Pride's Config.cfg Fix: Adv. Menu Bugs (missing fx, mp3player, 24bit textures, etc.)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, it appears that it's not very widely known, but apparently Masta and the gang neglected the capability of making 1.2 able to write Cvar edits to it's config from in game. As a result, your config.cfg file removes all foreign lines every time you play or set any settings using the ingame menus. At least, this is my assessment of the situation, as edits of existing commands in the config.cfg file will stick, while added commands won't.

Some of you may have added several commands to your config.cfg file in order to solve issues such as the following:
  1. Missing Graphics Effects, such as transformations or auras
  2. No 24 bit texturing
  3. Your mp3 player not loading
People may have noticed, but setting these checkbox/dropdown settings in the ingame menus (24 Bit Textures, Mp3Player, 3D Rocks, Beam Quality and FX Quality) don't actually work. They reset themselves, because these lines are by default NOT included in the config.cfg file. If you add them manually, playing will erase them. If you check the boxes in the game, they will also be instantly erased.

Joe mentioned in another thread that this was an oopsie on their part. The mod can't add cvars or settings to the list; only edit the existing ones. Because these lines were not in it to begin with, they can't be added and setting the options in game by menu or console tries to add them to config.cfg, which cannot have them added. Thus your advanced menu goes all retarded.

Okay. Problem established. The solution, however, is very simple!

The config.cfg file has a command at the very end that automatically executes another file called "userconfig.cfg" which is by default not actually there. By opening up notepad and adding the commands you want to use, you can then save the file as file type all files and name it "userconfig.cfg"...throw that in your ESF folder under steamapps/[emailbull****here]/Half-Life, and the config.cfg file that can't save any edits will end and read the userconfig.cfg file, taking those settings in.

WARNING, USERS OF WinME or HIGHER:
It is common that machines by default have a "feature" whereby file extensions are not visible. Be wary of this, and disable the "Hide File Extensions" view option for your ESF folder (details pending--anyone want to post them? I know them but don't feel like going through the steps in thorough detail just yet). Otherwise you may end up like a friend of mine, who did everything right and still couldn't get the userconfig.cfg settings to load...because the file was actually named "userconfig.cfg.txt". Pay attention to the icon--it SHOULD NOT remain a notepad file/.txt icon. If it does, chances are you have made this common oopsie, which is easily fixable.

But wait, Pride, wait! We don't know the commands! We're but helpless babes in the face of all of this computeriffic horror!! Please, guide us with your great wisdom and incredibly charismatic wit!

...Oh, okay, you talked me into it.

Tonight, when I'm home from work (3.5 hours from now) I will post a link where you can all download MY userconfig.cfg file, which is customized already for maximum detail as best I could manage.

In case you don't want to wait that long, Small Fry, here's the five main commands I put into mine:

cl_hightextures "1"
For 24 bit textures.

cl_beamquality "0"
Beam quality. Yes, it's supposed to say 0. 0 is best, and then 1 is crappy, 2 is medium, and 3 is high.

cl_fxquality "3"
Obvious enough. Sets FX quality to high.

cl_mp3player "1"
This will activate your ingame mp3 player.

cl_3drocks "1"
This will tell ESF 1.2 to use 3D rock models instead of the sprite ones.

There are several other small commands I added (one for smoke after explosions, for instance), but this ought to be enough to get you going. The full commands and numbers are scattered around the board, and I had to write these from memory since I'm at work. So feel free to correct any of the commands or numbers.

Check back in this thread tonight for a link to my userconfig.cfg, and an updated/corrected list of commands to use in your own.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
An easy way to avoid double .3 extensions is to save as instead of save when you exit notepad. Choose all files *.* and your .3 extention (.cfg) will be the one that's saved.

Best answers
Just a quick explanation to users that are using ME and above for an O/S:
To remove the "Hiding Extentions" for the ESF folder, go to the ESF folder, click on Tools, then go down to folder options. In the window that appears, click on the "View" tab. Then search through the options until you find "Hide Extensions for known file types", uncheck the box.

I can't wait for your userconfig.cfg Pride, I found alot of the config changes you posted for 1.1 worked quite nicly for me. :)

Best answers
heres a good tip....

When using WinME and up, when you click save as, click where it says save as type, click the little down arrow and choose all files, then in file name type userconfig.cfg and there you go, you got your userconfig.cfg

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tsunami said:
heres a good tip....

When using WinME and up, when you click save as, click where it says save as type, click the little down arrow and choose all files, then in file name type userconfig.cfg and there you go, you got your userconfig.cfg
Erm, I said that.

Best answers
Thank you, Mein Fuhrer!..... err.. sir. I've been too confused to configure userconfigure.cfg.... or something. Nap time.

Best answers
thanks man. i was wondering why my settings always reset each time i start the game. also, wouldn't this work if you created an autoexec.cfg ?

Best answers
Thanks man, I'll be sure to try it out first thing tomorrow morning. I'm too tired to even play ESF right now, I've gotten about 2 hours of sleep in the last three days :p Yay me.

Best answers
thank you! One problem the beams are highest but the fx quality is just blank?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I haven't figured out yet why the FX quality is blank. Go into the advanced menu over and over again for some real fun. Hehe.

However, the effects ARE fully activated, since yesterday with these settings I transformed and saw everything just fine.

I WOULD feel a lot better about it if it weren't always changing, though. I think the bug is with the fact that the other setting is at "Best." I noticed setting both to high through the userconfig.cfg seems to make the odd disappearing setting problem less notable.

Best answers
thnx mate....i could never get the rocks AND the transFX to work @ the same time...now i can :D thnx alot :D

Best answers
:) I swear this will make your game work flawlessly if you put it in your half-life/esf directory this is an autoexec.cfg for steam it has 3d rocks mp3 player the highest of everthing!

AUTOEXEC.CFG

I swear to god it work! everything everytime it will always work!
and yes the fx quality is 2 becuase of an error in esf if you make it 3 it turns the option off so 2 is best! It works amazingly for me and everyone else i gave it to! You can do save target as or just copy the text!

Also if your having trouble starting a server this file edits the steam menu so when you start a lan game it gives you the options of maxplayers name password lan or internet, whatever you want, just extract it to your steam/half-life/esf folder (directory)

FILES!
:)

Best answers
Also if you dont feel like wasting time, make it read only so nothing can be changed after you manually edit the file :D

Best answers
why not the ESF guys make a patch to fix this as most likely 100% of the community is having this problem

Best answers
Brolly your autoexec.cfg is not the best everything. your beamquality is set to 0 WTF. set it to 3 man! theres a big difference. look at my screenshots in the above post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom