Coca Cola Light + Mentos = dead.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
According to Alexander B. Mergenthaler, Proffesor of Chemistry Insitute
l’Institut USP (France), ingredients which exist in coca cola light such as
Acesulfame K INS930 mixed with the artificial aroma from the peppermint Mentos, create a lethal substance,Ta9V4.This substance releases gases until they explode.

From the file. Discuss.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The final slide just pissed me off... they got money growing out their asses and don't want to consider this case... this is bs!
Because it's their fault that this reaction happens when you mix them :rolleyes:

That would be like mixing iron oxide with aluminium, lighting it with a sparkler and then be like : "ZOMG I'll blame the metal industry because I burned myself with liquid metal".

But I feel sad for the kid, though.

Edit: And yea, the cause for the "reaction" is really juste the surface of the mentos. I guess you could do that with things that have a similar surface.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A explosive reaction wouldn't burst your stomach though.

Eat a hole maybe but unless you ate some explosives thats not gonna happen.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That would be like mixing iron oxide with aluminium, lighting it with a sparkler and then be like : "ZOMG I'll blame the metal industry because I burned myself with liquid metal".
But dude, this is a drink. A very popular drink, and a very popular peppermint. No one guarantees safety when using liquid metal, but there's absolutely no warnings whatsoever on Coke bottles that says "DO NOT MIX WITH MENTOS" or something. Every idiot with a bit of common sense won't play with liquid metal, because he knows it could be dangerous, and he probably got warned about it. But there are kids these days that drink Coke since they're 4 or 5 or something, so that presents a problem. You can't compare liquid metal with Coke and Mentos. You just can't.

Best answers
It doesn't though. There is no chemical reaction between sugar and more sugar that causes an explosion.

There is absolutely no true chemical reaction going on.
Sugar + sugar = no chemical reaction.

HOWEVER, gas + mentos' artificial aroma = Ta9V4. It's in the ppt, so I guess that is a chemical result. Could be wrong tho. D:
But dude, this is a drink. A very popular drink, and a very popular peppermint. No one guarantees safety when using liquid metal, but there's absolutely no warnings whatsoever on Coke bottles that says "DO NOT MIX WITH MENTOS" or something. Every idiot with a bit of common sense won't play with liquid metal, because he knows it could be dangerous, and he probably got warned about it. But there are kids these days that drink Coke since they're 4 or 5 or something, so that presents a problem. You can't compare liquid metal with Coke and Mentos. You just can't.
Very well said, I didn't know up until now that coke + menthos = a hole in your stomach. Luckily, they don't produce mentos in Peru so yay lol.

Best answers
There's been no proof of anyone dying from eating mentos + diet coke. The worst that'll happen is you'd burp up some foam.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
at most you may get a minor ulcer but unless your swallowing mentos at the same time as the diet pepsi (which isnt actually possible) it wont do much. proof?

stomach acid nearly immediately breaks down most of the C02 (carbonation) and alot of the other additives so when the nucleation is occured (scientific word for the bubbles coming from the candies pores, courtesy mythbusters) it doesnt make a huge reaction. at most a stomach ache or even a minor ulcer.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What episode was the mythbuster episode? I really want to see that one...

Best answers
at most you may get a minor ulcer but unless your swallowing mentos at the same time as the diet pepsi (which isnt actually possible) it wont do much. proof?

stomach acid nearly immediately breaks down most of the C02 (carbonation) and alot of the other additives so when the nucleation is occured (scientific word for the bubbles coming from the candies pores, courtesy mythbusters) it doesnt make a huge reaction. at most a stomach ache or even a minor ulcer.
Dude, the kid DIED. Besides, the gas expands until no more room is left in the stomache and drills a hole to come out, or so I've understood.

Best answers
Dude, the kid DIED. Besides, the gas expands until no more room is left in the stomache and drills a hole to come out, or so I've understood.
There's no proof of that. Grab an article from a respected news site and maybe we'll start to believe. Besides, your stomach is MUCH (read 100x) more likely to expel gas through your esophagus than to ... "explode".

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You'd puke far before it killed you. It's much easier to force a sphincter muscle open than to blow a pliable organ up. I call BS.

Best answers
According to Hyneman (he's the mustachioed MythBuster), it's a process called "nucleation," in which the particular chemistry of the Mentos candy interacts with the chemistry of the carbonated Diet Coke, causing the carbon dioxide gas, or CO2, to suddenly come out of suspension in the liquid and make a break for freedom.
From the article. I don't think you'd survive with Carbon Dioxide in your stomach... or can you? o_O

Best answers
Read properly before completely blamming my post.

I was pointing out with the "Or can you? o_O" part that I'm not sure, no need to mock me.

:EDIT:

Sorry I misread, I thought u wrote stomach = lungs and that u mocked my post :x

But now I remember != means "different from" in C++ D:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I meant show me an article of a kid dying from it.
The article was more for the people who don't know what causes the reaction.
And I don't believe anything would happen to your stomach, because it isn't like a closed container.
Gas would move up your oesophagus and into your intestine if the pressure got too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom