ESFSTUFF Layout and file primissions.

Best answers
Hello all...

As most of you proberly know is that i am about to open a esf resource site called ESFSTUFF and i now have a beta layout that is not finished yet and onother layout is also comming but i would really like to know what you think of it..

And i got an question of the file primissions...
I tought that it was allowed to put all those esf files (maps, models, sprites and more) on your own website but someone asked me if i have file primissions but i tought that they arent needed....

((sorry i am dutch so not verry good in english..))

Well here is a previeuw of the layout.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like it, but I think the name needs some imagination ;). As for file permissions you need them. I don't think many will object, seeing as they probably want to share their work with others (myself included). So if you are doing maps too go ahead host my only map that if it is still out there would be pure luck cause my comp froze and I lost everything! Anyways layout looks good :).

Best answers
:no: get some serious help ( but not bad for first try)

i gotta agree with Halorin call it Capsule Corp.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this has nothing to do with esf so it dont go in esf chat

Best answers
Okey.. as i read above i need to have primission for the esf files...

Who can give me those primissions??

EDIT:
- - - - - - -

I cany call it Capsule Corp anymore becoourse esfstuff.com has alreaddy been registered.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the people that can give you permissions are the people hwo made the files, youll need to track them down, no 1 person can honestly give you permission to upload all the models unless all of them are his

Best answers
nuttzy said:
the people that can give you permissions are the people hwo made the files, youll need to track them down, no 1 person can honestly give you permission to upload all the models unless all of them are his
But how did REDSIYAN do that... i dont think that he asked every model editer/creator... i think they just used those things and publice it.

I now have about 130 files so it would be a shame to ask everyone for the primissions :S..

besides.. i alreaddy have asked a few model editor/creators (like DARKSUN) and those people dont care about it.. if i want to put them on my site then they don`t have a problem with that.

So i think i will just ask the primissions from the ESF team and than its fine with me and i upload all those 130 files..

Best answers
if you have possibly obtained my maps or models you may use them....they have my game name on them somewhere...if u know it lol

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was allowed on red saiyan because Spin would search amongst the modelling forum and ask users for their files. He also ended up giving them access to upload their own files to the server.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah he would either ask or make you an account so they could upload their own stuff.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"So i think i will just ask the primissions from the ESF team and than its fine with me and i upload all those 130 files.."

the esf team didnt make those files, and thus they cant honestly grant you permission, thats just common sense

RS got its models cuz instead of RS asking to upload models, people asked RS to upload thier models,

the complete opposite of what your doing now,

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think instead of being rude to someone who is graciously trying to start a good ESF resource site, we should encourage him to do the right thing--ask for permission--rather then criticize him for not.

If Spin can't be bothered to put RedSaiyan back up for whatever reason, we need -nice guys- like GohanSSJ2!!

I am grateful for what he's doing. Keep up the good work!

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i aint being rude, he should get proper permissions from the model authors to see if he is allowed to host the models,

im sure you understand that,

uploading and hosting someones work without thier consent, is that not rude?,
(not to mention illegal in some ways)

it doesnt matter how many authors there are, if laziness isnt his excuse for not asking all of them, then what is it?

if he wants to do this "nice thing" for the esf community im all for it, but if hes not willing to undertake all of the responsibilities of doing so, he shouldnt even try

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah, people started asking for their files to be hosted on RS, but he had to start somewhere which was asking for permission. GohanSSJ2, just ask for permission from the modellers/mappers. Some will be reluctant, some will say no, but some will be happy to have a host for their file.

Best answers
spin did it the easy way, people send him stuff and he decided if it gotten up (wow he had power unbelivabel)

Best answers
Sorry to bring it back up but you do have the right to use redsaiyan.

"Copyright law does not protect domain names"
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

but that is off topic but any ways do as you please. I was just stating that you do have the right to do that......but i wouldn't do it only because it will be a living hell for you if you do SPiN should have the right for his site and he should do as he see fit. (ir as greg sees fit) Thank you for your time, i hope this is helpful. I am reading more up on copy right laws in school and am doing it on my free time. Greg (or SPiN) DO NOT have to register to have there "site" be protected under copy right laws. But any ways, you should continue with what you are going to do i just wanted to merely point out that u can use the redsaiyan domain name.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The question is not of domain names, but rather hosting the models and maps and other files created by users.

He's already gotten the domain name and server so he's set there, he just needs permission, which like I said, he should ask the individual users if they would like their work uploaded to the site.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The he should do what SPiN did, Wait for people to ask him to upload it. I think I would be able to help in some parts and others.

I myself would like to join this resource site, because without RedSaiyan I'm without a job. ^.^*

Best answers
I know that he just needs permissons and stuff. I was just saysing he has the right to use RedSaiyan without breaking any copy right laws. Bu he does need to get permissons. Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

but any ways i would also like to pint out 2 other things.
How do I get permission to use somebody else's work?
You can ask for it. If you know who the copyright owner is, you may contact the owner directly. If you are not certain about the ownership or have other related questions, you may wish to request that the Copyright Office conduct a search of its records or you may search yourself. See the next question for more details.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html

We can provide you with the information available in our records. A search of registrations, renewals, and recorded transfers of ownership made before 1978 requires a manual search of our files. Upon request, our staff will search our records at the statutory rate of $75 for each hour. There is no fee if you conduct a search in person at the Copyright Office. Copyright registrations made and documents recorded from 1978 to date are available for searching online. For further information. How to Investigate the Copyright Status of a Work. Copyright Card Catalog and the Online File

one last thing about copy right laws...
Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances.

Sorry for so much info. I thought it would be some good reading and it might be helpful. This will be my last post foor this kind topic unless it is needed again..lol. Any ways, Once Gohanssj2!! gets permissons he can bring it online. But if i recall he can use maybe, but risky, 1 or 2 things frrom people if you are unable to contact them. You might want to search the forums if you can, or look/ask around for there e-mails and/or AIM, Yahoo, msn,etc. If all fails then you might want to display peoples work (not make it avable for download) or you could have it avaible for download for maybe a day or 2. that way there wount be a huge flameing for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom