HOWing, what's your take?

What is your take on HOWing?

• HOWing is for newbies only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HOWing should be widely accepted.

• HOWing should be done only in moderation.

• Total voters
Best answers
I guess im a HOWer myself.
You find it annoying but hell what i think is more annoying is people who moves around in like 20 angles + teleporting in 10 angles and then appearing behind or to my side then knockin me into the ground and then for some reason they ALWAYS are able to swoop down and catch me on the roll which in turn I get knocked up into the sky and then they swoop up/or jump up + teleport and appear right on top of me and then BAM! Now thats annoying lol. It looks cool and looks like the shows but when your in the opposite side its just.. well ANNOYING! lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What you're saying is you can't keep up with good players? Don't sweat it. Try turning up your sensitivity a little.

Best answers
Last second melee, or HOWing, in my opinion, requires less skill than swooping with high sensitivity. If you're playing to kill people, that's fine and you can HOW all you like. But if you're playing to earn respect, and trying to be considered one of the ESF melee gods, then people are just gonna laugh at you. Winning isn't everything in the elite community, but rather, the way you win, impressing your opponent, and ultimately, defeating him and leaving him with no excuse but his own mistakes.

Best answers
What you're saying is you can't keep up with good players? Don't sweat it. Try turning up your sensitivity a little.
Well i got lots of reasons. I got 80-100 fps, 1.5 ghz etc etc. Everything is smooth. I even have an optical mouse. I dont have much problems following players, pulling off loops etc. Just that.. well its hard to explain but my optical mouse starts gettin messy when i try to keep track of people moving in 10 different angles etc. My sensitivty is already 10, I AM NOT upping it any higher than that lol. I can easily chase you but when you or some1 else like chobits does em its hard to defend against. So yea, thats my weak point, blocking/defending against those kind of swoops. Now... if I had aimbot like certain people say then why cant I just "lock on" to the player, lets say optional while he does that crazt melee swoop **** and just block. At this time of my esf time, if i had aimbot im pretty sure i would of found a way to use the aiming part to keep you centered + makin a counter for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is your optical mouse an old one? I just had to get a new one because my old microsoft optical would jerk in random directions if I moved too fast.

Best answers
I got a cheap logitech 1 and yea mine jerks too. Not to the point where its gonna move all over the screen but just to the point where lets say i have u in my direct crosshair where my crosshair is in the middle of you.. suddenly it jerks off to a small direction and it does that little hovering affect where when i try to move it, it doesnt. Its still pretty effective though and i wont waste money on a new mouse.. maybe a new keyboard or table but not a mouse that works.

Best answers
I have been keeping track of the topic, and keeping track on how people play. This is what I have come up with: ESF is a Dragon Ball Z Mod(Easy to understand) So when people play ESF they want to play it like DBZ, and in the show the first thing they do is power up and charge each other. Thats seems to be the mind set that a lot of players have. Does anyone remeber an episode of DBZ where the battle starts and they just flew circles around eachother(Yes this happens don't me wrong, I can name a few times) Understand my point?

Best answers
grOOvy said:
HOWing should be acceptable by people, but some of the extreme "I only HOW, nothing else" people... my opinion about them is really sad. It's a shame that many of the good people in 1.0 have to resort to this; and I will not name anyone, so relax I'm not pointing fingers.
That's all i can say... :S

Best answers
If they intended it to be like the show, they could have made both fighters bounce back just outside of swoop range so that they could head-on each other again, each fighter taking some damage based on who is stronger. This would look crazy if someone was watching it, but it would make for boring melee, UNTIL the weaker guy tries swooping around and around and, isn't that what we all want?

Best answers
No. People want little cop-out tactics. I hope that 1.2 is entirely balanced, melee, beams, EVERYthing. I hope there's no Block Counter, no HOW'ing, no crap. If there's nothing for these kids to fall back on, maybe.. JUST maybe.. They will start using some skillful tactics. Until then, I guess most of the ESF community will be showcasing the thickness and resiliance of the tops of their heads. Congratulations kids.

Best answers
Wow Halorin, I sense much hostility and surpressed anger :eek:. *steps away quietly, whistling contently* ^_^

Best answers
GMan said:
Is your optical mouse an old one? I just had to get a new one because my old microsoft optical would jerk in random directions if I moved too fast.
Mine goes crazy spinning sometimes, it's weird.

P.S. Sorry for the double post.

Best answers
"Does anyone remeber an episode of DBZ where the battle starts and they just flew circles around eachother(Yes this happens don't me wrong, I can name a few times)."

Hahaha... I always love battles like that. They're go swooping around in circles, I teleport once or twice, and recharge while they continue swooping in circles. I can't remember one time in DBZ where they showed someone swooping behind the other fighter when they weren't flying from a previous melee blow. They tend to show them doing what would be considered an ESF teleport.

Best answers
melee is really messed up right now. i am somewhat ok with HOWing, but the extreme HOWers and block whores really piss me off. swooping around is also really annoying, it takes way too long to finish the fight, most of the time it seems like you are going no where, and there is a huge chance of getting beamed when you are out in the open or in enemy territory. sensu beans also really screw up melee... ;/

i hope they balance melee and beaming in 1.2 also, but i hope by balancing it doesnt mean that melee will be all about swooping. i dont see swooping as much of an all skill thing. your computer performance and mouse sensitivity plays a part in it too...i CAN move my sensitivity higher, but i am not going to, its stupid...

Best answers
"i dont see swooping as much of an all skill thing. your computer performance and mouse sensitivity plays a part in it too...i CAN move my sensitivity higher"

So skill equals the guy with the quicker wrist, and best computer...sounds about right to me. :D

Best answers
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?threadid=27814

Read my melee system idea. To me this would make melee more stressful.. lol and make it more fun.

Btw I consider myself a newbie when it comes to nicknames for certain styles of game play so correct me if im wrong here.
Head on melee, is that when you basically just swoop head on to your opponent or is this when you wait for your opponent to swoop and then you swoop right after him giving you the bigger ki bar in most cases?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In my opinion, LSM and HOW are just more names for sore losers to call their enemies when they lose.

It doesn't matter if that person isn't one, or uses a completely different style of fighting. If they can beat you, *gasp* You're a HOW. If you stop to charge for one second, then continue flying.. Well, that just makes you a dirty LSM, doesn't it? Because we all know the ENEMY won't be recharging his ki, after teleporting!

Anyway..just rambling.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with Alea and Groovy. People need to simply accept that there are certain techniques that are cheaper than others and learn to live with them. It's like with role playing games; some people will power-game and others will role play. Everyone has their own preference, and while you don't necessarily have to agree with their choice of action, you shouldn't have the right to ***** at, label, or stereo-type them for it. Labels and stereo-types like these are born out of hatred. People in-game use them like someone out of the game would use the N-word or "jew," they're uncalled for and overgeneralized. Just because you aren't happy with the way someone is handling themself doesn't mean you get to call them a bad name for it.

See if you agree with this statement: So far as level of effort is concerned, 'playing fair' is to 'HOWing' as 'insisting' is to 'ranting and complaining'. It's sure a hell of a lot easier to sit back and ***** at somebody then it is to calmly ask them to change what they're doing or simply avoid them. Nobody wants to try and change things, they just want to ***** and moan until someone else changes things for them. Word to the wise, boys, 1.2 isn't coming out for quite a while, and until then you're going to have to deal with people who sit back and charge at you. No level of moaning and name-calling is going to stop them.

Best answers
You act as if these people can beat us. HOWing is a minor annoyance at best. True skill always wins in the end, but the time it takes on someone who should take much less time and health is the issue. If someone out there thinks their HOWing is so godly that no skilled elite can beat them, by all means step to the plate. You're welcome to get decimated by any one of us. We're out to prove that not only is HOWing cheap, but its a losing game even perfected to its best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom