Zeq2 lite has released their version!

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since this week, every update is announced on the blog/discussion forum topic 'SVN Progress' :)

Indeed, only the devs can commit changes. Other people can just see what's been changed and update to the last stable revision shown in my topic/blog.
Thanks, am off to try it out.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I fail to see what this has to do with gameplay experience when playing online on a server entirely.

The fact that all servers are completely flooded with OMG SSJ542@#%@%@#% and all of the other AF stuff. The base game isn't that fun to play. I mean its cool that its stand alone and all but the game needs a better community to play with. Half the time when I played against people in the original build it was beat some kids ass then get flamed on the forum because of it. Then I have a chance to get banned from the game perm because of that. SUCH A GOOD GAME.

Legerdemain Cheese Spread
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
ZEQ2 is boring. honestly.... hardly any multi-player servers work on the game. they couldnt even add bots to it? so i dont get completely ******* bored of it!

Best answers
The fact that all servers are completely flooded with OMG SSJ542@#%@%@#% and all of the other AF stuff. The base game isn't that fun to play. I mean its cool that its stand alone and all but the game needs a better community to play with. Half the time when I played against people in the original build it was beat some kids ass then get flamed on the forum because of it. Then I have a chance to get banned from the game perm because of that. SUCH A GOOD GAME.
You were talking about pb1 where everyone had all these addons. This is not the case in the new build with the new official models.

I agree I HATED the addons and all those silly AF GT things.

---------- Double Post below was added at 12:55 AM has been merged with this post created 12:54 AM ----------

It's full of servers and real players..What are you talking about?:p

Legerdemain Cheese Spread
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
you know exactly what i am talking about...

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
In any case what im interested in is. Did they change the melee system?
If not, then i wont even bother trying it out.
Absolutely no disrespect or accusations intended, but you do realize that ESF's presently shown melee system is no different at a core mechanical level than ZEQ2-Lite's placeholder/existing one aside from a gratuitous amount of (well-done) animations/effects on ESF's part.

Overall though to be quite critical/honest, ZEQ2-lite is still at a sandbox stage of development as far I can tell. Yes, there are some nifty visualizations that have been added, supplimental voice sounds, and (mild) work done on the camera system, but the core gameplay itself is largely unbalanced and only snowballs for the most part. The power struggles have no real depth of play, melee (while reverted to a simplified state) doesn't have much versatility/tact, and general play-styles usually single to avoiding conflicting while overpowering until you are at a state where other players offer little or no contest.

All in all, it has the foundation/barebones (ESPECIALLY with the configuration files) to be something exciting, unique, and actually competitive/fun/strategic; it's just not there yet.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You weren't actually comparing Zeq2 with Esf, right? :/
Although Zeq2 has some potential it still has a long way to go, as you said.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't play potential.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Absolutely no disrespect or accusations intended, but you do realize that ESF's presently shown melee system is no different at a core mechanical level than ZEQ2-Lite's placeholder/existing one aside from a gratuitous amount of (well-done) animations/effects on ESF's part.
It may seem like that, but i can assure you that all 3 of our melee systems are based off of the ESF 1.0 simple melee system design. And thats quite different from what i saw in ZEQ2. Our throw and combo melee subsystems are nothing more than a simple melee hit with an extended animation time. What i saw in ZEQ2 was a lot closer to what they did in DBS. Though your way of doing it wins hands down compared to that.

Though it could be just the forced lock on that gave me that feeling.

And sorry if i came over a bit to rude with my previous comment. Its just that i dislike the idea that you have to be locked on to do any melee at all :s

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
You weren't actually comparing Zeq2 with Esf, right? :/
Although Zeq2 has some potential it still has a long way to go, as you said.
First and foremost surely you are refering to ZEQ2-lite and not ZEQ2. They are two completely separate projects with two completely different development teams / design goals.

No, I was making no direct comparison between the projects. Although by the tonality of your response, it's almost as if you personally put ESF on some pedestal of greatness that other DBZ games are all trying to reach -- which by the way is ridiculously preposterous and bias.

While I'm sure ESF has spurred on some other creations like DBZHood or DBSource, ZEQ2 was originally an abasement from an entirely different and much older community-set that originally found ties/influences as more of a BFP/DBQ successor.

Obviously this mindset has changed, but it's incredibly lacking and foolhardy to not consider ESF and ZEQ2 with similar seniority given that both have been around almost the same amount of time (few years apart) and given that several of ESF's 'new' artists that have helped improve it's next generation graphics were former ZEQ2 developers.

I can't play potential.
Of course not, but playing has never been the goal.

The big, BIG reason why Grega, myself, and other developers from both projects have continually asserted that ZEQ2-lite and ESF shouldn't form a base of comparison is in the project's greatly differing core goals. While ESF is attempting to create a solid, traditional DBZ fighting experience, ZEQ2-lite is actually more about creating a general-purpose development platform for custom characters/mods. Any amount of poking into the grfx, phys, psys, tier, and other plethora of incredibly powerful configurations that were custom-created for ZEQ2-lite easily reveals the capability for any kind of anime spinoff or even complete 3D Mugen type environments to be created and maintained.

It may seem like that, but i can assure you that all 3 of our melee systems are based off of the ESF 1.0 simple melee system design. And thats quite different from what i saw in ZEQ2. Our throw and combo melee subsystems are nothing more than a simple melee hit with an extended animation time. What i saw in ZEQ2 was a lot closer to what they did in DBS. Though your way of doing it wins hands down compared to that.

Though it could be just the forced lock on that gave me that feeling.

And sorry if i came over a bit to rude with my previous comment. Its just that i dislike the idea that you have to be locked on to do any melee at all
Again, I wasn't asserting that there was direct influence from ZEQ2-lite to ESF's latest rendition -- merely that similarities of design DO actually exist. I've never actually played ESF (beyond the 1.0 alpha) or DBS to make any kind of factual comparisons thus my observations were mostly based on analyzation of video footage.

If requiring lockon to use melee is your greatest discomfort, a simple boolean can remedy that notion. The main reasoning for the hard-lock system and a non "free-use" melee stems both from series accuracy and usability. All in all, we felt that players just running around throwing punches randomly in the air (in a non-gesturing manner) was unnatural and unbefitting. Sure, characters in the series missed melee attacks a large portion of the time, but I can't recall any instances where Goku threw out a kick/punch in front of him with intention to strike with absolutely no one around. Granted this is easily solved from a simple radial trace check to perform the animations/maneuver, the principal remains that some degree of practicality should be sustained.

While I agree 100% that a soft-lock or no-lock system encourages more skill in aiming/movement coordination, our decision considers that characters will be moving at almost uncontrollably high speeds in a 360 degree sense to match series counterparts correctly. Given the desire to remove flailing wildly at open air, design choice to keep speeds proportionally/accurately scaled, and needs for the player to maintain aesthetically reasonable control, a hard lock system was implemented.

Besides all that, this is what server side cvars are for. The game itself can be radically turned on head by removing player's options to fly, boost, alter, melee, lockon, capping speeds, isolating allowed power level ranges, healing, etc. There are dozens of options to drastically alter how the experience handles with dozens more easily implemented upon request or by contributors.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do believe he was referring to Not-Zeq2, as that is the only Zeq2 talked about on this forum. The Is-Zeq2 may be the real Zeq2, or whatever spin you want to give it, but as no one has really seen anything in regards to that completely separate project run by completely different people with a completely similar name, one should, as a rule, assume one means Not-Zeq2 when Zeq2 is mentioned in this thread. If the opposite is true, I'm sure there will be a clarification on the part of the poster.

It certainly does seem that said person has placed ESF on a pedestal. And why not? Over the last decade plus, it's grown, adapted and evolved many times over, yet still remaining a wonderfully playable and enjoyable game. Not-Zeq2 isn't a game, and isn't meant to played, apparently, and exists solely as a platform, so to get, in a word, butt-hurt, that one would place Not-Zeq2 on a lower pedestal is slightly moronic, no? Comma, comma. Based solely on its merits and accomplishments, and how enjoyable it is as a game, I think its almost certainly safe to say it has accomplished more than Not-Zeq2 in the video game realm at this juncture. Not to compare, of course.

I'd like to take this moment to, on behalf of the forum, say I am truly sorry that you have to deal with self-righteousness and bigotry on this board. Truly and terribly sorry. It's a wonder that in the 21st century, this kind of behavior still exists, and on the internet of all places.

Also:

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Zeth said:
I'm honestly surprised that I have to humor this kind of bigotry and self-righteousness, but for some reason it seems to exist in particular die-hard fans (of any project) who have difficulty dealing with matters in open-minded or perceptually flexible regards.
by self righteousness you are referring to the rest of this post, right?

oh sorry..
on topic: this dbz app kinda blows.

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
My post was written to try and set a plateau of project neutrality -- not to induce a fruitless internet argument/backlash. Since the bulk of my post has been largely disregarded in favor of isolating an indirect and frivolous observation as a means to generalize my tone and attitude as detrimental (to ESF), I retract that statement and issue many apologies for any applicatively negative uses that may have been perceived.

I didn't post here to create a flame war, debate, or to project any air of superiority. I simply wanted to make an objective and non-condensing basis of similarity. I assure you have I have no goals other than that which are completely metronomic in a technical sense.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
My post was written to try and set a plateau of project neutrality -- not to induce a fruitless internet argument/backlash. Since the bulk of my post has been largely disregarded in favor of isolating an indirect and frivolous observation as a means to generalize my tone and attitude as detrimental (to ESF), I retract that statement and issue many apologies for any applicatively negative uses that may have been perceived.

I didn't post here to create a flame war, debate, or to project any air of superiority. I simply wanted to make an objective and non-condensing basis of similarity. I assure you have I have no goals other than that which are completely metronomic in a technical sense.
Well, regardless of what you were wanting to communicate, all we read was:

Zeth said:
bla bla I made a game but if it sucks its cuz it's not a game, it's a creative playform of cvars and server warp particles.
oh by the way guys I'm a pompous dingleberry.

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
This seems largely like a misunderstanding of my words and intentions on your part. Why would I suddenly burst into a thread claiming predominance -- on another forum no less? What feasible benefit would that have to either project?

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Oh you aren't claiming any superiority, you just have your silly hat on.

you big silly.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sorry, i forgot to add "Lite" to it. I was actually referring to that ZEQ2, the sandbox one.
And it's not necessary for me to place ESF on a pedestal because you see it can do that on it's own.
I don't understand why you're so pissed about all of this. People judge what they get (to play) and until ZEQ2-Lite brings something fun to play that's the way it is.
Anyway, good luck with your projects. I really do hope to see ZEQ2-Lite as a great alternative in the future. Cheers!

Best answers
I'm sorry, i forgot to add "Lite" to it. I was actually referring to that ZEQ2, the sandbox one.
And it's not necessary for me to place ESF on a pedestal because you see it can do that on it's own.
I don't understand why you're so pissed about all of this. People judge what they get (to play) and until ZEQ2-Lite brings something fun to play that's the way it is.
Anyway, good luck with your projects. I really do hope to see ZEQ2-Lite as a great alternative in the future. Cheers!
Then you should try the update mate :)
[video=youtube;iHFE4BVJhv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHFE4BVJhv8[/video]

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If this is like a Closed Beta than it got potential to be good. If this released as finished product than it's bad. Animations look like they aren't finished, characters body parts get's into weird shapes and positions when melee, also the beams trail gets bugged, the swoop trail should also blend in more not straight cut.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom