SWTOR Free to Play Tomorrow

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's the details and faq:

http://www.swtor.com/free
http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6449

I personally have good opinions about MMO microtransaction models. My favorite example was Exteel, before they shut that down.

There are a lot of limitations on the free accounts, but nothing that really prevents you from playing. Some of them are still pretty strange. For one, you only get 2 quickslot bars (raised from 1, thanks to the community) on your character. 2 character slots. I believe it's like a dollar per character slot or an extra quick slot bar, up to four bars.

You only get 5 warzones (pvp battlegrounds) and 3 Flashpoints (star wars dungeons) per week. That restriction is (temporarily?) lifted when you buy a certain amount.

Otherwise, I personally think it's a good game. A little WoW'ish but it does seperate itself decently at closer-to end-game. It's a little more physics based, though the physics aspects still causes problems here and there.

Just personally wondering if anyone who hasn't will give it a try now that it's free?

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The limitations are absurd. I don't like the game, but having understood the game mechanics, you're basically gimped to the point it won't be fun after the first few hours unless you buy.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Had a 3month subscription when it launched...its not that bad really. I find the quickbar limitations really absurd lol..

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This game is bad. I'd rather play Aion with its stupid limitations on EU server.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This game is bad. I'd rather play Aion with its stupid limitations on EU server.
It's fine if you don't like it but state it as an opinion instead of an absolute. It's not a bad game.

And yeah, I don't like the lack of quick slots but I can see the reasoning behind them. It's very cheap to unlock the 2 extra's, and permanent. What I have more of an issue with is the 2 character slot restriction. Each class on it's own has 2 Advanced Classes to choose between. For example, the Jedi Knight can become a Jedi Sentinel or a Jedi Guardian. That on it's own should justify 4 character slots.

I've had a sub for the most part of the year, and the operation boss fights are really worth it. The boss mechanics are intuitive, involved, and just generally well thought out with the rare "Tank 'n Spank" bosses being the exception. The big problem with the game thus far is the lack of real story content. You finish with your story lines and there's a real lack of end-game story afterwards (though some of the class stories are pretty good).

In an MMO, I want to see some of the major NPC's play an actual role. I'd like to see Satele Shan **** some shit up. But it's still only a year old, so that should be coming soon.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I played it and.... Ugh I just felt this game could have been way better. It felt exactly like WoW and played just like it.... I was quite displeased with this game.

Yea it had a few differences but in the long haul it was exactly like WoW.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
It being free to play I may play it again just to kill time.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
At some point of time I'll probably give it a try but I don't think I'll like the grind in such a game (not a big fan of SW)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, admittedly the grind in ToR is pretty rough. There's some exp boosts and such to get you through but, go figure, you have to grind for them.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Can you honestly name an MMO that doesn't involve grinding? I can't. Then again, I can probably name only 3 mmo's.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
At least SWTOR has a better reward for all that grinding.
You progress through an actual, well written story and well made cutscenes.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
At least SWTOR has a better reward for all that grinding.
You progress through an actual, well written story and well made cutscenes.
I find it unentertaining at all when MMOs involve some sort of a story. All the characters supposedly co-exist within the same world, them going through the very same scripted scenes make zero sense. From in-universe perspective, anyway. Fine for singleplayer, bullshit for multiplayer.
Unlike with singleplayer games, never I have cared for the "story" thing in any of the MMOs I have tried. Perhaps it's more of a role players' thing? As I'm more of a competetive one, when it comes to online gaming.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I find it unentertaining at all when MMOs involve some sort of a story. All the characters supposedly co-exist within the same world, them going through the very same scripted scenes make zero sense. From in-universe perspective, anyway. Fine for singleplayer, bullshit for multiplayer.
Unlike with singleplayer games, never I have cared for the "story" thing in any of the MMOs I have tried. Perhaps it's more of a role players' thing? As I'm more of a competetive one, when it comes to online gaming.
Yea pretty much this, and I'm still bitter this MMO took away any future KOTOR releases :(

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally preferred the story. It gave me a reason to push out another couple levels. It made it worth grinding to get that extra bit of story, for me. And some of the character stories are well written, and almost worthy of the KoToR3 content they were going for. But only almost.

I checked out the f2p options and they did a decent job on making subscribers head and shoulders above the rest on features. Alot of people seem to like the Cartel Market as well, so that'll do well. The only huge complaint they're getting is the 2 quick slot limitation, to the point that I think they may end up lifting it. Subscribers also get 2 extra quickslots, for a total of 6.

Personally, think it's a success and will get people into the game. The quickslots won't matter until about 35. I just -really- wish they would make saber combat more...interactive, I guess. I'd like to feel like I'm the one jumping and swinging it around. Hopefully they redo some of the combat in later patches, but otherwise I'm happy with the game.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally preferred the story.
I think that's exactly the reason why MMOs involve story at all. It's because of people who don't care about the in-universe logic. I mean... it's fine for a MMO to have a background story. It's illogical for players to go through the very same stories, though.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that's exactly the reason why MMOs involve story at all. It's because of people who don't care about the in-universe logic. I mean... it's fine for a MMO to have a background story. It's illogical for players to go through the very same stories, though.
Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean very same stories? Each class has it's own unique story-line to it and the endings all kinda merge together at level 50 so you're left with the continuing stories of upcoming raids and flashpoints. What is it that's illogical?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Every mmo will have a story to it, it's what the game is structured around. Just because most people don't connect quests together, much less read them past the objectives, doesn't mean that game doesnt have a story. You take the game for what it is. Swtor is no different. If you are a no story reader and just read objectives, then skip the cut scenes and quest dialogue and just do the objectives. THis will make it the same as every other mmo you like that you for some reason think doesn't have a story.

You do realize story wise, every character (sometimes seperated in race) is supposed to be the SAME hero in the story. when you raid, it's supposed to be you and your army. It's why everyone does the same favor for every npc. Not because they just have a constant issue about it. A story is always already written. when you read the first page, the last is already printed aswell. It's a ride you are supposed to enjoy, not question why you can't go another way. if you could make your own story then there would be no suprises. Everything would have went your way before you got to it.

Take a game for what it is.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean very same stories? Each class has it's own unique story-line to it and the endings all kinda merge together at level 50 so you're left with the continuing stories of upcoming raids and flashpoints. What is it that's illogical?
I believe I explained pretty well why it's illogical. Perhaps you should re-read it. And figure out what's in-universe perspective, in case you don't know.

Every mmo will have a story to it, it's what the game is structured around. Just because most people don't connect quests together, much less read them past the objectives, doesn't mean that game doesnt have a story. You take the game for what it is. Swtor is no different. If you are a no story reader and just read objectives, then skip the cut scenes and quest dialogue and just do the objectives. THis will make it the same as every other mmo you like that you for some reason think doesn't have a story.

You do realize story wise, every character (sometimes seperated in race) is supposed to be the SAME hero in the story. when you raid, it's supposed to be you and your army. It's why everyone does the same favor for every npc. Not because they just have a constant issue about it. A story is always already written. when you read the first page, the last is already printed aswell. It's a ride you are supposed to enjoy, not question why you can't go another way. if you could make your own story then there would be no suprises. Everything would have went your way before you got to it.

Take a game for what it is.
Not sure why are you even suggesting/explaining me anything. I'm fine with ignoring the broken in-universe logic, just that I don't appreciate its existence. Yes, I'm implying that it's avoidable, while keeping background story, quests, etc.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe I explained pretty well why it's illogical. Perhaps you should re-read it. And figure out what's in-universe perspective, in case you don't know.

Not sure why are you even suggesting/explaining me anything. I'm fine with ignoring the broken in-universe logic, just that I don't appreciate its existence. Yes, I'm implying that it's avoidable, while keeping background story, quests, etc.
I understand what you mean well enough, I just don't know what you're talking about with this broken logic conversation. If you can give an example or something...?

Are you talking about doing the same story-lines (i.e. Dungeons and Raids) over and over...? Or a multitude of people doing a raid and seeing the same boss?

Last edited:
NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I understand what you mean well enough, I just don't know what you're talking about with this broken logic conversation. If you can give an example or something...?

Are you talking about doing the same story-lines (i.e. Dungeons and Raids) over and over...? Or a multitude of people doing a raid and seeing the same boss?
The same story can't happen to more than one person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom