Nearly 11,800 dead from Earthquake in Southern Asia

Best answers
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - An earthquake of epic power struck deep beneath the Indian Ocean on Sunday, unleashing 20-foot tidal waves that ravaged coasts across thousands of miles and killed over 23,000 people. On Monday, legions of rescuers spread across Asia, searching for survivors and rushing aid to the hundreds of thousands injured or left homeless.

The death toll along the southern coast of Asia — and as far west as Somalia, on the African coast, where nine people were reported lost — steadily increased Monday as authorities sorted out a far-flung disaster caused by the 9.0-magnitude earthquake, strongest in 40 years and fourth-largest in a century.

More than one million people were driven from their homes in Indonesia alone, and rescuers there on Monday combed seaside villages for survivors. The Indian air force used helicopters to rush food and medicine to stricken seashore areas. And in Sri Lanka, 20,000 soldiers were deployed as rescuers.

Source: MSN

My condolences to anyone effected by this terrible tradgedy. Nature can be harsh. Hopefully countries around the world will provide aid and comfort to some of the victims. Some scientists said this earthquake effected the rotation of the Earth.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I heard about this on the news. The death toll was small at the time. I'd also like to offer my condolences to anyone who was affected by the quake.

Best answers
Ever seen that show that came on Abc i think it was, about 10.0? geese if that were to happen, wow. It seems to me that more and more things are happening around the world now and its getting worse.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
that truely is a shame. i heard there was also a tsunami in asia as well.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, i noticed, that on the news they say like 10,000. On the internet they say like 11,300. And now you say 11,800. Odd they are giving different numbers. But yes, i saw this on netscape. That's ALOT of people to die in such an accident. I feel very bad for their families, and everyone that lives there.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Death toll is at 23,000 this morning. Remember death toll numbers are usually low and climb during a disaster, since it's the number of confirmed dead and missing.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well there's a lot of unknown small coastal villages along those countries, many of them could simply have been washed out, the numbers are different because they're mostly just estimates.

Best answers
Furr said:
that truely is a shame. i heard there was also a tsunami in asia as well.
where do you think sri lanka is located ?
*buzzz* times up

the correct answer is asia !

and ya.. the death toll .. to us it seems like a number but if you think about it it's pretty harsh cuz it sure is alot !
in our village there are about 15.000 people.

so i can compare it to that. i sure do hope there wont be much more deaths

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The news where I am say there were 23,000 killed.

but this is a terrible, terrible event and my heart goes out to those affected by it.

May they never experience anything like it again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They weren't tidal waves =/ That's just silly to say. A Tsunami is hundreds of waves which gather up on eachother before they hit the land. Waves like these can become up to 100 meters tall. If a wave like this hits a city, you can be certain the death count will be over 10 000 =/ It has the power of a nuclear bomb when it first hits land as well.

Note, tidal waves are the foolish american way of saying Tsunami. Tsunami's have nothing to do with the tides.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is no way in hell a tsunami has the power of a nuke.

I feel badly for those affected, but this will probably happen again (hopefully on a smaller scale).

Best answers
Note, tidal waves are the foolish american way of saying Tsunami
Funny, news all over here use the word 'tsunami.'

9.1 quake. Looks like 8 American tourists were killed so far. Hundreds upon hundreds of tourists are unaccounted for now. Thousands are still either missing or homeless.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A Tsunami does have the power of a nuke. Think, how much a wave like that weighs? You think it's light? Waves like those, have crushed entire cities with no problems at all in the past.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The nuke itself is extremely light compared to the power unleashed once it detonates. How is a tidal wave as powerful as an explosion caused by atoms being split?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The destruction is the same, no big difference there.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow. Just wow. When i see a tsunami make an entire city (and then some) disintegrate, ill agree with you.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
There's a huge difference between a tidal wave and a nuke..tidal waves don't exactly bake the skin off of your bones.. :x
either way, that's not the subject..let's get back to the original topic..if it all comes down to it..make a thread about the difference between a tsunami and a nuke if you have to.
o_O

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kinetic Energy released from a Tsunami (which a true tsunami is rarely greater than 10 meters high) is far less than that of a Nuclear fission explosion, and far lesser yet than a Nuclear fusion explosion. However, a Mega-Tsunami (caused by an avalanche of a cliffside, rather than the seismic(sp?) shift of the ocean floor, or the tidal pull of the Moon's gravity well as common waves are formed) has the impact potential of a few nuclear weapons as the wave can reach heights of 100 meters plus, travels at supersonic speed and cover the entire coast of a continent in water. No nuke I know of can cause that kind of devistation, then again, the much smaller "mundane" tsunami can rip a city a new one as mentioned before, sweeping buildings back out to sea.

Imagine that, a silly American knows more about tsunamis than anyone here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those are the kinds I'm talking about Cuc. Normal Tsunamis, cannot do that kind of damage. Tidal pulls are silly, the waves cannot reach 100 meters up in the air that way. Naturally, if the earth quake they experienced was 40 000 KM higher up.. Well.. Then we'd all be dead. The earth quake was 40 000 km beneath the ocean floor, so the waves could not have been made that big. I did not talk about this particular incident, i just noted that tsunamis can be very very very damaging. It has happened before, that entire cities were destroyed by tsunamis. Large tsunamis are so lethal, if you see one in visual range it is already too late. In this case people had a chance to run up in higher terrain.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Distance from the surface is irrelevant, seismic shift of the ocean floor up or down is what causes that quake and the resultant displacement of water causes the tsunami. Thus, irregardless of the distance into the earth, the ocean floor's vertical climb or decent is what causes the wave. Further, the earths crust has never shifted more than 30 feet, thus the damage from a regular tsunami is not able to "kill us all" even if the epicenter is at the surface. A mountain collapsing into the sea floor would result in global flooding and waves 100 meters high.

Just so we are clear, this wave claimed the lives of roughly half the people one of the nukes used in Japan. 54,000 at Nagasaki or Hiroshima I believe (I very well could be incorrect on that number).

Further, I never claimed tidal pull has any devistating impact, storm surges are far worse. I am alluding to the fact that calling a tsunami a tidal wave is a "silly American" thing. Not every American is an idiot, just as I'm sure not every foreigner is a bigoted presumptous prick . . . though the loudest ones seem to make a bad case for the whole. Ironic, isn't it? Frankly, anti-american sentiment on the net makes me sick. Humans as a whole are flawed, and no country's hands are clean. I know you are only 13, but please, refrain from growing up with prejudice in your heart and chips on your shoulder. It subtracts from an otherwise bright human being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom