Character lag when joining another persons server

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I usually make my own servers because of this specific issue, but as tiring as it is to make my own server, then wait for people to join, I decided to see if I could get any help on this problem.

Whenever I join another persons server, although my ping will be low (30-50ms), my characters actions seem to have a 1 second delay in responding to when I actually hit the button for the character to do a specific action.

For example: Earlier today, I joined someones server and my ping was around 45-50ms. Whenever I tried to do anything with my character (dash, power up, try to use a ki blast or something), it wouldn't actually perform anything until about a second later. I'd hit the E button on my keyboard to power up, but my character won't power up until like a second later. I'll try and double tap my W key to dash forward, but he doesn't actually dash forward until a second after I the W key for the dash to work.

My ping is at ~50ms, yet its acting like its at 300ms.

Is this a normal issue for the ESF servers? Or is my Steam ph0kt?

Whenever I make my own server though, I have absolutely no issues at all. My character is responsive, and performs actions immediately after I hit the corresponding button on my keyboard.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
the only thing I can think of right now is perhaps your rates are messed up.

what are the following rates set to?
type these in the console(~ to open console) 1 at time pressing enter after each, that will show you its current value.

rate
cl_updaterate
cl_cmdrate

those are main settings that would effect performance, although there maybe other settings that could be causing problems.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The server that I joined when I got these values, my ping was at 39ms at the time.

rate was 30000
cl_updaterate was 20
cl_cmdrate was 30

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
rate 10000-20000
cl_updaterate 80-102
cl_cmdrate 80-102

try those, but remember higher may not always be better.

If that doesnt work, make a bkup of your config.cfg, then delete the one in the esf folder, the game should re-create the file next time you restart it.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should allso check for packet loss. Use the command net_graph 3 for that.

If its packet loss then its most probably a connection issue. Can be caused by firewally or just a bad connection to the server.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Appreciate the suggestions, but nothing seemed to help.

I tried to set the update/cmd rates manually, up to about ~90. I set the rate at around 20000 as well. Still seemed to have the the problem.

Deleted the config file as well, but again, no go.

I also checked the packet loss settings on the server I was on, and didn't have any packet losses either. My ping was at around 47ms too.

I'll go ahead and see if my firewall is causing the issue. Are there any known issues with Kaspersky and ESF though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom