PROPOSAL - ESF Open Beta Distribution method

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Doctor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Well if i can say, If someone makes a Gigasize.com account. They allow any size upload upto 2.5gb in size and unlimited uploads and such. With highspeed downloads.

Best answers
@harsens:
So if i`m corrent a SVN for the files is oke... just there isn`t bandwidth avalible to put the SVN online.. if i can find a hosting company willing to setup a SVN account for this would that be oke with you? cause if it is i will start asking some hosting providers if they are willing to offer a svn. they most likely want to have something in return for it so adding a link to the in the afiliates list in the main page wouldn`t hurt right?

and if svn isn`t gonna be the thing for this but just one release now and incremental releases once every week you should atleast have a place where you can download with a normal speed without waiting stuff (no esf-world and hl2files though they are fine to just mirror)
Fine with me, we'll need about 500MB of disk space and we'll probably burn a lot of bandwith (I think we had >100,000 downloads of esf 1.2).

Best answers
Oke harsens i will do my best to find something for this gread community :)
i will keep you posted about the progress with pm`s.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FilePlanet is a good site to upload large files, though of course there's the need for an account and having to wait in line.

You could always ask VALVe if they can help, since they're supportive towards modifications.

Discord Member
Best answers
Especially the No.1 mod on hl1 :D
Well.....Uhm on what server is currently 1,2..........you could always use thate server...........
And i think Valve will offer help........afterall.......Most people on the forums bought hl 1 just cause of ESF.....atleast i did :)

Best answers
a suggestion to ALL people.
those uploads at rapidshar.e, megaupload or other upload service sites are just a quick and dirty solution.. not something i would like to suggest for this project!!

i think (my opinion) that this stuff must go on a sub server of esforces or another place but NOT a upload service place. those places are good for temporary solutions.. not for long terms.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well the updates ar temporery solutions evry update evry week it's really something

Best answers
yea, but it would be good to have the ability to go back a few updates incase something isn`t working in one version that worked in a previous version

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know, why not on ESF-World? We'll wait 20 minutes but so what? It's the best place for something like this. The later smaller updates could be direct, so as not to spam ESF-World, so to speak. This site has some webspace to host such small files, doesn't it?

@Shadow Fighter: I think you got the wrong thread, dude. -.-

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hl2files is superior to ESF-World. No waiting, fast speeds.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know, why not on ESF-World? We'll wait 20 minutes but so what? It's the best place for something like this. The later smaller updates could be direct, so as not to spam ESF-World, so to speak. This site has some webspace to host such small files, doesn't it?
The file host for ESF-World is terrible. The download speeds are pretty bad, but that may be because I live in the United States and that JustGamers (ESF-World's file host) is located in Germany.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hl2files is superior to ESF-World. No waiting, fast speeds.
Maybe you're right, but I'm from europe so I didn't notice a difference in speed. It's true that there's waiting, but it's worth it. But hey, I just got an idea. It's like this: Someone on the team puts ESF on a CD, goes to a local internet cafe, uploads it from there, since their speeds are much faster and you don't waste your own bandwidth. Problem solved. Oh, and try using 7Zip to compress the files. I hear it's good.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ermm Dan, the problem with bandwidth is that when they upload it to the esforces.com servers, if 100,000 people would download it, the website would go down. Uploading it from their own home, or from a local internet cafe won't change anything of the capacity of the servers.

ESF-World would suck for this, I do not feel like waiting 20 minutes for downloading the beta. Bittorrent is just the way to go. If you do not understand how to use it, we will teach you in a matter of minutes. As soon as a lot of people start seeding/uploading the game, you will easily reach speeds of 600+ kb/s. Something ESF-World would never be able to do, plus, you will not have any waiting times with bittorrent. And as a secondary direct host, HL2Files would be the best choice. There is absolutely no reason to chose EW over HL2files & Bittorrent, but there are a lot of reasons to chose HL2files & Bittorrent over EW. Problem solved.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, but I thought the SMALLER files, the later updates could be on the main site. Or on hosting sites. YouSendIt works.

Best answers
Guys, i`m in the progress of looking for a provider that is willing to provide a SVN server for this ... so actually my idea and what harsens had thought about it.. he just can`t realize it here because of the traffic and the svn itself.

i won`t keep you guys posted on the progress of this but i am keeping harsens updated with the latest news. so my idea is at this moment in the progress of coming true.. it`s just a mather of willingness of the hosts and advertising plays a big part in it aswell. and lets not forget the bandwidth.. the highest estimate is 15TB a month!! (that`s 15000 GB)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This sounds pretty cool, but do you have to download an extra program or something to download with this? Because I don't really like the idea to download a program just for ESF and never use it for anything else. Though if it is neccesary, I guess this could be used (I do however advise to also set up an torrent, not that hard, it's better to have more than one source to download from)

Best answers
it is cool and yes you will have to use a program to download from the svn just like you need a program to download from torrents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom