, then teleswoop, it would take me a total of 7 key presses, whereas the scripter can do it in 3 while attaining much more smooth and consistent results. So basically a legit player has to put in over twice the amount of effort, while still having to worry about properly timing his key button presses, so that he doesn't jam. How you don't see that it's a big advantage is beyond me.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Wait a minute, I don't know exactly what scripting is, but by any chance is it simply changing the keybindings of certain abilities? If it is just that, how is does it give an advantage? I have Teleport bound to R and turbo bound to middle click, but that's just for convenience and the fact that my T, G and H keys are almost dead.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait a minute, I don't know exactly what scripting is, but by any chance is it simply changing the keybindings of certain abilities? If it is just that, how is does it give an advantage? I have Teleport bound to R and turbo bound to middle click, but that's just for convenience and the fact that my T, G and H keys are almost dead.
It's kinda like this.

Normally you would double tap to swoop forward. With a script you could just press it once.

In counter-strike we used to have scripts to Auto-buy guns for us so we didn't have to go to the buy menu.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But not scripts that fired 2 rounds instead of one. The only advantage auto-buy gives you is time.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A small fraction of a second of time once per round if you play on a server that doesn't force you to wait a second before you can move.

If you do play on such a server, it makes no difference at all competitively.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A small fraction of a second of time once per round if you play on a server that doesn't force you to wait a second before you can move.

If you do play on such a server, it makes no difference at all competitively.
Yea. Cal-I was originally no Buy time. Season 2 they introduced buy time because of people who used scripts like that.

Proud YouTuber
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Revan's video is the most trolling video I have ever seen in my freakin entire life...

Proud YouTuber
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Please don't relight the fuse on the troll bomb, DarVegetaESF.
Well, he cannot judge other people like that, I do whatever I want with my youtube channel either that is troll or not.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think the video is fake. Not only is this the type of thing that Revan would do, but you can tell that he actually is using a script in the video based on the fact that you can hear a swoop after one key press. Obtaining the script is a lot of trouble (and risk to his reputation) to go through for a stupid gag video.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Well, he cannot judge other people like that, I do whatever I want with my youtube channel either that is troll or not.
No, I'm talking about make Reading Rainbow annoyed, please just... don't. I've had enough trolling for one day. I really don't care what you do with your YT channel. All I care about is whether or not you stir up something that has already ended. Please, just... don't.

Proud YouTuber
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I believe that it is not fake as well, however it was funny that he showed only the keyboard Lol.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
So you're saying people have been playing ESF for almost 7,500 years?! That's Amazing! That's like... almost 9,000, years that is! That's like almost as old as The Bible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom