3D Studio Max, Low poly tutorial.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i upgraded to max 7 and it has everything that max 6 does, and much more. =/

so you should have no problems

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes there is. right click - other - facets and highlights.

Best answers
Thanks alot i havent put these into effect yet beacause im not home and this is my first time seeing them but they look very helpfull but do you think you could post the leg pics and maybe head because im not making a character from the show but its the same phisique anyway.

and how do you make clothes?....

Best answers
Hey, Gir :D

Thanks for this tutorial man, I owe you one hell of a bushel of blueberrys.

I wanted to come here to the ESF Forums, just to thank you for this, and to introduce myself to you ;)

I am Tesla, Mapper of Testbase for the Dark Forces MOD, I used to be called Solomander, if you ever posted on the filefront forums and saw my name :D
(asked for a metal texture tutorial)

Well, with that aside, wanted to say I met came here through Corto (Great guy.)
I do hope you continue this tutorial, so it covers all those things noobs can't ever seem to do on there own, :D

Again, nice to meet you. (wasn't a pleasure in this fashion although.)

:idea: To answer your question over there, yes about the facets *too lazy to quote*
Go under the toolbar at the top.
Customize->Viewport Configuration->Rendering Method ;)

And b4 I go, thanks to your tutorial, *complete noob, but I learn really fast*
Was able to craft this :D enjoy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/jadewolf77/untitlefafd.jpg

*wasn't sure the best way to make contact you publicly, your agustinlavia.com/lee site, seems to be a bit in progress or dead, and I am quite interested in ECF.

Best answers
why cant i see the reference when i use facesets and highlights?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tesla said:
Hey, Gir :D

Thanks for this tutorial man, I owe you one hell of a bushel of blueberrys.

I wanted to come here to the ESF Forums, just to thank you for this, and to introduce myself to you ;)

I am Tesla, Mapper of Testbase for the Dark Forces MOD, I used to be called Solomander, if you ever posted on the filefront forums and saw my name :D
(asked for a metal texture tutorial)

Well, with that aside, wanted to say I met came here through Corto (Great guy.)
I do hope you continue this tutorial, so it covers all those things noobs can't ever seem to do on there own, :D

Again, nice to meet you. (wasn't a pleasure in this fashion although.)

:idea: To answer your question over there, yes about the facets *too lazy to quote*
Go under the toolbar at the top.
Customize->Viewport Configuration->Rendering Method ;)

And b4 I go, thanks to your tutorial, *complete noob, but I learn really fast*
Was able to craft this :D enjoy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/jadewolf77/untitlefafd.jpg

*wasn't sure the best way to make contact you publicly, your agustinlavia.com/lee site, seems to be a bit in progress or dead, and I am quite interested in ECF.

well, this is a shocker =O one of Corto's buds coming to my tutorials instead of to him hahaha. thanks very much, thats a huge compliment. and, i love the work you guys have done over at the DF mod. its pretty damned impressive. my site isnt dead, its just not too active. so if you do join, be sure to bring friends D:

as for this tutorial. i doubt i will work on it anymore, as if people can get through it, and not model legs on their own, then chances are, they wont get anywhere =/

i will be doing a video tutorial though. just not sure when XD

EDIT: TRSS - are you using Gmax?

Best answers
Great, you know I was always scared of you on filefront forums ;)

I was like, ZOMG!!! (eye Steelz werdz) Dun wunna pewst, skerdz of teh Almighty Gir.

Best answers
no im using 3ds max 7....

i probably can model the rest on my own but i just need a picture of the legs not just for the program but i also enjoy drawing dbz and those are a hellava tutor

posting the head would be a plus but im not making anyone from the show im making my character

Best answers
I recommend importing a glm, and taking the hips you like, then press alt+x on the hips, match them up just right, then you have a good 3d template to model you legs and hips from ;)

I am using the clonespac model.glm for my hips as I think they are very well done, along with the fact the legs look similar to the steel greaves look I am trying to achive.

Also, Corto uses XSI I think, he only remembers so much from max.

Best answers
how come i cant use the little coordinate move tool anymore..
every time i use move i have to drag the mose on the vertex instead of pulling the arrow

edit: its doin that on the rotate too

Best answers
i know now but it still makes me feel stupid....
but how come now when i pan my image disappears and turns into boxes

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
press o (i think). its to do with the realtime rendering, you can turn it off during pan/rotate functions. my advice is to google up on the Max quick keys, and learn what they all do.

i did that after dropping my keyboard and wondering why everything was all messed up =/

Best answers
....lol im stupid but does this mean no leg pics

edit: why dosn't it ask me if i wanna keep my vertices when i delete my polygon on the first step of the arm tut

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I COMPLETELY forgot how to do this but..

My Plane is all blury, I know I asked this before but I forgot. How do I do this again?

Best answers
why must you kill my dream, dream killer

edit: it seemed funny at the time

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
why must you spam, >_>

try to keep your posts relevant to the topic, we got enough jumbled up stickies here as is

Best answers
hmmm havent been here in ages but Mr.Ray directed me here for some 1337 tutorialage.

Now im pretty sure ive done something wrong by posting in this thread but D: if ive done something wrong..

Now im kinda stuck on this tutorial, so its something wrong with me because everyone else seems to be able to click and get it instantly from the replys ive seen to this thread. I think i just dont have the ability to think in 3d :S I know it sounds strange but ive kinda modeled guns for ages and it may have deminshed my ability tbh. (Talking complete Bs there).

But anyway to the problem.
"now, using the above technique of moving vertecies and edges, (and adding a couple more edges) we create a better sense of the shaper we are looking for, using the perspective viewport to look around and check how the mesh looks in realtime, rather than just front or side on.ive also circled the instance where ive created a triangle. you may have noticed that so far everything is in quad polygons (4 sided) this is very helpful for later when we come to uvw map, and texture. it also helps keep the flow clean. but sometimes you need an odd triangle here or their. to do this i used target weld. simply use the polygon edit tools, right click the mesh and select target weld, click the first vertex, then click the vertex you want to weld it to. carry on with these techniques to get a better shape.
http://img82.exs.cx/img82/628/105sh.jpg"

I get that easy, creating new edges with edge connect, moving them in and making them to fit the entire Ref. Problem is i see the next bit and i feel like i have completely missed out on something because the pecks are finished, the abs are done. Everything looks really gewd. Is there any chance someone could give me some advice/the actual model so that i can look what he has done and how he has done it/A picture of the entire body after the above stated point so that i can look what he has done to it :S

Here is a picture of what ive done so you can compare or something
http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/5850/example8uc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom