Best answers
there might be a prefab of some half-life lamp in there. but i suggest making it yourself, this may be harder, but it will help improve your mapping ability and give you greater control over your map.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, but how do I make it myself... I can't even make couches anymore it won't let me! I used to click on the block tool change primitives to random objects or something then choose what I want but it won't let me do anything but primitives now ;( !

Best answers
well i dunno what happened to your prefabs, but in my opinion: prefabs=st00pid.

you can, if you want, go to some prefab sites and try to find some cool furniture and download that. But I suggest try making it yourself. Experiment with different construction styles and methods, and play around with what can be achieved with the basic shapes. It can take awhile, but the results are better...and you get a little feeling inside you that goes":D...me made that...that r0x0rz!"

Best answers
Cool map.. just maybe if you edit it more then make it wider.. so it really feels like your in space and you have more fun with melee.. just a suggestion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I already have done that, I just need to beef up the rooms. I need to know how to make prefabs!

Best answers
you dont need to know how make prefabs:p all prefabs are, are objects built and edited from the primitives. you just have to make the objects normally, and if you want to uses them multiple times, group them and copy them. If you want to save your constructions as prefabs, select the object you made, and under the primitives tab, there is a button that says 'create prefab', click that, and it will save any selected objects as a prefab to where ever you tell it to save them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, I get you, I will try to do that but... I downloaded some and when I try to compile it says something about a coplar plane or something. The same thing happens when I try to make light switches...

Best answers
is this the type of problem you are having?

Entity 10, Brush 0, Side 5: has a coplanar plane at (-753, -9, 251), texture CA1X_CON1B
Entity 10, Brush 0, Side 6: has a coplanar plane at (-753, -32, 251), texture CA1X_CON1B

I assume you are using Zoner's Compiling Tools. Because any problem you have while compiling can be answered in the Zoner's Help files.

If you dont have them, you should get them!, and the reason you are getting that problem is because there is a brush or brushes somewhere in your map that have two faces that are on the same plane. ie, there are two faces that look like one flat face. This is caused by vertex manipulation.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Note: I am using ZHLT

I got the coplar plane to work now it is just getting light switches. The tutorials I tried didn't give enough detail (Handy Almaniac) and some were non-existant (URL not found). I have the light switch, I just need to know how to set it up to make the lights (not light entities, or do I have to do light entities) go on when you hit "Use" then off when you hit "Use" again. Ill try to search for more tutorials.

Best answers
go to the light entity that you want to turn on and off, give it a name. now you need to make the lightswitch a func_button, and make it target that light by entering the light's name in the trigger box, give the button these setting aswell: 'toggle', and 'dont move'. that should work:)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i did everything but toggle and move. I hope it works... after that the furniture which isn't working, stupid coplar planes ;(!

*EDIT*
Front
Left Side
Right Side
Back
New Planets
The Stairs

These are update pictures, I want you comments/suggestions to make things better. I will get some pictures of the rooms and couches when I am done.

Best answers
the planets look a hell of a lot better! good job! :)

with the coplanar error, find out what brush numbers are giving you the errors, the search for those brushes by pressing Ctrl+Shift+G and entering the brush number. Look around at the object while it is selected, and try to spot any errors (eg two faces aligned together on the same plane), if you find any, then try to fix it with vertex manipulation, if you cant find it, or is something really whack, then you might as well make that object again:p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My tables work now but my lamps... I guess I will make my own! Oh and gogeta what would make this map the "best"?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a few of questions:

1) How do you put in a map description?

2) Do you choose where to randomize the dragonballs or is that coded in?

3) How do you make lights go on and off? I can get it so that the actual texture goes off and on but how do you get it to light up the room?

If anyone could answer them it would be a big help!

Best answers
Originally posted by !XxShAdOwxX!
I have a few of questions:

1) How do you put in a map description?

2) Do you choose where to randomize the dragonballs or is that coded in?

3) How do you make lights go on and off? I can get it so that the actual texture goes off and on but how do you get it to light up the room?

If anyone could answer them it would be a big help!
1) If you go to Map Properties (where you enter which sky you want) there is a field for a map name/description

2) No clue

3) I'm assuming you are using a func_button that triggers the texture change, correct? If you are just using a light entity, you also need to trigger the light entity with the func_button. You may need to use a multimanager to target both the texture and the light entity.

So, in the func_button, you would target the multimanager. In the multimanager, you would target the light entity and the texture. Make sense? I think something to that effect would work. (Sorry, I'm not at my computer right now, so I don't have access to VHE :S )

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright I think I know what your talking about with the lighting. Do I need to download a multimanager or what? How would I apply it?

For map description, in some maps the description is like a paragraph. Are you sure thats where it goes?

Best answers
A multimanager is an entity. Just create a point entity, and make it a multimanager.

For the description, what you also can do, is make a text file with your description. Name it esf_grandkaiarena.txt or the same name as your map name. Put it in the maps folder along with your map. That is the description that will show up when the map loads or when you would join a server.

When distributing your map, you will also need to include that text file.

Best answers
- map description: make a .txt file in the same directory as your map, and give it the exact same name as your map. write whatever you want in there
- the dragonball entities that you put in the map give esf some places to randomly put the dragonballs, so you need atleast 7. but for variation, add more so the dragonballs are in different places each time.
- lights: you only need a multimanager if you are targeting more than one light from one switch, otherwise, all you need to do is name the light entity(eg: light01), then go to the properties for the button, and under the target field, put in the name of that light (eg: light01), then while your still in the button properties, click the 'flags' tab and turn on 'toggle' and 'dont move'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom