ESF Open Beta? I Believe So!

Best answers
Some more info/answers to questions:

The forcepit might still show whatever happens inbetween open beta releases and will probably feature stuff that cannot be played with yet (unfinished models, maps). And then there is always the promise of pictures of a certain forum member and his Christmas hat.

There will be new specific forum section dedicated to the open beta, where you can post bugs, suggestions, or just discus the open beta.

The open beta will be run from a different directory as the esf dir, so you will be able to run both on your computer. There will be no installer, if you're unable to copy a file, this is not for you.

We're currently looking into ways of incrementally distributing files, so that you don't have to re-download the files you already have. Vapour online might be a good way of doing this.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so, will this be any different at all than the hacked esf minion edition by any chance? i'm just curious.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you're thinking of playing MSF instead - don't. It's punnishable by a permanent ban, plus you don't know what it might do to your system. It hasn't been confirmed to have any virii or whatever, but it's best to be safe.

MSF contains the Beta from November. It's likely that the current build has some updates and such. MSF is completely obsolete.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
We're currently looking into ways of incrementally distributing files, so that you don't have to re-download the files you already have. Vapour online might be a good way of doing this.
As I've told Mastasurf, Vapour is as much as dead at the moment. I'll help how ever with any hosting / mirroring you need.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
harSens said:
Then again I hope there will always be a direct download option D:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah, i could help too, i'd make a finnish mirror good for all scandinavians or why not for the whole northern europe!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
is "Vapour" something like "Tortoise SVN" ?
Cause if its something like SVN then i think it would be an good idea in using it.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not for me T_T I'm using SVN and I end up waiting a whole night for a download to finish...
Actually I was affraid someone would mention SVN lol ;[

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh bady connection ? :p
Still i think using SVN or somehting similiar would work out good :/
At ecx svn is used and i must say its neato.
but maybe there is an better working way from where everyone would benefit then.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont know if my connection is damaged =P I seem to be able to download stuff on 200KB/s from direct downloads.

I was using SVN for ECX too and ended up waiting 12 hours (whole night sleep+) to download 300+MB.
Maybe SVN just doesnt suit everyone...and if it doesnt then it's not likely to be the smartest way to transfer files through.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well here's the vapour site http://www.vapour-online.com/ but like we said we're looking into it, nothing in concrete yet. I doubt that it'll be 300 mb files though, you'll probably download the main folder, then for updates you'd use vapour, and I doubt updates will take up more than 20mb (more like 5-10mb most of the time) unless a new map is added or there's a huge update.

Best answers
I'm personally in favour of having it as a torrent.
(Will personally set it up, if need be).
Torrents have a bad name for being used for illegal downloading.

But if ESF hosted the tracker, there shouldnt be any problems.

And you can resume your downloads, set download speeds etc, and most of the bandwith is really handled by the users downloading and uploading the file, So hosting/server costs would severly be diminished.

And those with limited monthly bandwith, (I feel your pain Bigpond users :p)
Can then set limits etc in the torrent client itself to suit there needs.

Just my 2 cents.

Best answers
Dunno if any of you remember me, I was a suggestion fourm camper/flamer. Being fortunate enough to swing arround and the progress of one of my more favorite old time games I'm excited and looking forward to seeing you guys their ;D

Discord Member
Best answers
how about r-a-p-i-d-s-h-a-r-e.......o_o
Just a thought :]

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
lol, **********? You got to be kidding me.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
shadowcast said:
How about a more stable host =P
Happend to me once that I downloaded a big file from there it and got stuck in the middle of the download and I had to start over but ********** requires for you to wait 50 minutes or more to start a new download...basically a big headache. ;P

FF|Skyrider said he can support the downloads, as long as it will be direct downloads or Bittorrent I'm not worried. ;p

Best answers
i agree with veggeto as long as it will be direct or torrent i'm not worried

Discord Member
Best answers
man just turn off your modem and turn it on connect to the net and voila xD

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The main file (containing everything) would be direct or bittorrent, but the small updates that'll occur maybe on a weekly basis should be dealt with in another way, since hosting and putting out links is going to put people off every time they go into the game and find the dll's dont match with the server's that are running. Version checking, and small downloads can be handled if we use something other than just direct downloads or bittorrent, the downloads wont be big after the initial download, remember, this is half life.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
shadowcast said:
yeah right, once you download there, you have to wait 70 minutes to download something else.. even the proxies don't work there anymore :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom