Coca Cola Light + Mentos = dead.

Best answers
It's called a chemical reaction.

A combustion reaction maybe.
Im fairly sure its not a combustion reaction. Im in chemistry... In order to have a Combustion reaction, i believe you need a hydrocarbon and oxygen. And that yields Water, CO2 and Oxygen. (not sure about the oxygen, i cant find my chem notes :/ )

But damn... what did the kid do?!? He swallow some mentos and drink a ****load of Diet coke?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wikipedia:

In November, 2006, the Urban Legends Reference Pages examined the rumors of people dying from eating Mentos and drinking cola. Their research found that while eating Mentos and drinking cola can result in people regurgitating the foamy result (as evinced by numerous online videos), no actual news accounts exist of anyone dying from it.
The chances of someone dieing from a mixture of Mentos and Coca Cola is extremely low, not to mention that there would be warnings about consuming the two.

As for the Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, it was loaded with numerous spelling/grammatical errors. It was also a few slides long, which if you ask me isn't enough to provide convincing evidence.

Best answers
Wikipedia:

The chances of someone dieing from a mixture of Mentos and Coca Cola is extremely low, not to mention that there would be warnings about consuming the two.

As for the Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, it was loaded with numerous spelling/grammatical errors. It was also a few slides long, which if you ask me isn't enough to provide convincing evidence.
lol, it was originally in serbian, Dan translated it to english, hence the spelling errors. D:

And it has a few slides because it was meant to be a forwarding ppt. :x

Anyway if the chances are extremely low, it doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe that kid (if that story or whatever is true) had a weaker organism he was born with, and they didn't consider that as a DISEASE "per se", so they scratched that part.

The fact of being able to barf because of consuming both products is enough for the coca-cola to slap a warning. I don't think that warning IS there, but it should be. Same goes for Mentos Company. I mean, how much trouble would it mean to do something like that? It's for the well-state of the consumers.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is no real chemical reaction so to speak. You should watch more mythbusters.

What happens in the case of mentos and soda is the pitted surface of the mentos releases additional gas bubbles into to soda causing massive expansion of the gas/soda mixture.

And since small confined place + massive amounts of liquid = burst
Hurray! Someone beat me to the punch with the voice of Mythbusters reason!

Best answers
I'm sure that if you were able to swallow enough Mentos (say 48?) and then follow up with a 2 litre of some beverage akin to Coca Cola or Pepsi, you could make someone REALLY SICK... But, I have my doubts about death... If the combination of the two were even potentially fatal, Mentos would probably be required to change the way they make their mints.

EDIT: Although, a Mortal Kombat game with the Mentos mint guy would be kinda funny... MINT-ALITY!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well quoting wikipedia

Deaths
In November, 2006, the Urban Legends Reference Pages examined the rumors of people dying from eating Mentos and drinking cola. Their research found that while eating Mentos and drinking cola can result in people regurgitating the foamy result (as evinced by numerous online videos), no actual news accounts exist of anyone dying from it.

Best answers
R.I.P mythological people i wish people were more considerate but you dead people where "mythological" i guess. But i sure as hell would never try it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha.

"Hmm, I'm hungry and thirsty. Hey look, there's some diet coke. Ooo, and mentos. I'm going to consume them both at the same exact time. WTF, my stomach exploded!!!"

Best answers
Haha.

"Hmm, I'm hungry and thirsty. Hey look, there's some diet coke. Ooo, and mentos. I'm going to consume them both at the same exact time. WTF, my stomach exploded!!!"
lol...

and how are u feeling now ? :D :rolleyes:

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well based upon the Mythbusters explanation, I'm led to believe you would have to swallow the Mentos whole in order to get a reaction, and I mean, they're not exactly small.

Best answers
Besides the inhumane stupidity of people Ive seen for myself what Coke And MIntos can do to a person. PLease don't try it. My friend ate some mentos then had coke.......and basically threw up everything in his stomach and kinda craped him self. So unless you want to throw up and crap your selfl go ahead and drink it.

Best answers
Besides the inhumane stupidity of people Ive seen for myself what Coke And MIntos can do to a person. PLease don't try it. My friend ate some mentos then had coke.......and basically threw up everything in his stomach and kinda craped him self. So unless you want to throw up and crap your selfl go ahead and drink it.
i agree...

this is a proove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgQ9kvLGXS8

Best answers
it's ok to eat mentos , but never drink cola ! pure water or natural juices are far better .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I tried it today. Exact thing I expected happened after all. Threw in 5 mentos in 1 liter of diet coke, created a fountain blah blah blah...but stop saying that the kid's stomach EXPLODED. It didn't. The actual death was caused by CHOKING. That gas accumulated in his stomach which messed up his breathing and he died of choking. If I did mention somewhere in this thread that the kid's stomach exploded, then I correct myself here. Nothing like that happened. The kid CHOKED.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know you could be warned for spam and moderator impersonation -.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom