Nearly 11,800 dead from Earthquake in Southern Asia

Best answers
Eh, anyway. Death toll has risen to over 44,000. The World Health Organization has said that disease could double it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i guess its just natures way of telling us were out of control... of course i feel bad for everyone involved... but i remain a firm beleaver in both balance and science. natural disasters happen for a reason. and they dont just kill people. theres lots of animals too, and plants etc... but i dont see anything on the news about anything other than human casualties :S

Best answers
I just watched Euro News and the new Number of victims is over 100 000 dead people O_O .
This is crazy. I'm glad i'm not living near that coast :scared: .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, it's not over 100 000. Last I saw/heard was 59 000. They expected it to double cus of pollution of the water.

@Cuc I didn't mean to kill us all, I meant enough to destroy entire cities and all the people in it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A hurricane can do the same thing but it doesnt have the power of a nuke -_-.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Not every American is an idiot, just as I'm sure not every foreigner is a bigoted presumptous prick . . . though the loudest ones seem to make a bad case for the whole. Ironic, isn't it? Frankly, anti-american sentiment on the net makes me sick. Humans as a whole are flawed, and no country's hands are clean. I know you are only 13, but please, refrain from growing up with prejudice in your heart and chips on your shoulder. It subtracts from an otherwise bright human being.
Well-friggin'-said.

As for the wave... insane. The few videos they have really don't do it justice. 60,000+ dead, most likely far more, it's unimaginable. 500 mph waves, for crap's sake... a tsunami hasn't killed this many people for two and a half centuries.

Europeans desperately sought relatives missing from holidays in Southeast Asia — particularly Thailand, where bodies littered the once crowded beach resorts. Near the devastated Similan Beach and Spa Resort, where mostly German tourists were staying, a naked corpse hung suspended from a tree Tuesday as if crucified.
"Is this the fate that we had planned for? My darling, you were the only hope for me," cried one man for his dead girlfriend — his university sweetheart — as Buddhist monks held prayer nearby.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Magus said:
It's up to 80,000. This is horrible >_<
Make it 85.000. >_>

Just saw on update, man horrible and the number just keep rising >_<

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember their was a tsunami that happened a few years back, to a few asian(?) islands, I'm not positive though.

My friend is from Sri Lanka, and has family their, I hope they are okay.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
like i said... all everyone is concerned with is human deaths, and being glad that they werent there.... pretty selfish if you ask me.

yes its a tragedy, and yes its horrible. but it happened for a reason, and humans werent the only people who died. im sure there were countless animals and species of plant that are now either suffering in losses or are extinct...

but hay lets all worry about humans cos eveyone knows were the most important thing on earth :S

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Well, speaking as a human.. yeah. o_O I came to the conclusion long ago that, while I would on the whole prefer harmony, I'm going to save the human's before anything else. So please don't accuse anyone of being 'selfish' because they aren't also crying over the amount of birds, lizards, fish and mammals that were crushed out of life by the tsunami.

We're all humans here, naturally our first priority is with human life.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not really, as both a believer in science, and in nature, i have to say that humans are the most ****ed up species on the planet, and to be honest the place would be better off without 90% of us.

whether or not one of those is me, ill leave to nature to decide. but my point stands. people are no more than selfish beings, who most times do nothing but damage the planet either out of wanting to, or out of not wanting to actually do some work... "i dont wanna walk, so ill drive" that hurts the environment. "i feel stressed, so ill smoke a cigarette"..... i could go on and on...

things like this are just natures way of restoring balance.

Best answers
I can't say that I see nature as a being, in that it decides who should die and who should not. But if what your saying is true gir, than who is to say that the 80,000+ people that have died so far were anymore 'guilty' in doing things than you, or me are? For all we know, most of those people could have been ten times more 'innocent' than the average Joe.
It is said that most of the victims were children, and it is said that children are the most innocent in the human race. I don't think knocking off thousands of kids is gonna restore balance to anything really.

Anyway, it is said that the areas hit hardest wreek with corpses, and because of the massive amount of bodies, they have no choice but to put them in mass graves without confirming who they are. Most people on the news are saying that disease is going to hit harder than the tsunamis themselves.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gir, just by living in a house and eating food, you are killing quite a few organisms. Theres nothing wrong with trees or animals, but when you value them more than your own species, there is something wrong with you. Sure, humans arent perfect but neither is any other species on this planet. If you want to save the Earth, dont do anything. By driving a car, using a computer, or even using a pencil to write on paper, you are contributing to the destruction of the Earth.

With that said, screw the animals and the plants. I care more about humans, and so I'll only feel bad for the 85,000 humans lost in that disaster.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
humans = greedy, egotistical, do things for personal gain

animals = surviving.

point made. you cant say "oh were just surviving" can you say we would die without electricity? or cars, or alcohol, or cigarettes? no i dont think so. yeh im using electricity right now. but ill tell you something, any appliance in my house that can be powered so, is using solar panels. (not very expensive, you can get them from most good hardware stores).

all im trying to say is that humans arent all that great, and to the most extent, we do more harm than good to the planet as a whole. whereas i dont see tigers declaring war on one another, driving down the street cos its quicker, gorging themselves on more food than they need, or even indeed, killing more than they have to to survive....

so now tell me if the human race is so grand :S

Best answers
Humans didn't climb to the top of the food chain to get pwned by 'nature.' I never said that the human race was the perfect species, and like most cases from an outsider looking in, I think you might feel different if you had any family or friends involved in that disaster. Mourning the dead isn't limited to a humans, other animals mourn their dead in their own way. Animals try to protect their young, and so do we. It's only natural for humans to try to help other humans in situations like this, just like it is natural for animals to team up in dire situations (like being confronted by a predator).
Anyway, this is all going very much off-topic.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, um...animals arent concious the way we are. They survive solely on instinct, whereas humans learn to adapt. Obviously, people got tired of adapting to nature so we create what ever we want or need. Animals arent smart enough to do that, so they live today the way they did 200 years ago.

Animals do declare war on each other over territory. Ever seen 2 wolverines go head to head? Yeah, cute cuddly animals that want to rip each other to shreds.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The amount of dead will probably go over 100000. In cases like these you wish you had superpowers and stop those ****ed up disasters. I truly hope there will still be lot's of people showing up. Loosing a member of the family is tough, but loosing your whole family, is something that does not even occur in my worst nightmares.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Almighty_gir said:
humans = greedy, egotistical, do things for personal gain

animals = surviving.

point made. you cant say "oh were just surviving" can you say we would die without electricity? or cars, or alcohol, or cigarettes? no i dont think so. yeh im using electricity right now. but ill tell you something, any appliance in my house that can be powered so, is using solar panels. (not very expensive, you can get them from most good hardware stores).

all im trying to say is that humans arent all that great, and to the most extent, we do more harm than good to the planet as a whole. whereas i dont see tigers declaring war on one another, driving down the street cos its quicker, gorging themselves on more food than they need, or even indeed, killing more than they have to to survive....

so now tell me if the human race is so grand :S
Okay, so 20,000+ people are killed by a natural disaster, and we aren't suppose to feel sorry? Give me a break, would you rather us say "Man, I'm not sorry, hell I wish I had of been there so I could have drowned or been crushed! Hell, bring on the waves!"?

It is human nature to think and show our emotions, and how we feel. Other animals can not do this. Sure, some show some kinds of emotion. But none on the same level as a human, this is what makes us grand.

The fact we don't want to die is not greed.

Yes, we care about the animals whom perished, but to most humans they are not as important as a fellow man. Why should they be? We are the dominate species, and that sounds cruel, but the world is cruel.

As a man who doesn't believe in Faith, I don't agree with your "Everything happens for a reason" crap. But lets assume I do believe it, then couldn't I just say "Maybe we are mourning for the lost lives, and trying to help out as fast as possible for a reason." Oh right! We are doing that for a reason; to help save lives, and to help find ways to be ready for tsunamis of the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom