★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most of u are harsh (no affence) but LIKE TOTTALY COOL

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
Exactly how is that supposed to negatively effect the forum?
On the flip side, some of you tend to be overly assertive and pompous in situations that don't require any hard-assedness. Sometimes you are just plain rude. If you don't want criticism, don't ask. Really. I like ET, but what he said sounds like he's some cult member all drugged up. It's just plain odd. I'm not going to sugar coat my words just because it's a family tradition here.

Best answers
A lot of the Mods i didn't even know were mods at all
i thought they were just other users.
Weird

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sometimes you have to act like a hard ass because people that come off as arrogant over the internet are harder to get the message to. Sugar coating is a fact of life; politicians do it, parents do it, relatives do it, and nice people in general tend to lean towards it. That isn't a moderating flaw, that's a person's character. There's no reason to attack it, and that you defended yourself from Alea by quoting somebody who was almost given a warning in this thread for the way he was dealing with it came off as just showy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
and that you defended yourself from Alea by quoting somebody who was almost given a warning in this thread for the way he was dealing with it came off as just showy.
Many mods also have to make some sort of snide last word comment that isn't really necessary, considering they are "sugar coating" everything and being so polite, such as yourself. Are they trying to show superiority, or what? Is that what the moderating team is for? Not from your definition, it would seem to me.

If you acknowledge that I am "defending" myself then shouldn't they be given a warning for flaming? Favoritism also comes into play a lot.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since we can handle this on aim get it back on topic.

Best answers
Well, for the most part I find most of the mods to be mild mannered and "normal" people. I find some to be a bit rude at times, and others that do leave a little "comment" ( I wont go into detail on that, i'm sure most know what I mean ) when they close a thread, as if to show off that they just won the arguement because they can end it whenever they see fit (at least to the publics eye).

Anyway, overall good job by the staff.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Generally speaking, the moderation staff consists of human beings (with the possible exception of Hibiki, who is a freak of nature) some times we loose our temper, sometimes we get insulted, sometimes the people of this forum push us a bit too far. We cannot be perfect, asking perfection of us is asinine. Using imperfection against us because you were "wronged" in the past is also foolish, as it serves no true purpose but revenge and restoring face.

Still, for all these alleged wrongs, my email box remains empty, and my PM box littered with a smattering of GMan here, a dash of Ice Man there, and perhaps a pinch of Alea. I see no reported post on moderators . . . no poignant examples of abuse.

If you have these problems, why isn't the senior staff notified?

I understand that some of you don't believe in "senior staff" and that we are infact, all callous Nazi, egocentric, candy coating, controlling, and oh yes utterly human moderators. But the fact of the matter is, I don't here from you when a mod abuses you. I find 10 closed threads, or a thread with a flame war. That's when things become unneccesarily ugly.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GMan said:
Yes, I think it sounds dumb. Who else would I be speaking for?

What concern of yours is it if I want to give my opinion? Are you negating my opinion or something? I'm sure you'd love that ability, but fact is people out there smarter than you can think for themselves, thanks.

Well, feel free to attack me, I don't really care. This is all I have to say..
Quoting Halorin was funny. You weren't expressing your opinions, you were flaming a good mod, Evil Trunks, for "Sugar coating"? That isn't an opinion on his performance as a mod, which is the intention of this thread, you were idiotically trying to insult him. And I'm sure people smarter than me can think for themselves, but unfortunately for you, you are not one of them.

You made an utter ass out of yourself, and for what? To insult a mod who not many have grudges against about the usage of his vernacular?

Like I said, you seriously need to get over yourself.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
>.< Warning to Alea for staying off topic after this was taken care of. Let's not get back on one of these argument runs again.

Best answers
I would just like to see some uniformality in terms of discipline and 'keeping it clean.' I've seen plenty of times where some posts where the mods seem to be 'joking around' where absolutely anything goes. Spam, off-topicness, sheer stupidity, the works. Nothing happens there. But it seems either at random or by selection to the point of near harassment, I'll see a mod go into a thread and be like, "Now it's time to enforce the rules, though I'm going to break them next post when I'm goofing off."

You want to have yourselves seen as 'one of the guys,' then don't turn around and give out a warning because someone pals around with you back. I remember catching a warning from a mod in an off-topic thread I made because he said my clan did ballerina and I replied by calling him a noob. So he can joke around with me initially, but if I say anything in play in response, I get slammed? What the hell is that about? I've sent complaints to Cuc about it. I've talked to other mods. Have I received any word on what happened? Have I been told my warning was lifted? Not at all.

Being a mod or an admin doesn't make you a better person, and it really ticks me off when you guys use your privelege as sheer leverage to win arguments you've gotten yourselves into on a playing level of a regular forum goer. It's almost outrageous.

I'll have Cucumba IM me out of nowhere and take up an hour of my time about a two-week old issue that I pretty much forgotten about, and then he'll block me when I'm in mid-retort because I'm not telling him what he wants to hear.

You guys do an alright job some of the time, but you come off like outright jerks who just want to take your bad day out on someone at random the rest of it. A lot of saving face, a lot of intended harassment and selective calling out. A lot of immaturity.

You're a moderator. You're an admin. You aren't better.

My advice: Adhere to the rules you enforce. Lead by example. "Do as I say, not as I do" just does not float in forum moderation, but it seems to be the consistent motto with a lot of mods and otherwise.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol... this is stupid, just post what you think about moderators/admins. thats what the thread for, your not going to get into trouble for posting your opinion. if the moderator/admin has something to say about your opinion, then dont go ahead and argue, just leave it be.

no one should have to respond to someones opinion, since thats what the thread is asking for.... so lets leave it be?

Best answers
MyStiX said:
lol... this is stupid, just post what you think about moderators/admins. thats what the thread for, your not going to get into trouble for posting your opinion. if the moderator/admin has something to say about your opinion, then dont go ahead and argue, just leave it be.

no one should have to respond to someones opinion, since thats what the thread is asking for.... so lets leave it be?
So you're basically saying that we, the forum goers, need to be the bigger people than the actual people who were appointed to be the bigger people? Don't respond to their wanting to argue? Um.. It shouldn't be us doing the babysitting or the one having to step out first with a spot of maturity.

I posted my opinion earlier in a comedic manner like I was running for mod, and I got warned by Deverz because he misunderstood who I was actually talking to. (The general public, not him.) So much for my opinion not getting me in trouble, eh?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't want to shoot down any of your points, Hal, as I am sure there must be some validity in all of them. However, I think you may be generalizing to some measurable extent. I find it very difficult to believe that every single member of the moderating staff has done an act that is so intolerably outrageous as far as abuse goes. That's not to say all of them have a clean slate, but I don't think that every moderator is guilty of abuse in the magnitude that your post suggests.

On that note, I have yet to find a day when I think I'm better than anyone. Each person who has spoken to me should be able to vouch for me when I say that my self-esteem is below the floor.

But, I cannot deter you from posting your opinion. If that is how you feel, I will not dispute it. However, I just want it noted that I don't like it when the implication is made that the entire staff is guilty of specific "offences". Then again, I don't think it's all that polite to name names....so there must be a comfy median to this.

Best answers
No, I don't mean to say that all of the mods are like that, but I'm sure if you took the time to look through, you'd be able to draw your own conclusions. It's kind of hard to not generalize when you don't want to point fingers. I'm trying to voice my opinion without getting warned or worse for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well then report it. deverz isnt the only forum admin here.

all im saying is that the thread is for peoples opinions, if you cant express your opinion without getting a warning, then theres obviously a problem, and when theres a problem, then the thread dies

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin said:
So you're basically saying that we, the forum goers, need to be the bigger people than the actual people who were appointed to be the bigger people? Don't respond to their wanting to argue? Um.. It shouldn't be us doing the babysitting or the one having to step out first with a spot of maturity.

I posted my opinion earlier in a comedic manner like I was running for mod, and I got warned by Deverz because he misunderstood who I was actually talking to. (The general public, not him.) So much for my opinion not getting me in trouble, eh?
May I ask what you're talking about? "Need to be bigger people than the actual people who were appointed to be the bigger people" ? Hal you have a history of breaking rules and harassing moderators. It's strange how whenever you say something that offends someone lately it just 'happens' to be a joke after we warn you for it. Perhaps you should think about how it's going to sound to us before you post if it feels like we're watching you.

You said what you did in a mannor that either came off as rude or offensive, and with your history we don't really have a great reason to believe you didn't intend it that way. You can't just pass everything off as a joke. You responded like this in another thread a couple of days ago when you made some kind of rude sarcastic remark like "I was just complimenting him for reitterating what I said. I guess I shouldn't do that?" If you're really just messing around clear that up before we warn you. Stop acting like we're warning you for having an opinion. We're warning you because what you're saying can be interpreted as rude or too far off the mark.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MyStiX said:
then theres obviously a problem, and when theres a problem, then the thread dies
Instead of fixing the problem, mind you.

The most annoying thing is the moderator that starts some crap with you, then warns you for replying. HELLO?

Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
May I ask what you're talking about? "Need to be bigger people than the actual people who were appointed to be the bigger people" ? Hal you have a history of breaking rules and harassing moderators. It's strange how whenever you say something that offends someone lately it just 'happens' to be a joke after we warn you for it. Perhaps you should think about how it's going to sound to us before you post if it feels like we're watching you.

You said what you did in a mannor that either came off as rude or offensive, and with your history we don't really have a great reason to believe you didn't intend it that way. You can't just pass everything off as a joke. You responded like this in another thread a couple of days ago when you made some kind of rude sarcastic remark like "I was just complimenting him for reitterating what I said. I guess I shouldn't do that?" If you're really just messing around clear that up before we warn you. Stop acting like we're warning you for having an opinion. We're warning you because what you're saying can be interpreted as rude or too far off the mark.
This is a prime example of what I'm talking about. How is this on-topic at all. If I happen to continue this side-conversation with you, you'll tell me not to go off-topic, when it wasn't even me who drove off the path. If you want to try to reprimand me, why not send me a PM? But, in response, I'll be sure to put a disclaimer on all of my posts saying whether or not I'm joking, just to satisfy this freshly made stipulation.

And to answer your initial question, Sonic, I was replying to Mystix's post advising regular members to not argue back with moderators, like we're supposed to be the 'bigger' people about the issue.

I posted my opinion in both a joking and then a serious way. There's no need to argue about it. It's done. Read it. Like it or don't, but please don't try to start an argument only to warn me for not 'backing down.'

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol its impossible to fix the problem when theres people like you and halorin who just dont give up. :rolleyes: and both of you know it... oooooh you know it :p

all joking aside... somethings gotta be done about this thread. its just a bunch of argueing :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom