Blocking an Option in Adv. Melee

Best answers
Some type of block function for advanced melee could be implemented. Just a quick elaboration:
--Holding the block button will toggle Block, releasing it will disable it (indicated by something, a "B" above the arrows maybe?), and while holding you input the correct direction as you would normally. The strength of the punch (light, med., strong) determines the % chance to actually block (ex: 10%, 30%, 40%, increases slightly with PL?). Failing to block will deal increased damage from the subsequent hit, and failing to block a strong hit will decrease your combo time (the power from the hit stuns you), so continually blocking is less wise than not blocking at all.
--However, if you succeed in blocking the attack:
a) Light - The attack is shrugged off (no damage taken), melee continues normally.
b) Medium - You take decreased damage from the blocked attack, melee continues normally.
c) Strong Only - Any subsequent attacks will be negated (that sort of a "you-catch-his-punch-and-take-the-offensive" type of deal) and you will get your turn to counter-attack.
In order for the block to work you must have the correct direction, (so you can't just bypass the multi-directional arrows, you gotta get it right still), you have the option of chancing a block.
--Note: I use increased and decreased as opposed to actual integers so to keep the focus on the concept and not the numeral detail. The only numbers used are examples, to show the general trend or increment.

Best answers
If you block when you're melee'd

• Prepunching does less damage
  • Combo time is reduced a lot
  • You cannot be thrown.

I think that's enough benefit.

Best answers
You mean thrown as in launched if it's the last hit?

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
No, he means when you hold right click during the pre-punch and you grab theopponent and swing them around and throw them.

Best answers
Well then he must not have read the post very well because I'm talking about after the prepunch sequence, while in Advanced Melee mode.

Best answers
hehe i was just about to say that... I like the idea. It has balanced advantages and disadvantages.

Best answers
So was I. As I said, blocking (among other things) reduces the combo time the attacker has, meaning he can't link as many attacks together.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mystic Snidely said:
If you block when you're melee'd
  • Prepunching does less damage
  • Combo time is reduced a lot
  • You cannot be thrown.
I think that's enough benefit.
Amen. Besides that fact, though, it should also be noted that what you said, is basically what we have now by hitting the proper arrows...minus the whole "holding the extra button to initialize tons of complex math" part. I don't really see how that differs from the current system other than the negative impact of having to hit and hold the button throughout.

Best answers
omg... ok guys lets draw this out in crayon. When you get prepunched you go into either throw, or combo mode. When you go into combo mode you have the option of making up a combo... you follow? Good. Great. Grand. What he is proposing is during this -rumored- combo mode, when you hold block, plus the arrow of the opponents attack, you will block it instead of dodge. Get it? Cuz i mean i can dumb this down and simplify it yet again for you if needed.

Best answers
im sorry... just dont see how you mods can tolerate the lack of common sense in the forums... i mean you guys have to be pulling your hairs out of your head now. I mean god...

just so im not totally *****ing, i think the blocking should be the same as the dodging except a mild stun when hit by a strong attack and the reduced damage. I also think that the blocking too much consequence isnt needed either. You can dodge all the time, why couldnt you block all the time too?

Best answers
because that causes spam, and if you can block and have other positive effects from it, then what would be the point of dodge? I'm trying to pose a balanced alternative, not a replacement.

Best answers
well if you can dodge all the time with NO side effects, what would be the point of blocking? see my point? If you do what your doing with the blocking then i think they should make dodging just a tad bit harder. Mabye more randoms with dodging than with blocking. Some of this being influenced by pl of course. That way there will be skill and power needed to do both...

Best answers
Tetsudah said:
well if you can dodge all the time with NO side effects, what would be the point of blocking?
To catch that Strong punch or kick, which would stop their subsequent combination and allow you a counter-attack. Which is why I said that a few things needed to be toyed with for optimum effect (ex: both medium and strong having % chance to stop the subsequent attack, and whether or not blocking a light should deal any damage at all).

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just don't like the idea of messing with the system anymore. If you take some time to get to know the new melee you can find the little points in it where the stuff you talked about really isn't needed. Blocking as is is still blocking. It can't be spammed anymore than it was in 1.1 and that wasn't that bad at all.

Best answers
Must not have read the initial post thoroughly, as this has NOTHING to do with the current block, does not affect it, modify it, or anything of the such.

One of the reasons I proposed this is because in the series they didn't just dodge all day, they blocked as well. I can't just say, "Hey, they should block too," because then it's just an aesthetic change, so I proposed some way to implement a blocking system that differs from dodging.
Variety is key.

Best answers
blocking during adv. melee could be usefull since some hits can't be dodge, IF say a strong hit connected and was followed and linked with those two weak attack special combos. Although, ( IMO ) I would rather avoid the attack all together and on top of that get some "combo time" back.

edit: read the post again, I think thats a good idea since you'll have more of a chance to counter attack but at the same time you could be countered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom