3D Studio Max, Low poly tutorial.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm...Hate to bug, but I've seen this tutorial around for a long time, and there's nothing on making the head yet...is this topic dead? I have a way to make a head, but it requires a LOT of tweaking and the result doesn't seem very accurate to DBZ in my opinion. I'm trying to make characters fuly animatable for video and such.

Best answers
Well, I tried this and my 3DS Max R2 doesn't have the "Plane" option. Is there any alternative to the Plane thing?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wow! where did you manage to get a copy of R2?! thats awsome, even Gmax is more advanced!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL! Really? The only thing I know that sucks more than GMax is Milkshape...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
LOL! Really? The only thing I know that sucks more than GMax is Milkshape...

-_- you might should shut the **** up, you?re giving god damit unneeded comments upon this whole ****!

Milkshape is a great Programm, you better should go and model on, befor your leaving any **** comment on it, your doing here some stuff and your thinking your some great over here because you got used to 3dsm, damn shut the **** up! you dont even know how compact ms3d is, you just was freakn bored and didnt knew how to use ms3d or maybe just got bored out of it, but for example SV, tell him that, he would be insultet, because it would mean that his work sucks! so go and hold your mouth!

although who cares aobut that -_-"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TryForce said:
-_- you might should shut the **** up, you?re giving god damit unneeded comments upon this whole ****!
Talking of unneeded...

Warning for flames. :warning: TryForce, if he doesn't like MilkShape then that's his oppinion, you don't need to flame him for it.

Best answers
Yes, I know R2 is old, I got it from my dad. So are you saying I'm doomed to get Milkshape or Gmax?....or worse yet, get a more advanced 3D Studio Max?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you already have a (legal) copy of an old 3DSMax version, then I think you only have to pay a small fee to upgrade to the higher versions.

Best answers
hey, i'm following your tutorial, and i noticed this step in the 1st post

" now, were going to mirror this half, as an instance, this will allow us to work on one half, while the other stays an exact replica. you can also have one instance transparrent, and the other not. so you can see how it looks smoothed up whilest editing... ive circled the mirror tool. upon pressing it, a box will appear, asking for what type of mirror. select instance. from now on, we will only be working on the transparrent half. your screen should look like this.
http://img22.exs.cx/img22/521/81cl.jpg "

now me being a noob and all, i dont know what all the tools do, but you forgot to circle the mirror tool, and tell us that we want to choose "Y". (i found the tool and chose "Y", i'm guessing thats what you intended)

just correcting a small error! you might wanna reword/add on to not confuse nubs like me! :laff:

Its difficult right now but i really want to learn this!

Best answers
I'm up to connecting the arm to the body....but it won't do it...I dont know why...the vertices on the ARM will only read itself...but not the vertices on the torso, when using target weld. Can you help?

Best answers
first you gotto attach the arm to the body. Select arm and in 'edit geometry' menu, hit attach.then click the body.done.. now you can select both the vertexes on the body and the arm..after that its welding time.. yaddayaddayadda

Best answers
sven-da-man said:
first you gotto attach the arm to the body. Select arm and in 'edit geometry' menu, hit attach.then click the body.done.. now you can select both the vertexes on the body and the arm..after that its welding time.. yaddayaddayadda

I did dat already but I still cant attach even one vertex from the arm to the body....i feel like now i have to start all ova...and i really dont want to...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you, per se, delete the polys capping the area inside the verts you want to weld? to weld a vertex in this situation, the vertices have to have at least one point where it is not connected to a face. If it is surrounded by other polys, unless it's part of the same local mesh, it won't weld. Hard to explain throug words. I'd rather show you, but its late and my gears are grinding down...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
YOUNGFACEHOV, Post a pic explaining ur situation.
What J-Dude said is probably the case.
You have to delete the polygons capping off the arms and shoulders

Best answers
ShadyD said:
YOUNGFACEHOV, Post a pic explaining ur situation.
What J-Dude said is probably the case.
You have to delete the polygons capping off the arms and shoulders

i know about that too I been done that...but anyways....I managed to connect it after hours of fiddling I was able to create polygons between the two in editable mesh mode so I ended up switching back and fourth until I got that....now....It all rigged! the whole model is smooth except the shoulder part! I tried correcting it but it came bout bad...so I didnt save it and this is what Im left with......

note...i didnt follow the steps he had to creat the arm...I used the same cylinder method that was used for the body....

another thing....earlier on I made an error and had to delete the mirrored half...so I fig later when I'm done with this half I"ll just mirror again...only thing is.....how do i get both halves' center vertecies to line up perfectly and attatch to eachother?

I just want to finish this model so I can go on with my MOD.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
for the smoothing shoulder, Select polygon mode , scroll down to polygon properties. Check which number(s) is(are) missing and click it(them). This should fix it, if not than the vertices are probably not welded.

As for the mirror, its really easy, just select the mirror modifier, collapse all, convert to editible poly > border mode > select the 2 huge gaps in the center. Right click > Convert to vertex > weld (might have to change value a bit)
Hope that made sense.. Its easier than it sounds :yes:

Best answers
I started a new one.....heres wat i did....i know wat my trouble spots are so far....the SHOULDERS, once again, and the groin area front to back...now i need to learn how to make hands....I might just start all over again and just us a box instead...and just extrude all the limbs from it....i feel that would be much easier and im getting impatient....lol unless someone can give me some pointers on how i can finish it perfect.....

I actually realized I got way more errors...I'm goin to make him ONCE MORE....im going to keep it simple this time though..lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmmm i make the shoulders like i make the breast muscles widder on the top an then extrude to make the arms, kinda like that.... nice model btw!

edit: wait here ill make you a draw over

k here ya go:

about hands, uhmmmm simply extrude them and redefinde them poly by poly, helps. Use the cut tools n all other ones.

Best answers
PiXel said:
hmmm i make the shoulders like i make the breast muscles widder on the top an then extrude to make the arms, kinda like that.... nice model btw!

edit: wait here ill make you a draw over

k here ya go:

about hands, uhmmmm simply extrude them and redefinde them poly by poly, helps. Use the cut tools n all other ones.

well i dont think it is...(im really a perfectionist lol) but thanks im going to do the body over using your technique....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom