Apple iPad

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Anyone going to get one of these? I'm thinking about getting the low-end one for my Mum as a computer to use around the house. She currently uses a thinkpad from work, so this might be a more exciting and simple way to browse the web and check email.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personaly, I would wait for nVidia's tablet-ish thing. Based on the Tegra-processor. To me, this seems just like an overpriced-oversized iPhone.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It -is- pretty much an oversized iPhone/iTouch, but with modified components updated specifically for the iPad. I can see a lot of corporate users buying this, as well as people who are constantly on the move. But for everyone else, the iPad doesn't offer anywhere near the flexibility as a regular laptop/tablet (running a non-mobile OS).

I can't imagine a higher-end computer user ever buying one of these besides some exceptions here and there.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personaly, I would wait for nVidia's tablet-ish thing. Based on the Tegra-processor. To me, this seems just like an overpriced-oversized iPhone.
I don't see how this is overpriced in any way. I think it's priced perfectly.

I'm not going to get one, but it looks ****ing sexy.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, the iPad's price is pretty unbelievable. I can't believe they just admit that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Getting closer and closer to those Star Trek pads.

Data Technician
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
IMO it's an oversized iPod Touch.. And since i already owns a iPod touch I'm not going to by it.. Besides, my laptop can to waaaay more than a iPad can :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have recently discovered something...all you PC users are a bunch of whiney *****es.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The photographer where I work is getting one asap, he wants it as basically his carry around portfolio, I've seen quite a few comments online from other image based proffessionals thinking the same thing.

If you could use photoshop on it, I'd get it, but since you can't, I'll pass, until I hear of a painting app, then i'll see.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have recently discovered something...all you PC users are a bunch of whiney *****es.
I haven't seen too much winning. The link Optional posted has ridiculous reasons for being to aggressively against the iPad, but I would never find a reason to own an iPad as of now. I have a Macbook Pro which works great, and when I do not have that I have the very-capable iPod Touch to go on the internet, watch movies, listen to music, play games, etc. The iPad seems like an unnecessary bridge between the two. Skiwan makes a good point for portfolio use, and I do think there are sound reasons to own this, but mostly esoteric ones if you ask me.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So let me get this straight, you want me to purchase something my iphone can do, and if my iphone can't, my laptop can? No thanks.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
considering you can get laptops the same size (and some smaller) for cheaper, whats the point? my laptop does everything it offers, but gives me an OS i can actually install what i want on it and lets me actually do work in my time. all its got going for it is a bigger screen really, and who wants to cart around a plane of glass?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Stephen Fry is awesome, but the guy has an actual Gaydar on his iPhone (Don't believe me? Try to find the Top Gear interview with him), I'd hardly call him a reliable source. I just checked some of the specs. You pay 499 dollars for a 10-ish inch touchscreen, a 1ghz processor that handles both the CPU and the GPU part, WiFi-enabled and 16GB of storage. What the hell, 1ghz, makes it damn weak, the weakest Intel Atom processor-enabled Netbooks are faster than that these days...and at least they something you could call a GPU. And only 16GB's for that price makes it WAAAAY overpriced. Especially since you are stuck with the iPhone OS. Although somebody is bound to hack the thing and get either OSX, Windows or Linux working on it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I looked at the specs on the website and you can run windows on it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom