Will ESF ever be noob friendly again?

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Gurbir - The style he's talking about is the style alot of players used to use back years ago. The typical run away style, drift around and only attack when the person sees a good time to do an angle or when he thinks his opponents ki is out.
That's what really brought down the fanbase a lot, then people got upset with the advanced melee system, and it was downhill from there. I guess the new question could be... has ESF ever been noob friendly?

The only likely time could honestly have been when the game first came out, and everyone was figuring things out. Oh, it was definately noob friendly in the Alpha days, when you moved 2 miles an hour and the game was just a pinball display of beams and blasts. But, in all honesty, we are trying to defend noobs here... and they probably don't even understand some of the points that have been made in this thread. We'll still be dealing people who don't understand the word practice and will find ways to complain about anything. I guess it really isn't about helping noobs and more about making the game a lot funner.

I'd hate for people to see this as me asking for an easy mode. I'm the kind of follower who fights a mix of moderate to super bots on a LAN and checks the updates once a week. I've played this game since 2002, so I've seen all the changes and what has ensued.

I just get sick of the super bots teleporting all the time. ;(

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the manual should bring noobs up to speed with tricks they can use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
honestly, I like how the SAM bar works right now.. Maybe having powerlevel differences make some sort of influence like how the ki is..

like disguise said, if your weaker you build up your sam bar faster, and if your strong already it builds slower. I REALLY do like that aspect, I can bring that up in a meeting. But capping things.. nah. not gonna happen.. ESF 1.3 is VERY VERY aggressive in every aspect. Speed, Melee, Beams, Offense, Defense. It is such a dramatic change to our previous releases. Everything is in real-time, there is no protective bubble protecting you. If your throwing someone and you get shot by a blast, you just might die while trying to defeat someone else.

A lot of new stuff... This is seriously like, ESF 2.0 basically. Nothing is really kept from the previous versions, except ofcourse for simple melee. Which I personally like to call 'basic melee'

anyway, in every way, I know that you all will have a lot of fun in this release. And hopefully the new players will stand a chance over time

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm disappointed if the entire game is different. I love ESF, I don't want another game. I WANT ESF. :p

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh... you'll get esf...
:)

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting. I just hate how some have said "It's an entirely new game, nothing like the old ESF", which defeats the purpose, cause alot of people love the old ESF and just wanted more of the same, just improved upon. :p

I'll trust you...though not easily. Lol.

Busy Busy Busy
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I wouldn't say it's entirely new. In fact, the new melee system was designed around concepts the community liked about melee from beta 1.2.3. There are certain mechanics that have changed that make the game play feel different, but in a very good way. For example, how the swoop button is activated and deactivated by holding shift. Also, the use of beams and melee is more evenly distributed.

Try taking a look at the Open Beta if you haven't already. It's a stepping stone to where the inteam is at now and where the next release will be.

Best answers
ESF will become much more popular once the bugs are worked out. I really really want to test the open beta, but right now I can't even run the new version :(

If someone serious as me can't even get it to run, that's a good reason for it not to be popular...

Keep in mind development takes time, but once the game is solid, hopefully the fan base will be too.

It's much better to release a finished product then to push something out as usable and have everyone quit playing it because it sucks. :)

Best answers
I've been playing ESF for a while, but not actually learning skills, because I get my ass kicked. I mostly just mess around with the transformations. I guess I am a n00b, even though I suck, I still enjoy the game, even if I go into a server and get pwd. My intent is to get better, which is hard since most people just kick your ass when you're trying to learn how to play. Not many are willing to help and teach a little, instead people just attack to win and find it pointless to help. I guess some people just don't have the patience to keep playing, even though they're getting their ass kicked and not learning anything. What I think should be added to the game to make it more n00b friendly, is to put in a training mode, since I don't think there is one, you know, like in the console games where it teaches you moves. I bet that would help many of the n00bs. That's just my input.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the biggest weapon in ESF is a players acuracy and reaction. And those cant be taught from a tutorial. Though we are planing to make a tutorial to help people get aquainted with the game. We cant really do anything about the player skill factor without preety much ruining the game.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the biggest weapon in ESF is a players acuracy and reaction. And those cant be taught from a tutorial. Though we are planing to make a tutorial to help people get aquainted with the game. We cant really do anything about the player skill factor without preety much ruining the game.
True. I've learned the majority of what I know from having my backside handed to me.

ESF was never pick-up-and-play anyway. I consider it a game of skill and not luck. Curse you Mario Kart Wii!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom