Zeq2 lite has released their version!

Best answers
The point, when making multiplayer games, is to make them easy to play, but hard to master. Meaning that anyone can play the game, but you need to spend some time playing to compete with good players. So you should consider taking a look at your control scheme.
O but that's how exactly how it is , the controls are easily learned in some matter of time, but that doesn't mean you are pro at it, there is a huge difference between the pro players who knows about the tactics of the game, and how to control their energy wisely while attacking and others. It's not that easy to master as you said it was :)

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Are you guys serious?!??!

You can change controls you know....WTF...

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Are you guys serious?!??!

You can change controls you know....WTF...
You cannot change the controls. You can change the mapping. Which leaves you with exactly the same possibilities everyone else has.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You cannot change the controls. You can change the mapping. Which leaves you with exactly the same possibilities everyone else has.
seeing as how the source code is(was?) available, you actually can change the controls.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
seeing as how the source code is(was?) available, you actually can change the controls.
Might be. But adding truly new control capabilities probably qualifies as cheating. If it's even compatible with the "real" version after the changes.

As for ESF... not so much changing there.

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I think you'd need to be more specific with your control complaints. The ONLY two specific complaints I've ever heard is that it didn't follow the dedicated "press key to toggle fly" like BFP/ESF/SOS/etc., but rather went with an alternatively intuitive "press move up to move up". The other bit I've heard is that the jump key wasn't used for moving up while in the air (which wouldn't make much sense due to move up/down being cardinal direction buttons while jump is a action/response button).

I agree, however, that clarifications need to be made in the UI concerning altering power level up/down and transforming up/down. Most of the UI control labels are still the same as they were made in 2004.

The point, when making multiplayer games, is to make them easy to play, but hard to master. Meaning that anyone can play the game, but you need to spend some time playing to compete with good players. So you should consider taking a look at your control scheme.
"Simple, but with depth" is essentially my design credence. My own meandering in the codebase was mostly just an extension on the existing one (RiO's), thus I haven't touched every facet of design to apply this practice. Regardless of that, I don't think you can really dismiss the basic movement controls as being overly complex for the user since they are almost entirely based off of Descent's control scheme -- a scheme that garnered much success/praise for it's movement flexibility albeit challenging spatial awareness.

Might be. But adding truly new control capabilities probably qualifies as cheating. If it's even compatible with the "real" version after the changes.
You could add new controls via code, yes. You could just as easily build a very basic Quake 3 script and bind it to a key press to do the same controls. No, this doesn't qualify as cheating either as a lot of people built their own control schemas from scripts back in the day.

Best answers
Whats wrong with the controls? This is nit picking on a level I haven't seen in a long time :p It's simple enough to figure out the controls, so it can't be that. Not enough control? Too many keys?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whats wrong with the controls? This is nit picking on a level I haven't seen in a long time :p It's simple enough to figure out the controls, so it can't be that. Not enough control? Too many keys?
It's not the controls as much as the layout. While I admit some of the controls are a bit wacky (especially when you're learning), I took the time to make the layout similar to ESF's, and I had an easier time playing when I was first given the chance to play.

Best answers
Ohh you mean the default controls? I don't use the default layout :p I have my Q and E keys for up and down instead of rolling. Movement is very much an important aspect of the game, on the same level as energy management. Change your usual 'fly' key in other DBZ mods to 'fly up' in this game and you'll find it plays extremely similar, if you wanted it to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom