Doom 3 Info

Best answers
Hahaha yeah i saw that. But that's not fair. It's not his fault HL2 is being delayed, it's those bastards that stole the source. :) On the brightside now HL2 will ship WITH CS:S :D :D :D

Best answers
ok well now that im off my ban lol i can finally post my opinion ^_^ any way i love this game, the atmosphere gives u the whole creepy feeling and all. im not even half way done but i had to turn off shadows to get my fps up more....i can have them on and get average 30 fps but when stuff goes on it drops to 10 which sucks. btw a tip for people with the radeon 9600XT or below, get the 4.5 catalyst drivers they help A LOT! i went from 20 fps averge on high 800 x 600 to 60! so it might just be me but meh, i plan to upgrade my video card to the 9800 pro (or xt if i can pull it off) but ill do without the shadows for now, even though people say it does take away A LOT from the atmosphere

Best answers
For the AI thing....i definetly think the demons should be a hella lot smarter (except for pinky,,,,hes ok being a big lug/moron) but the zombie posesee or whatever ya wanna call em are pretty good being dumb. Get a mod that makes it so they only gib with large weapons or the chainsaw and they get up after a few seconds of being defeated (unless youve gibbed them, you can find it on fileplanet) and it makes the game alot more interesting as well.

Anyone else think this engine would make an incredible AVP game or a Dawn of the Dead/28 days later total conversion?

Best answers
Well so people dont need to go through the info thread (5 pages or more lol) i am making this to help people out....

to gain lots of FPS do these
-Turn off shadows (if you can live without them)

-if your using the radeon 9600 XT (or lower) reinstall the 4.5 catalyst drivers (im not positive about lower or higher cards but for me i have the 9600 XT and it helped)

I know theres plenty more ill get a list and post them here once i get them all and if you know any just post em and ill add em on this post so its at the top =P but for a start heres a pretty good guide i cant remember if it was posted in the info thread or not

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/Doom3Guide.htm

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1.) Is there *anything* different about nightmare difficulty besides the crappy health draining down to 25 thing?

2.) Why doesn't Doom 3 have hit detection online? That is absolute bull****. It's the most technologically advanced 3d game to date, and it doesn't have hit detection. That's sad.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMG, i just played it. I dont think im going to play it anymore. It scared the **** outta me. Im gonna uninstall it now. It ran fine on my pc when people told me it wouldnt. Its a really nicly graphiced game, but its just too evil for me.

Best answers
Holy crap, uninstall it because it's too evil? You know it's just polygons right? They weren't sacraficing babies, although there are enemies in the game that might make you think otherwise.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No crap :p. Im a modeler, ofcourse i know what games are made up of, but this game is incredible, i just dont like the feeling i get when i play it, im just not the kind of person that plays games like this, the evilest game i ever played was resident evil 0 [gamecube] :p, and even that gave me the creeps XD.

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
It does that stupid password thing for me too. Anyone else have that problem?

And for the millionth time, if you run into every room like a big hardass, of course the game isn't going to be fun. There are some doors in the game that I can't wait till you try to run through them, Sonic....

I'll remember this complaint, along with all the others, when the inevitable Half-Life 2 thread comes along.

EDIT: Sonic...set the cvar in doomconfig.cfg for the nightmare mode and play it on that.
Heh, this post cought my eye. Why are you gonna complain about things in Half Life that you like in Doom 3? Other people have their opinion, but changing your opinion just to get "revenge" because people don't like Doom 3 is a little sad. Also, all this stuff your saying, about not being able to play the game if you aren't in the right mood, or if you go into it hoping it will suck, well you honestly tell me right now that you won't do the same thing with HL2 :rolleyes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My only point is that when Half-Life comes around, the people cracking on doom won't have the same complaints about HL2, even if it is a worse offender in the same departments.

How many games have we seen over the past two years with enemies that rarely duck behind cover? With insanely high graphics requirements? Games lacking story? But Doom does all these things and it's a total loss, an utter piece of ****. Doom 3 is about one thing and one thing only--atmosphere. If you go into it without that mentality, it's not going to do much; atmosphere is relative to immersion. And if you sit down to play the frigging game with no intent whatsoever to be immersed--if you sit down as a critic, looking for bad models or textures, and other things to complain about--you're NOT going to be immersed, and if you're not immersed, you're not going to be experiencing the chief factor of the game, which is it's atmosphere.

I don't think I said anywhere that I wasn't going to play Half-Life 2, or that I was expecting it to suck. On the contrary, I acknowledge the fact that they are both different animals entirely. I won't lie, I prefer this new atmospheric approach and find it brilliant, and personally find HL2's gameplay elements to be a little on the gimmicky side ("Wild Vehicles! Crazy weapons! Blatant abuse of a physics engine!!"). Does that mean I'm not gonna play it and enjoy it? Hell no, I'll love it just the same. Half-Life is the game for the more discretionary FPS fan; put simply, you'll be able to "do more stuff," and that works great for the general snapcase FPS fan public. But Doom is my forefather of videogaming. Gaming is a huge part of my life, you see--so this edition of Doom is a big deal to me.

But if people can tell me all these bad things about what is easily one of the most entertaining single player fps experiences I've ever had...then I'm sure I can annoy the Half-Life 2 fans with my own nitpicks.

I doubt the enemies will be any smarter. The graphics definitely won't be any better (especially if you have an nvidia card). The game might be equally as long but I doubt it will be as immersive.

You're not the player in Half-Life, Gordon Freeman is. You just tell him what to do. I like the way Doom tried to change that. I like the way Doom tries to draw you into it's world, rather than awe you with it. I like the way the UAC facility really does look like a massive scientific environment that has been overrun and underserviced. And god dammit, if you are going to sit there and ***** that the monsters aren't smart enough when they do things like wait for you to walk by to jump out of a wall...just because it's "scripted AI" and not actual AI...well ****, you're really reaching for that complaint.

You're fighting ****ing animals, and it's DOOM. DOOM's gameplay elements remain intact in this one...you don't sit and take careful aim at a monster's one exposed body part while they hide and periodically snipe at you.

The Doom monsters aren't campers. They never were. If you have such a problem with, uninstall the game, and be quiet about it already. I've said it a million times...if you want to be a hater, don't do it here.

But nobody does that. Cause the game IS good. Definitely good enough to play through. Nobody goes, "oh, this AI is horrible," and uninstalls a game. When was the last time I played a game and lowered my indication of the experience because the AI was minimal? They aren't there to sneak up on you, or make these tactical decisions like they're a squad of navy god-damned seals. They aren't there to do that. THEY'RE THERE TO EAT YOUR ****ING SOUL.

You want demons that use these extensive military tactics....those things probably don't even know what a ****ing gun IS. To them you're probably appearing as nothing more than a walking pile of meat with a metal toy in your hands. What reason do they have to hide? Why be intimidated when they easily wiped out dozens of others just like you, who mostly just cowered and cried at the sight of them?

Honestly. What the hell more do people want out of this game?

Best answers
Ah, sorry. I got the wrong idea completely :\
I've got to agree though, a lot of the complaints I've heard sound very, very nitpicky, but I don't own the game yet so I suppose I can't comment.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:

Hit detection, scarier AI, less spawn-in-your-face horror gimickery, and more hit detection.

Also, what is different about nightmare mode besides the fact your health sucks itself down to 25?

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I wouldnt mind some more diverse and original gameplay, some smarter enemies, decent multiplayer, more open gameplay etc etc. Half life 2 promises all of that (whether it delivers or not is another question) so i dont think youll see the same complaints for HL2 at all.

All in all though Doom 3 is still a fun game, and i would recommend it to anyone. So what if its not perfect, it does a decent job at what its supposed to do....be atmospheric and scary. If they had varied their use of scaryness elements a little more, it would have made this game a classic.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I honestly think the game creators tried too hard. And they prayed to, whoever they pray to, that it would be overshadowed by the amazing graphics engine.

The flashlight thing? Great concept, too bad it was as annoying as ****. When you're using your flashlight, you're defenseless, when you have a gun, you can't see what the hell you're supposed to be shooting at because the lights are all conveniently out. I think I'm going to wear out my god damned f key.

Seemingly pointless enemy spawn points? You love it. You know the ones. The ones you don't even know are there because the enemies spawn silently behind you and smoke you in the back because they're pussies. However, this isn't as bad as the, let's spawn an enemy in front of you... to distract you, from the three we're going to spawn <b>behind</b> you, and you're going to enjoy it, because there's nothing you can do about it!

Another thing about this game, when you're swarmed by a few enemies, how hard it is to get off a shot? It's pretty ****ing close to impossible, because everytime an enemy attacks you, your character spins about 168 degrees making it pretty damn difficult to aim and get a shot off as you blast the ceiling full of shotgun shells. Take that sewage pipes! Then you die, and unless you've quick saved recently, you get F'd in the A.

Yes, the atmosphere is amazing, the graphics are stunning... Too bad it's all under-mined by the unbalanced gameplay (no one is going to convince me that this game is balanced, especially when 75% of the game revolves around the flashlight/gun switching crap.)

Best answers
Have u tried one of the duct tape mods that give your guns lights?? I havnt yet, im just wondering if theyre worth my time

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, i gave D3 a second try and this time i didnt play it at 4:00am!!! Its fun, and yea the flashlight thing is annoying, i dont see what the dude cant use both his hands and hold the flashlight and the gun at the same time..... Its kinda stupid. And the other thing thats wierd is the zombies are like hella retarded, if i wanted too i could go up to em and kill em with the flashlight.....Good game, amazing graphics, ****ty gameplay.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um, if you're going to criticize anything, don't criticize the zombies. Zombies haven't changed since Night of the Living Dead. They play exactly the same even in Dungeons and Dragons.

As for the duct tape mods, I figure they'll take a lot of the experience away from the game. If you can see and shoot at things at the same time that eliminates half of the suspense. It's a cheap tactic for suspense but it works.

Best answers
Personally i wouldnt mind seeing some running zombies.......fast zombies seem alot more scary then the slow ones to me

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When did the name of this thread become, "Hey, what's *** about Doom 3?"

Best answers
There is really no point in argueing over this... we are all entitled to our opinions. Some of us find this game is amazing, some of us find it ok and some of us think it sucks. Every game has its pros and cons. I think the developers were also just really excited about the new technology available to them in the graphics department that they payed the most attention to that. Whatever, play the game, enjoy the game, appreciate its even there. 'sides, Im sure pretty soon mods will come out for this baby, so just wait till those come out and it could become even better.

Imagine an ESF-like game for Doom III, or Half Life II for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom