Doom 3 Info

Best answers
You.. might want to get a new video card, even a 5200 will run the game at low quality. You may be able to play the game at low quality after a ram upgrade, but don't expect flying colors with it. By the way, you can delete your post by hitting the
button.

KyoKusanagi

K
Ok i dunno if this has been convered but heres the command to run more than 4 players in Doom 3:

Doom3.exe +set net_serverdedicated 1 +exec DoomConfig.cfg +set si_maxPlayers 16 +servermaprestart

where +set si_maxPlayers can be anything from 4 to 256.... though i wouldn't recommend 256 players :p

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Am I the only person with an inbetween opinion on Doom 3? I've played a few hours (I plan to play through it over the next few days) and I have to say I enjoy the graphics very much, although they don't look *quite* good enough to require such hardcore graphics cards and video memory. The dialogue is good, though the opening sequence before hell broke loose really should have been at least a few minutes longer to establish more characters or just give you more of a feel for that base. The guns are sub-par, but the enemies are interesting and creepy enough so far. By the guns being sub-par I mean the machine gun feels like it's shooting air (and apparently the imps think it is because they just storm right through the bullets), the shotgun is horribly bizaarly inaccurate at more range than, say, five feet, and the handgun is slow and weak.

I don't like the AI. That is to say, the lack of it. Doom 1 and 2 lacked AI but Doom 3 could have done something better with it. ID chose not to. 99% of the scariness of the game is expecting something to jump out at you, and about 75% of the time it does when you expect it to, which makes it less shocking. The problem is that it is mostly shock, less horror. Sure, the atmosphere is really freaky, but after a while once you recognize how things work you're able to sprint around waiting for things to burst out and plant some shots in them. You're scared by some cheap "in your face" tactics, like zombies showing up in darkness 5 feet away when you turn a corner, but rarely by something that you know is there ahead of time and may be stalking you (because there is no AI for that). That's not terrible, I just... don't like it. See, I thought it was fine in Doom + Doom 2 because your entire objective was to shoot everything that moved. Well in Doom 3 it's not about fighting a million imps at a time, it's about two jumping out from 5 feet away and mauling you because they were supposed to spawn or hide ridiculously close to a dark corner that you couldn't possible have navigated around any other way, and that bugs me. I think that kind of thing is great in small doses, but it sorta feels like Doom 3 relies on it too much. Again, I think it could just be a lot creepier if the enemies had *some* kind of brains and would stalk you or at least hide behind something after seeing you if you were shooting at it, but I guess that's asking a bit much from a Doom game.

I like the game more than I dislike it, don't get me wrong. I'm glad I got it, at least so I can understand what people are talking about. It bugs me that they recycled as many Doom 1&2 gimmicks as they did when I feel they could have improved on them, but I'll survive. Also, the flashlight gimmick is really dumb IMO and not doom or doom 2 like. I understand the suspense that can be built by having to walk around without a weapon out, but it just feels cheap, like you're being forced to be scared by not being able to tape your flashlight to your gun. Good game, with flaws.

Now I don't like people saying it's crappy because it lacks AI or because you can't do kung fu or plant a lethal bullet in the monster's colon or shoot out eyes. The combat is perfectly as in-depth as it is required to be, you can't argue that it isn't because you can't do anything else to hell demons with a shotgun then shoot them in the body or the head. People saying the graphics aren't impressive need glasses. Those saying the graphics are the greatest thing you've ever seen ever and they are just the greatest most awesome thing need to take a soma and calm down. Saying the enemies aren't scary is... well that's in the eye of the beholder. The first imp I saw was scary, the rest are just bland too me now, not really scary, I just know to move out of the way when they shoot at me and keep shooting at them.

Best answers
To the hardware requirement, graphical balance comment by sonic.

I have to say ... that the game runs smoothly on much lower than ID wants you to know. (with some config tweaks... that don't effect visuals at all)

I think this is due largly in part to their partnership with nvdia... who is looking to increase graphics card sales. (not joking.. totally serious)

Some things are set in the configs WELL below the MINIMUM requirements... It makes sense to perhaps put the defaults for certain things at minimum requirements... but some things are just beyond below that. And i really think this has to due with nvdia trying to get you to upgrade your machine to play doom III (when infact it can run just as well on lower systems with the right optimization tweaks).

As for the challenge part of the game. It definiately gets harder once you beat the game on veteren. I wont tell you what you get... but think diablo II difficulty levels.

As for the 99percent expecting where people to be. Oh i know.. trust me... i thought that too.. but iD got more and more creative the farther and deeper you get into the game. Eventually it will get you to the point that you are so freaked out you check EVERY turn... and still get surprised. Trust me.. the game picks up in depth and fun in the latter portions.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I think I have to disagree on some points, Sonic.

First, the enemies who were marines (I don't think you've run into any yet) DO hide behind things, and I have seen them change positions to get a cleaner shot at me and things of that nature. I've also seen them do a strafing commando roll on occasion too. The spiders sidestep your shots, and other enemies' projectiles will stop your shots from hitting them. So there is at least a LITTLE AI.

Regarding the monsters stalking you in the darkness and what not...when you get deeper into the game you will be checking every corner of ever wall, floor and ceiling with that damn flashlight. Nothing COULD stalk you; we'd see it well before it had any chance to follow us quietly or anything like that.

The graphics of the game don't impress me as much as the lighting does. The way the light shines...I mean, when I was driving home last night, I was looking at my headlights on other cars going, "wow, that's just like the game."

I'm in Delta labs now...they want me to find a piece to get the platform running. I think I'm going to Hell. :0\

NOBODY TELL ME ANYTHING!

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Only the marines hide, and they only hide when they are specifically scripted to hide somewhere. There's no AI involved. If they aren't scripted to hide behind a specific object they just run towards you mindlessly and unload entire clips at a time.

Best answers
The marines like to scare the bejesus out of me, why? They hide behind barrels, i come in the room 3 of them start shooting 1 pistol and 2 machine guns.

The problem being the game is dark so i have to look for the gun flashes to find out where to shoot lol.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
Only the marines hide, and they only hide when they are specifically scripted to hide somewhere. There's no AI involved. If they aren't scripted to hide behind a specific object they just run towards you mindlessly and unload entire clips at a time.
What exactly do you want from them? They're practically animals...

More importantly, I think every would hate this game if the enemies just hid behind boxes and were tactical. What denizen of hell would HESITATE to attack a human being?

Best answers
I agree, i don't think the AI needs to be super smart and tactical.. it would kill the mindless undead feeling.

But, i do think some of the AI could have been better... such as Imps... who should be more sneaky (thus the name imps) in combat...

But as i said... wait till the latter game and once u beat veteren mode.. it gets more challenging.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The thing is, not everybody wants to play through the game 2-3 times. The AI could *definitely* be better. I don't really care for the whole "We're too stupid to hurt you" theme going on. They aren't undead, they're posessed, and I should hope some of the demons were smarter. A little stealth goes a very long way to making a game more scary and more challenging. I just run into every room now because I know there wont be an enemy hiding on the cieling or even remotely trying to be stealthy. Now I've never been to hell but neither has anybody else here or the people at ID. They could have been more creative than making everything use the same "animal" AI is all I'm saying.

Best answers
I just the game for the 2nd time, but on nightmare, a few mins ago. I decided to head over and see what multiplayer was like. For some odd reason, every server has a password, even the non-passworded ones. Both me and my brother bought a copy of the game, and it does the same for both.

Help?

BTW: You people are taking your opinions to literaly :fight:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It does that stupid password thing for me too. Anyone else have that problem?

And for the millionth time, if you run into every room like a big hardass, of course the game isn't going to be fun. There are some doors in the game that I can't wait till you try to run through them, Sonic....

I'll remember this complaint, along with all the others, when the inevitable Half-Life 2 thread comes along.

EDIT: Sonic...set the cvar in doomconfig.cfg for the nightmare mode and play it on that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I am pretty sure everyone is getting that problem. Either give a password or server full, when they are neither of the two.

Best answers
:D :D Sooo that's why it takes forever for my server to fill up!!!! *goes on multiple doom3 forums and posts solution*

:D:D ty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom