Doom 3 Info

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Planet Doom has a link to Tweak3d's Doom3 guide. It made my game solid--explains all the commands and gives detailed explanation to the consequences of their settings.

Best answers
What kind of performance increase do you get by unpacking the data? Is it worth doing?

Best answers
logically it will ease up on your pcu usage, thus making things run faster...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It isn't worth doubling the size of doom 3 for a couple seconds of speeded loading.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It helps with load times. Doesn't make the game run any faster, I don't think. In the Tweak3D guide they actually recommend against it.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It does not speed up load time. It does not even have anything to do with the load times.

You see, during gameplay, things are decompressed. I'm not a genius, so i can;t say what exactly. But, if you unpack it all, it will no longer decompress all of the stuff since it's allready there.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah but doesn't it go looking through the pak files during loadup of the maps?

I dunno, I'm no expert at Id engine functionality. All I know is that the Tweak3D guide was real detailed and on this subject they recommended against it only because it didn't make a great deal of difference.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, the other Doom 3 thread got closed. The next time this goes off-topic, or someone comes in and blatantly flames D3 with what I believe to be the intention to start a confrontation, gets a warning, and the thread gets closed, and Doom 3 discussion dies.

O.P.

Best answers
Just so you all know, I will be modding this thread. Any flaming, spamming, or off topic discussion will resort in a warn. If it continues after that I will close the thread and give whoever started and contibuted into closing the thread a warning also. Keep it on topic and keep it clean to keep this thread and any future Doom 3 talk.

As for me and Doom 3 I have not been playing it much since it got pretty much the same after a little bit. I am almost done with it and it is a good game and im glad it got such great attention, it lived up to its title for me.

Best answers
they could have spent some more time optimizing the game, but they wanted to get it out to the consumers. I'm sure if you thought about it, you'd rather wait that extra second each time you load, rather than wait 3 more months for them to fix it. They did the best they could in the time they had, that is why there are so many people searching for performance tweaks to pick up id's slack.

All in all, I think id did a great job at making doom what many people expected, a scary shoot-it-fast-before-it-eats-you game with nice graphics.

It has its share of problems as well in gameplay, the common dislike of random spawns, lack of flashlight/gun simultaneously, hit detection problems, and no dynamic AI. And all the doom 3 fans in the world cannot deny this is true, but most people look past that. I for one do not like that game at all, but I am not going to sit here and say it sucks. It is a perfectly fine game atmosphere and graphics wise and hooray for the people who like it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
all i have to say is....

break it down to funky town

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my default is medium and my comp can handle high without any trouble

im going through the game again though on the highest setting specifically for pictures.
very minor difference from high and very high. so theres not really much point in using well over 500mb of ram unless your doing it for pics. the testmap "lotsaimps" is good if you want to spawn a monster and do stuff with that. thats where i was in that particular picture with the very lovley disco darling.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, the whole performance proplems is a big crap out. Kind of sucks to go over to my friends and have his system fritz out, even though he has 512 MB of RAM and a 128MB 9800 pro card. They really should have done a bit more testing on the performance for different system types.

I give them credit on the lighting though, damn it is nice, but the flashlight and the guys hands look terrible. I have yet to see any game do good with the hands. Oh well.

Muiltiplayer is awful though. They really should have put more time into it, like come on. Right now it just sucks so much balls. Soemtimes you can't even get into servers, blah.

Also I think just minor proplems like it being all dark, and not being alowed to attack well useing the flashlight... like that just isn't realistic. Even today marines can see in the dark via nightvision and flashlights in helmets, etc, and they can fight back :/. Plus why is he so amazing, well all the other marines just flat out suck.

Thinking about it now, it is an alright game. But I don't think it is fantastic, like just so many things kind of get to you. Some like it, some don't. I defiantly fall into don't.

Good single player game, but I just don't see it holding out for as long as ID want's it too. They will make money, no doubt.

P.S. Is it just me or are those things you pick up as powerups for your fists just insanely stupid?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-[ZeniSlev]- said:
Yeah, the whole performance proplems is a big crap out. Kind of sucks to go over to my friends and have his system fritz out, even though he has 512 MB of RAM and a 128MB 9800 pro card. They really should have done a bit more testing on the performance for different system types.
Well, for years people have been complaining that there is no game that requires you to have the greatest system to play nicely with awesome graphics, and now when there is, they complain that they can't play it.

I give them credit on the lighting though, damn it is nice, but the flashlight and the guys hands look terrible. I have yet to see any game do good with the hands. Oh well.
They look fine to me ;o.

Muiltiplayer is awful though. They really should have put more time into it, like come on. Right now it just sucks so much balls. Soemtimes you can't even get into servers, blah.
Well, doom 3 is a singleplayer game. Multiplayer is just there because it's basically a requirement for every game.

Also I think just minor proplems like it being all dark, and not being alowed to attack well useing the flashlight... like that just isn't realistic. Even today marines can see in the dark via nightvision and flashlights in helmets, etc, and they can fight back :/. Plus why is he so amazing, well all the other marines just flat out suck.
Pay more attention to the game. You get the flashlight along with the pistol because the lights in the area you're going to are not working very well. This is the most advanced thing to human kind yet, so they didn't expect for the lights to go down all the time everywhere.

The reason he is so amazing is because he is the one that saves the human race. When you get to the tablets, look at them. It'll show a man holding the soul cube, like you, destroying the demons and sending them back to hell.

Thinking about it now, it is an alright game. But I don't think it is fantastic, like just so many things kind of get to you. Some like it, some don't. I defiantly fall into don't.
Sorry you don't like it, I wubs it along with a ton of other people.

P.S. Is it just me or are those things you pick up as powerups for your fists just insanely stupid?
Lol, that's a hilarious powerup. I love getting it, owns hell knights in 1 hit. If you played the original doom games (which I'm beginning to think you haven't), you'll see it's Berzerk.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've played Doom 1. Good game lol. I think alot of people still love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom